Brennan Johnson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We didn't sign him for peanuts so he's only doing what we signed him for really, making a contribution in the final third. He's never going to be the best player around technique wise, but he's lighting fast and knows where the goal is, which are two great attributes to have. He's 22 which is still nothing also. He has so much time to improve the weaker aspects of his game.

We didn't sign him for peanuts so he's only doing what we signed him for really, making a contribution in the final third. He's never going to be the best player around technique wise, but he's lighting fast and knows where the goal is, which are two great attributes to have. He's 22 which is still nothing also. He has so much time to improve the weaker aspects of his game.
I don’t think I’ve seen him take a shot from distance - does he have the ability to do so?

Does anyone in this team take shots from distance?

adam sandler film GIF

Like most of what you say, but at 22 his time to improve the weaknesses is passing fast, those t. hings need work on early is its as natural as walking
its like being 2 footed that has to start from when a child can stand & kick, did it with my lad and no-one could tell if best foot was left or right

They’re both behind on their expected goals. Johnson should probably have 5 assists instead of 7, which is decent.

The hope is that Brennan adds a lot more consistency and reliability to his game. Werner is what he’s always been and always will be.

Yup, Werner is what he is - 7th in the entire league for XG+XA per 90 for anyone playing a minimum number of minutes that he has.

Edit - only one winger above him too

Screenshot-2024-04-03-at-16-19-56.png

Does anyone in this team take shots from distance?
Son and Madders annd Porro to an extent are two of the top players in the league when it comes to shooting from distance.

I don’t know if BJ even has the ability to do so

I have never seen him do anything technically great other than a good cross here and there

Son and Madders annd Porro to an extent are two of the top players in the league when it comes to shooting from distance.

I don’t know if BJ even has the ability to do so

I have never seen him do anything technically great other than a good cross here and there

This season?

I can't remember the last time Son even came close to scoring from distance. And I can't remember the last time Maddison even had a shot worthy of discussion.

Yup, Werner is what he is - 7th in the entire league for XG+XA per 90 for anyone playing a minimum number of minutes that he has.

Edit - only one winger above him too

Screenshot-2024-04-03-at-16-19-56.png

He will categorically not do that across a season and over such a small sample size stats are absolutely misleading.

By actually watching games, Werner has been about what was expected. He causes issues but misses sitters and makes poor choices. Also very quick and very hard working.

Like I said, is what he is.

He's been hugely mis-profiled; 25-40 years ago he'd have been the fast striker chasing flick-ons from a targetman.

He's a Winger in the Realm of a Theo Walcott/Pedro/Diego Jota/Thomas Muller. Won't wow you on the ball, but they all knew how to attack space. It's also why I like him on the right because that's Porro's side and (last night was an exception) the Spaniard is normally an excellent technician. Add in Romero on that side of the pitch and you have 2 very capable passers.

On the left we need a 1v1 guy who can attract multiple opponents but who is also capable of combining with team-mates (Udogie and Maddison in particular). Kulusevski isn't a wide player in this system, Werner will never change, Bryan is a Bantamweight in a middleweights league and Solomon is a crock.

12 Goal involvements now? And counting

Brennan analysis is really really simple:

Kid has scored, assisted or got very close to scoring or assisting every time he’s played.

He has pace to burn and now likes to press and get stuck in.

22 now, by 24 he’s going to be a goal or assist per game and the price we paid will look like a steal.

Timo 6th in the league for XG per90+XA per90 for anyone with 620+ mins
Johnson is 11th in the league for XG per90+XA per90 for anyone with 1620+ mins
We need forwards who can reliably get into the right positions for their deliveries, or else the ones we have have to get better at the system

Was Antonio Valencia?
Man United won the title in 12/13
Valencia played 30 games and got 1 goal,
As a winger.
11 years ago in a much different era of football playing under the greatest manager ever…

What’s much more relevant is the current top 3 all have wingers far superior to ours and if we want to get to that level we need to do our best to upgrade ours.

I find it incredible anyone can watch us and not see that as an obvious area to be improved, the way we set up creates perfect one v one scenarios for our wide men to exploit and they are mostly wasteful. A top winger will be devasting in our system.

11 years ago in a much different era of football playing under the greatest manager ever…

What’s much more relevant is the current top 3 all have wingers far superior to ours and if we want to get to that level we need to do our best to upgrade ours.

I find it incredible anyone can watch us and not see that as an obvious area to be improved, the way we set up creates perfect one v one scenarios for our wide men to exploit and they are mostly wasteful. A top winger will be devasting in our system.
Every good team has a weak player or 2 in their regular sides. Or at least an unspectacular player.

Seeing signs of a truly excellent player here. Still young, still settling in, but got speed, stamina and seems to have a decent football brain on him.

Very confident he’ll be a huge hit for us in the coming seasons.

Well, when you look at their XG and XA vs the actual goals and assists scored bar Brennens XG they are all pretty much spot on.

Werner XG 3.6 - Actual Goals 2
Werner XA 2.6 - Actual Assists 3

Johnson XG 8.1 - Actual Goals 5
Johnson XA 5 - Actual Assists 7

There are very few players outperforming Brennan in terms of XA vs actual assists
Put even better players in those positions and see where we go. If we think these guys take us up a level then we are fucked and stand still. If they are back up to our first choices then that’s decent. We must improve our forward areas no matter what numbers they’re putting up just now.

Back
Top Bottom