Bale Madrid... it's Real!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

£100M wont go very far Sammy, theres a good article on dml about this.

http://www.dearmrlevy.com/dml/2013/7/31/bale-is-worth-more-than-100m-to-spurs

Didnt we just get Soldado for 26M and Paulinho fo 17M? Dembele was 15M....Real paid 30M for Modric and we agreed to pay 23M for Mountinho last summer.

If anyone thinks we cant improve with 100M then Im not sure why you think we can improve at all. People like to talk about finances and where the money goes...but who really has a clue other than the chairmen?

People talked on here before(in great detail) about us not being able to spend this summer.....50M so far and we are still looking. Bloggers are well and good, but with the greatest respect, they know fuck all in terms of what the club can or cant afford, and say nothing more than an opinion.

People bang on about "money talks"...so why cant Spurs attract top calibre players, if they have enough to pay for them, and pay them? Monaco are hardly a better prospect than Real, yet they can compete on transfers.

Same for us if we have the cash. I love the Bale of old....not the apparent mercenary version who seems to have lied to us. Fuck him if he's refusing to play, and demanding showdown talks.

Should we sell him next season, for 40M??!

Last edited:
I really don't think losing Bale would be as dire as losing Modric and VDV.

Bale had to carry us at the end of last season because our midfield were all injured and our strikers were woeful.

Now we have rectified those issues I believe we should be more consistent.

It would be amazing if we kept him, but losing him wouldn't be the harbinger of doom jealous goons and the press would have us believe

Lied to us? refusing to play? Showdown talks? Sounds like you are spending too long on newsnow, Sammy :adegrin2:

I thought Berbatov and Modric was all paper talk too, and defended them all the way..........at the end of the day, he hasnt quashed the rumours, and even if he did, it means nothing. Just like signing an extension will mean nothing.

If he's here in three years, I'll know I was wrong.

I'm pretty relaxed about players moving clubs now. There's no loyalty, but then again there isn't much loyalty from most clubs to their players either. As for loyalty to the fans? Unless you're a fan of the club yourself, why should you identify with them.

If I was at a company, and a another company with a bigger reputation came along and wanted to buy me out of my contract, pay my current employers a huge sum of money and tripple my wages I wouldn't give a rats ass about loyalty - no matter how nice my employers might be.

If he's off then £85-£100m is an unbelievable sum of cash and gives us the means to build a squad that can smash the scummers out of the CL places. Last season, with Bale, we didn't deserve top 4 - we sneaked so many games by a single goal margin while the clubs above us acheieved significantly better goal differences. The Bale money and new additions can build a team that dominates opposition in every part of the field.

I'd rather let him go on a free next year then sell him for 100M now (from my perspective anyway).
I'm just dying to see how far this team can go with Bale for one more season. He's so so good, next season could be amazing.

SuperJanFan

Its very obvious that you want to keep Bale, but my opinions selling dont deserved to be neg repped at every post.

I get it. You disagree.

:defoe:

honey-im-tired-come-to-bed-now-hold-on-someone-is-being-wrong-on-the-internet.png

So we lose 60M, and sell him anyway.......

:levylol:

well 85m is the figure being banded about

I'd say if we keep him, champions league is more or less a given, making us a more attractive destination and making it far easier to buy a replacement and will actually give us something to build upon.

So I see it as potentially a loss of 15m, add to that, if he were to leave the following season, we wouldn't be chopping and changing the side as much as we are now.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't sell him or that he's indispensable.

But I do believe that when we're already shifting the squad around a little with the 3 new signings, the option of replacing him when they're part of a settled team, is far more attractive than the other.

you view it in the short term, yeah we've lost 60 million

but you view it in the long term, we could miss out on more.

SuperJanFan

Its very obvious that you want to keep Bale, but my opinions on selling dont deserved to be neg repped at every post.

I get it. You disagree.

:defoe:
head-shake-o.gif

Suggest you check again Sammy, you'll see I didn't neg rep every post. Far from it. I only neg rep'd 2 out of 9 (or maybe it's ten, I lost count) of your posts on the last three pages (no posts in pages 4 and 5). So stop getting your nickers in a twist over nothing and imagining there's some kind of attack on you!

You know the "disagree" or "dislike" buttons are just that - you click it if you disagree or dislike the post and don't want to write a whole post explaining why (or even if you do, I guess). But as you seem to be upset about it and have gained the wrong impression that it's personal or something, let me explain why I disagreed with those posts:

Cant believe anyone would give a toss if we got 85-105M for him. Sell NOW.

THFC is bigger than Bale

I clicked "dislike" on this one. I might have clicked disagree but I agreed with your second sentence. Regarding the first comment, of course we should give a toss about losing our best player. You know, I care far more about having a good player to watch than anything else; watching the things that Bale can do is thoroughly entertaining, and even if we replaced him with four good players and that improved us overall (which isn't straight forward - I will get to that in a minute) chances are that we woudn't be so entertained.

Getting even £85-£105M for him (which at least some of, if not all, are guesses from the press on his value, given the range of figures we're being fed) is just money. I am a football fan, not a money fan. If I was a money fan, I'd collect coins or some shit. Now money is useful for buying other players, granted, but now we are drifting into your next post that I neg rep'd.

That money will allow us to be a better team without Bale, than with Bale.

So, if spent wisely we can become a club that players want to come to instead of the eternal stepping stone..

I clicked "disagree". Guess why. I don't agree that the money will allow us to be a better team without him. Here is a breakdown as to why:

1. We already have money, so I don't believe money is a big issue right this minute.

2. Chances are that 100% of that money will not go to new transfers. Some of it will likely go on the new stadium or other projects.

3. Chances are that we won't see all that money up front. So, lets say we get a third of it each season for three years, and we assume a fee somewhere in the middle, say £93M, that means £31M a summer. What will we spend that £31M on then that will make us a BETTER team than with Bale? Well, we coudl spend all of it on a single player, but like for like we wont be better as a team, clearly, so lets say two players costing around £15M each. Will this make us a better team? I don't think so.

4. We already have some very good players in almost all positions. To buy an upgrade isn't easy because there aren't that many better players out there really. The ones that are out there command large fees (which we could cover) but also large wages (which we probably could not) and are picked up by the largest clubs (this brings me to my next point)

5. We are currently a Europa league team. We can sell the ambition to be a CL team, and indeed, I'm sure we are doing that, but our competitors can sell the fact that they are already a CL team. So it is not easy to attract these players to your club over the competition. With the team we have right now, including Bale, there is good reason to predict a CL place next season, and with that comes the ability to attract these player upgrades that would make us a better team.

6. We could use a summer where we don't sell our best player. It affects the whole team and lessens our chances of CL next year which is worth loads of cash in itself.

7. Now this point, doesn't strictly answer your post above, but its part of the general picture, and part of why I think it makes most sense to keep him. Overall, in the last four seasons, Bale has improved. You can see improving game by game in periods and this has generated interest from Real to pay a record breaking fee. We can conclude then, that Bale is not a one season wonder, but will likely continue to improve. So, in addition to all the points above, it makes most sense to keep him for at least another season as he will improve further and actually go up in value further.

I didn't neg rep your net post #1085, even though I disagreed with it, as I had neg rep'd your previous post and didn't want to be excessive. But for the record, I didn't agree with that either, for all the reasons above, and because you said Bale isn't even close to being the best player in the world. Well, he isn't as good as Messi or Ronaldo (yet, and maybe never) but he is arguably third in the world, and if not third, then certainly very near the top, else he wouldn't be being talked about for a record breaking fee, so your comment makes no sense to me.

I agree with some of your post #1093 but not all of it. But, I didnt neg rep it. I don't agree that there is any evidence that he's had his head turned for instance. Just paper talk.

In a later post (#1103 - which again, I didn't neg rep) you show that you completely believe the press hype. Apparently our best player, who has never said anything against us, is now a mercenary, who lies to us, refuses to play and demands showdown talks. What I do dislike about fans of any club is that they say stuff like this about players before there is any evidence to back it up. A newspaper article written by a jerk is not evidence. In the following post, #1106 you cite Berbatov and Modric as examples, but those situations were different, as both made it clear (factually) that they wanted to go, if my memory serves me correctly.

So, in summary, I disliked one post out of 9 or 10 of yours, and disagreed with another...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom