Are you missing the European competition?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s pretty much a yes or no question.

Whatever your reasoning is behind it 8 clubs get to represent England in Europe from the football pyramid. Most fans will never watch their team play in Europe.

If you’re big enough to say “yeah not for me this year but I know we will be back so whatever” that’s pretty entitled no?

When you’re happy to make it through the first round of the FA vase or eve to just be in the FA vase believe me that’s an entitled viewpoint as a fan.
It's still all relative though.

I go watch my local team. If they got to Europe then you wouldn't take it for granted because it's not expected.

We're Tottenham. We should be fighting for Europe every season. That isn't an entitled attitude. It's the reality of who we support.

Most of us do have a pang of sadness that we're not in Europe this season but we balance that with the reality of our circumstances last season, through the summer and now this season.

Nope, with injuries as they are we’d have totally been screwed in the league. I am loving some of our league games currently and not being in Europe is helping us with them.

If and it’s a big if we get 5-6 good players to come in to upgrade the likes of Dier, Hojbjerg etc for next season then we will have a squad big enough to play Europe. It’s upto the club/board to get a big enough squad to enable us to play in Europe, currently we don’t have that.

Tbh I don't miss European competition as much I thought I would. I think that's Conte's fault though. I loved Europe under Poch but Conte just made it a chore and went out of his way to tell the world that we didn't belong against any team from Italy.

I'm with the majority here - a one-year break from European football, to give Ange a chance to settle in and start the rebuild is a bit of a blessing. Hopefully we'll be in Europe again next year.

If we'd have been in a European competition this year we'd probably be out of it now anyway, with even more injuries to contend with.

Not the Europa League but I thought the Conference was kind of fun. New teams with odd names.
Chicken Reaction GIF by Yevbel

For one season, hopefully, no. As enough have mentioned, the rebuild wouldn't have been helped by the additional matches.

It's still all relative though.

I go watch my local team. If they got to Europe then you wouldn't take it for granted because it's not expected.

We're Tottenham. We should be fighting for Europe every season. That isn't an entitled attitude. It's the reality of who we support.

Most of us do have a pang of sadness that we're not in Europe this season but we balance that with the reality of our circumstances last season, through the summer and now this season.

I was always there with 27k other people in the Europa league after we failed to qualify for Europe for a lot of seasons.
Now we are above the Europa and conference league. It’s here in black and white.

Fuck me I hate our fans. I hope our players don’t feel this way too.

Like I say it should be an honour for a young man to step onto white hart lane and represent our club.

3 wins in Englands 2nd best cup competition in 25 odd years. Last trophy won in Europe almost 40years ago. Closer to 50 than 20……….

And during that time how many times have we not been in Europe?
How many times do you expect us to miss out in the next 10?

But we have as a fanbase become entitled as fuck as your post 100% proves. The 00s weren’t that long ago.

If it wasn't for the barrage of injuries; I'd say yes 100%. m I'd have loved to have seen us a have a proper stab at the Europa League this year otherwise. We could have won it.

.....People would have got to see some of the kids they're seemingly so desperate for Ange to play too.

Not missing it as much I thought I would. I do miss the ball tingling CL anthem but in fairness, had we have come fourth last year and got the same group Newcastle did, I don’t think we would have made it out of the group either which means we’d be probably in a worse position in the league then we currently sit with all the injuries we have and it wouldn’t have been good for morale.

Maybe going against what most people want on here, I think I’d prefer getting in to the Europa next year as I think we would have a genuine chance of winning. I think we have a hungry young group of players who’d be very much up for winning it. I think we’re 2-3 windows off really competing for the CL so what do people want; a Europa league trophy or getting knocked out of the quarters/group stage in the CL…..

If people told that if we had an option of winning the FA Cup and Europa over the next two seasons but that meant no CL football, I’d bite your hand off

Yes, EUFA and CL, we have only won 2 league cups since 1991.

And arrogance of some people to think we have a right to be picky.

We get to be picky when we are consistently winning stuff.

I miss the idea of playing in Europe more than the reality of it. When the spring comes and the matches are bigger clubs with more at stake, I'll miss the rush of it, I'm sure.

But even in the CL I tend not to enjoy the group stage all that much (beyond the excitement/outrage of the draw). Too many matches at the beginning of the season when we're still trying to bed in new signings and being forced to participate in the Cartoon Cup as well.

Of course I miss being part of it. But I do think that the break from it is perfect for the sort of systematic rebuild that we are going through. It gives us a full year or mainly just league football were we can focus on setting the foundation for the future.

I hope that we get some form of European football next season. Even if it is just the EL or the Conference. The EL is a quality competition now as well.

Would have meant more Sunday games, which for me, is great!

However, with an #Angeball philosophy being built, no euro distractions is good news IMO.

Yes I miss the European matches but let’s be honest with the high energy style, the lack of back up players and now the injuries and suspensions we would now be out of Europe.

Back
Top Bottom