Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which 2 is that in your opinion?

Fulham away and Newcastle away. By job, I mean not just parking a bus and smash and grab, but trying something more aggressive and actually getting a good result.

And as I said, I think we were doing fine on Saturday until a bunch of individual fuck ups in a couple of minutes gifted them the game.

Others teams have beaten us but none by doing anything tactically stupendous.

Last edited:
Fulham away and Newcastle away. By job, I mean not just parking a bus and smas and grab, but trying something more aggressive and actually getting a good result.

And as I said, I think we were doing fine on Saturday until a bunch of individual fuck ups in a couple of minutes gifted them the game.

I understood what you meant...... Was just curious because you made it sound like yesterday's NC game wasn't one of them.

It felt like Wolves did well tactically in the home game too (although the scoreline wasn't such a horror); but in terms of FFC & NC, if you combine that with too many players playing poorly then baaaad things happen.

Others teams have beaten us but none by doing anything tactically stupendous.

I bet they'd vehemently argue otherwise should anyone attempt to buy them o_O

This has been the big problem for me...early on on the season when things were clicking our passing was so slick and quick. We were playing out from the back and carving teams open but we don't seem to be doing that anymore. We have seen glimpses of it, West Ham away first 20 mins springs to mind, but on the whole we have just been far too slow on the ball. Letting the opposition get organised then eventually lose it and get hit on the break.

There is lethal quality across the Premier League that will punish you for every mistake. Strikers like Toney play for the 15th placed club, for example.

Ange could absolutely get away with more up there as there simply isn't the quality to put you to the sword every time the system gets exposed.
I know that.

I also know that the players he had playing for him weren’t as good as the players he has now. He had CCV as his best centre back!

My point is that there are players in Scotland that could punish Celtic. Not as good as the ones in England, but the team he managed wasn’t very strong either. But his style of play won through.

There is lethal quality across the Premier League that will punish you for every mistake. Strikers like Toney play for the 15th placed club, for example.

Ange could absolutely get away with more up there as there simply isn't the quality to put you to the sword every time the system gets exposed.

I agree with you last point, but he also needs strikers that can do same to the opposition.

If Werner takes his two chances, its 2-0 Pep's front 3 don't miss those.

Howe then has to chase the game. That's when things get interesting because Howe won't be playing with 5 at the back for 65 minutes and scoring 4.

As I said in earlier post it doesn't matter if its Dundee or Real Madrid, Celtic opened them both just the same..BUT he needs need the quality to take the chances.

The real concern for me is that the team has not improved when its the second half of the season that Postecoglou's teams start to get going. That hasn't escaped his attention and if he has the opportunity there will be a few players surprised when they're told they're being shipped out. He is absolutely ruthless when it comes to that.

I understood what you meant...... Was just curious because you made it sound like yesterday's NC game wasn't one of them.

I think yesterday is worth a debate.. Yes, they did something different tactically than just park a bus, but I'm not sure it's actually the smartest tactic against us, we were controlling things and getting past the press reasonably ok for 30 minutes, had already created one great chance, and I think their first goal came from a breakaway and second from a total gift by Porro and VDV (maybe they would argue the tactics are what created the pressure on Porro to make the mistake). We became chaotic for the next 15, rattled by conceding two quick goals. The third is also a long hump that VDV fucks up on again.

It felt like Wolves did well tactically in the home game too (although the scoreline wasn't such a horror); but in terms of FFC & NC, if you combine that with too many players playing poorly then baaaad things happen.

My memory is we were just awful that day, possibly the most passive we were in any game bar ManC away. But maybe I'm doing Wolves a disservice and not giving them enough credit.

My memory is we were just awful that day, possibly the most passive we were in any game bar ManC away. But maybe I'm doing Wolves a disservice and not giving them enough credit.

Perhaps I need to watch that game again; but it felt like they outplayed us (rather than the bus park, late smash n' grab they pulled at their place).

Agree about the NC game.... Sometimes things just snowball; but as the game went on they looked so comfortable (whilst we looked so vulnerable).

Last edited:
First sign of a setback?

We’ve been shit since November.

It's very funny that the Newcastle game came as a surprise to some. This team has been crawling its way through fodder for ages. Teams with any quality who are having a half decent game put us in the fucking ground at the moment.

This thing about “yes, it’s all well and good doing it in Scotland” is getting boring now. To be fair, yes, Celtic are one of two dominant sides in that league. So he’s a step ahead there. But it’s only a step.

Celtic have lost the same number of matches this season as City and Liverpool. One less than Woolwich. Goal difference isn’t spectacularly better. The gap between the top two and the rest in Scotland is the same as the gap between the top three and the rest in England. The Scottish league is more competitive than people seem to realise. And if it’s not, it’s certainly comparable to the top division in England.

Yes, Celtic are the top side in Scotland, but they aren’t so far ahead of the competition as many believe. A step up on where we are as a club, but only a step. If Ange’s tactics and style of play can work there, it certainly could work here too.

Different.
I am a Celtic fan so I shld know.

The way angeball being played in Celtic is different . The players movement & ball speed much quicker. The football is more direct & there is always an end product from maeda, furuhashi, o'reilly etc. When Jota was bossing the left flank 2 seasons ago - he would just dribble past 2 or 3 guys and unleash into the box.

Different altogether except for possession football.

Spurs = mindless possession with no end product.

Last edited:
Perhaps I need to watch that game again; but it felt like they outplayed us (rather than the bus park, late smash n' grab they did at their place).

Agree about the NC game.... Sometimes things just snowball; but as the game went on they looked so comfortable (whilst we looked so vulnerable).

Thinking about it, maybe Brighton away could be on that list.

Different.

The way angeball being played in Celtic is different . The players movement & ball speed much quicker. The football is more direct & there is always an end product from maeda, furuhashi, o'reilly etc.

Spurs = mindless possession with no end product

Spurs are playing a vastly higher quality quality of opponent than Celtic were, it's nowhere near as easy to walk through teams the way Celtic could in the Scottish league, especially when you're not the most financially well resourced team in the league.

Spurs are playing a vastly higher quality quality of opponent than Celtic were, it's nowhere near as easy to walk through teams the way Celtic could in the Scottish league, especially when you're not the most financially well resourced team in the league.
that doesn't excuse the slow tippy tappy and not related to quality of opponents. it's the style and methods. You can still be direct with the top teams.

The way spurs play is always to 'walk the ball' into the net from 2 yards out of the opp goalie.
Celtics scores from all angle and distance. Not just tap ins. McGregor and O'reilly and Hatate let fly from 30m.

Again with the vastly higher quality of opponent. Which is true. But look at the Celtic players mentioned. They’d not get a look in at a decent English club.

Celtic = shite players against shite opposition.
Spurs = much better players against much better opposition.

Different.

The way angeball being played in Celtic is different . The players movement & ball speed much quicker. The football is more direct & there is always an end product from maeda, furuhashi, o'reilly etc. When Jota was bossing the left flank 2 seasons ago - he would just dribble past 2 or 3 guys and unleash into the box.

Wandered way past my point there man.

Thinking about it, maybe Brighton away could be on that list.

I didn't really see it that way in that game (in terms of a tactical game; just Brighton being Brighton)...... A soft pen and a couple of bangers gave us a 1st half mountain to climb, but by the end of the 90 it didn't feel like they were worth a 2 goal margin. The comeback was well and truly on and at 4-2 with 2 more goals already chalked off; it might have ended different if Dunk had have rightfully been sent off.

Last edited:
Again with the vastly higher quality of opponent. Which is true. But look at the Celtic players mentioned. They’d not get a look in at a decent English club.

Celtic = shite players against shite opposition.
Spurs = much better players against much better opposition.

But Celtic still had the the best (resourced) squad in the Scottish league. We are a long way from having the best resourced squad in the PL, therefore the quality ratio was much more preferential to Celtic than us.

Celtic's net spend over the last 5 years was 17m, and that's double the next biggest in SPL. Ours is 4th, and the last two years Newcastle beat it too. But also the level of revenue in the PL mean even most of the rest have the resources to hire some of Europe's best managers and recruit much better quality players.

A front 3 of Son, Werner and Johnson suggests we should be a counter attacking team. Quick players who like to get behind defenses - but they are about as useful as a chocolate teapot with their back to goal.

We simply are not getting to ball up the pitch quick enough and are allowing the opposition time to setup and get into shape before we mount our offence. This is down to Bissouma never looking to play a forward pass and ALWAYS going back to Romero - who takes him time....then takes more time....then passes it sideways.

Son needs to be playing as a 2nd striker, paired with somebody who can do the muscle work of holding up the ball and winning aerial duels. For that reason, Kulusevski really must be starting as he is the only player we have that can really battle for balls in the final 3rd.

I didn't really see it that way in that game (in terms of a tactical game; just Brighton being Brighton)...... A soft pen and a couple of bangers gave us a 1st half mountain to climb, but by the end of the 90 it didn't feel like they were worth a 2 goal margin. The comeback was well and truly on and with 2 goals already written off; it might have ended different if Dunk had have rightfully been sent off.

Yeah, maybe you're right. I'd have to rewatch.

Different.

100% spot on.

Back
Top Bottom