Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But Celtic still had the the best (resourced) squad in the Scottish league. We are a long way from having the best resourced squad in the PL, therefore the quality ratio was much more preferential to Celtic than us.

Celtic's net spend over the last 5 years was 17m, and that's double the next biggest in SPL. Ours is 4th, and the last two years Newcastle beat it too. But also the level of revenue in the PL mean even most of the rest have the resources to hire some of Europe's best managers and recruit much better quality players.
we have the best CB and best inverted FBs in the EPL - or so they say 2 months ago. You mean we don't?
We have Dragusin resting and most of our best youngsters out on loan/.

we shouldn't be conceding that many goals & collapsing with 3-0s or 4-0s. That's not just losing a competitive match or bad luck.

But Celtic still had the the best (resourced) squad in the Scottish league. We are a long way from having the best resourced squad in the PL, therefore the quality ratio was much more preferential to Celtic than us.

Celtic's net spend over the last 5 years was 17m, and that's double the next biggest in SPL. Ours is 4th, and the last two years Newcastle beat it too. But also the level of revenue in the PL mean even most of the rest have the resources to hire some of Europe's best managers and recruit much better quality players.
Agreed that it’s preferential. Just not by the huge amount many on here seem to believe. Reading posts on here you’d think it was a team of full internationals against a basket of poorly kittens every week up here. It’s really not.

The quality ratio (thank you - I was grasping as to what to call it) is a close run thing.

Agreed that it’s preferential. Just not by the huge amount many on here seem to believe. Reading posts on here you’d think it was a team of full internationals against a basket of poorly kittens every week up here. It’s really not.

The quality ratio (thank you - I was grasping as to what to call it) is a close run thing.

The quality ratio is bigger than you reckon though when you use salary budgets, which are even more of an indicator of success. Celtic’s is 25% bigger than Rangers, 600% bigger than the next best (Aberdeen).

Celtic have a bigger ratio of budget superiority over the SPL than City do in the PL. spurs by comparison are 7th in the PL.

A front 3 of Son, Werner and Johnson suggests we should be a counter attacking team. Quick players who like to get behind defenses - but they are about as useful as a chocolate teapot with their back to goal.

We simply are not getting to ball up the pitch quick enough and are allowing the opposition time to setup and get into shape before we mount our offence. This is down to Bissouma never looking to play a forward pass and ALWAYS going back to Romero - who takes him time....then takes more time....then passes it sideways.

Son needs to be playing as a 2nd striker, paired with somebody who can do the muscle work of holding up the ball and winning aerial duels. For that reason, Kulusevski really must be starting as he is the only player we have that can really battle for balls in the final 3rd.

Bissouma is in the top 10% of midfielders for passing forwards. Top 23% for carrying forwards.

You do realise we have two other midfielders and two midfield FB’s whose job it is to progress the ball?

Remember how all the die hard enic supporters kept telling us to be patient because the new super bowl and extra revenue was the key to the next level and major trophy success. :roflmao: :roflmao:. .That was funny.

We've been in there 5 years, have massively regressed, and now they're telling us we need patience for another 3 year squad rebuild..

Honestly. You couldn't make this shit up.:mourloopy:
I'm expecting them to have placards next like the US elections, singing "4 more years" "4 more years".
Honestly they make it up as they go along.

Bissouma is in the top 10% of midfielders for passing forwards. Top 23% for carrying forwards.

You do realise we have two other midfielders and two midfield FB’s whose job it is to progress the ball?

I haven't seen any recent evidence of Bissouma moving the ball forward. Lots of 1-2's with Romero.

Against Newcastle, Bissouma and Bentencaur were on the pitch for 60 minutes and had 40 touches of the ball each. Given that we had 74% possession, that suggests that our midfielders simply are not involved whatsoever in our passing. Hojbjerg was on for 30 minutes and managed 66 touches.

Bissouma and Bentencaurs combined passes is less thatn Hojbjerg.

Bissouma's job should be to distrupt play, slow down the other team and provide quick turnover of the ball to our forward players. I've seen none of these attributes from him. I didn't even know he was on the pitch until the tail end of the 1st half.

I'm not suggesting he is a bad player - but he clearly is not doing what is asked of him by the coach - something that Conte dropped him for. So maybe, he's just a bit thick.

The style play between Spurs and Celtic is substantially different, it could easily be two different managers. With Spurs the wingers are too static, they rarely run and beat the defenders on the ouside, the striker isn't sitting on the shoulder of the last defender, the midfielders aren't smashing shots from outside the box..

Celtic played the same way whether they played Madrid (both Real and Atletico), Betis, Leverkusen, Leipzig. You can't tell me the clubs in the EPL are all better resourced than these teams.

There's something that has changed or is not clicking.

Opposition tactics when playing against us is becoming extremely obvious.

1) surrender possession to us in areas deemed to not be dangerous.

2) pack midfield and deliver ball to wide players as quick as possible.

3) when cb's have ball go for long ball to attackers as quick as possible.

22/23 the 3rd best team had a negative gd of -4 and lost 17 games.

The season before he got there Celtic only played 30 games and had a +70 GD.
Our fans got excited when we scored 60 goals!!

Have you gone mad???

:ange-lol: :ange-lol: :ange-lol: :ange-lol:

The style play between Spurs and Celtic is substantially different, it could easily be two different managers. With Spurs the wingers are too static, they rarely run and beat the defenders on the ouside, the striker isn't sitting on the shoulder of the last defender, the midfielders aren't smashing shots from outside the box..

Celtic played the same way whether they played Madrid (both Real and Atletico), Betis, Leverkusen, Leipzig. You can't tell me the clubs in the EPL are all better resourced than these teams.

There's something that has changed or is not clicking.

Of course something has changed.

He’s in a different league with much better opposition.

For context. This season. Aston Villa are in the conference. A competition the majority of our own fans view as being below us.
Finish 7th in the league and that’s your reward.

Villa played Hibernian in qualifying round. Who finished 5th in Scotland.

The type of team AberdeenYid AberdeenYid says aren’t really that bad.

Villa beat them 8-0 on aggregate.

It should be clear to everyone Ange is just learning about life in the premier league this season.
Levels above what he’s been used to week in week out before.

Opposition tactics when playing against us is becoming extremely obvious.

1) surrender possession to us in areas deemed to not be dangerous.

2) pack midfield and deliver ball to wide players as quick as possible.

3) when cb's have ball go for long ball to attackers as quick as possible.

And yet, the games we have lost have still been 99% self-inflicted by executing badly.

If we hadn't played like cunts against Fulham and Newcastle we could have beaten both. In fact, the same tactics were played by both teams and we beat them in the reverse fixture...

He looks lost and run out of ideas. Its not going to be a pleasant end to the season, a few more hidings our way. But he has done well to get us to 5th. 5th/6th would be about right and is a respectable finish.
Next season is the real test.

I have a very bad theory for one of the reasons we have been ineffective in attack since November. Maddison said it they are scared of taking riskier passes which means we are getting easier to read this especially the case against Fulham where they were jumping on our pass routes and the players were just waiting for the ball. We have become predictable so we end up playing easier and easier passes because even our more complicated pass routes are being cut off.

The problem is we are no longer making triangles making short quick passes, We can blame one single player but it is the whole team and the mindset they have been drilled into because we were playing with one fit centre back and did not want to preassure on the defence.

I am not absolving Ange it is his job to recognise bad habits and change things and it could be he needs a better coaching team to support him.

I do not thingk Matt Wells and Ryan Mason have the experience to support Ange.

No-one has patience for a rebuid anymore at this club, they want to win now hence why everyone is in meltdown mode every time we go through a perceived bad moment, the Woolwich thing a massive factor as well.
But what are we rebuilding into? I'm tired of people harping on about a rebuild season after season.

Back
Top Bottom