Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If you think it's easy then you don't understand elite football. It doesn't have to be 'easy' for it not to be compatible with garnering enough points to win a title which is my concern. This utterly faithbased idea being punted 'if the players lose belife it won't work' is hillarous. It won't work if it does not provide enough defensive security to keep clean sheets period no matter how much you believe.

I wonder how long the unquestioning loyalty to an untested idea will last, I'm going to put a clock on it. I don't think the players have lost an iota of 'belife' think there was full buy in at Fulham Newcastle Chelsea. Wow all this talk of belife its like Kevin Keegans back.😏

Well, that’s it then because Ange ain’t going to suddenly give up his philosophy…

I guess we will find out. If every team just does that “tactx” and beats us then he won’t be here long.

Well, that’s it then because Ange ain’t going to suddenly give up his philosophy…

I guess we will find out. If every team just does that “tactx” and beats us then he won’t be here long.

Indeed, our fans are funny, first sign of a set back and they're ready to throw the go karts out the stadium, so many Plan B merchants in our fanbase and fans expecting overnight fixes lol

There's a question on Ange and the way he sets us up but he's not stupid, he's too smart to see these things but there's a far bigger question for the board in how they will support him going forward.

And here it is. This is too easy. Ffs I worked this out, inverting both fullbacks will not work long term. Its too easy to exploit. It's not a personnel issue it's inherent flaws out weigh the good.

Nearly every team’s system is reasonably easy to work out. reactive teams are doing this every week. But good proactive systems, well coached often still come out on top.

It sounds easy to say, but it’s not as easy to stop our system as it sounds, as you have to commit more bodies higher up (other teams have tried and failed similar tactics - 1 to 1 marking, having men following Bissouma and Maddison, trying to block vertical passing channels etc) which many teams are scared to do, preferring mid/deep blocks.

There’s only been two teams all season who have really done a job on us, and I think there was a huge element of individual self destruct yesterday, neither of their opening goals really came from their tactics. And we mullered them at ours.

But one tactical problem we have is, if teams do try to overload, which is discussed in that thread, is the inability of our forward group to help out with the build up or with the counter press, because none of them can play facing their own team, coughing up the ball too easily and they are all weak on pressing/duels. Which if we get players who can, it would make even harder to stop us.

I think we need another quality 8 option that can play with Maddison, so creativity and build up aren’t so predictable. As well.

View: https://x.com/tactx_/status/1779488400564715874?s=46&t=IomICbZIqZC4FsH907qgfw

Nearly every team’s system is reasonably easy to work out. reactive teams are doing this every week. But good proactive systems, well coached often still come out on top.

It sounds easy to say, but it’s not as easy to stop our system as it sounds, as you have to commit more bodies higher up (other teams have tried and failed similar tactics - 1 to 1 marking, having men following Bissouma and Maddison, trying to block vertical passing channels etc) which many teams are scared to do, preferring mid/deep blocks.

There’s only been two teams all season who have really done a job on us, and I think there was a huge element of individual self destruct yesterday, neither of their opening goals really came from their tactics. And we mullered them at ours.

But one tactical problem we have is, if teams do try to overload, which is discussed in that thread, is the inability of our forward group to help out with the build up or with the counter press, because none of them can play facing their own team, coughing up the ball too easily and they are all weak on pressing/duels. Which if we get players who can, it would make even harder to stop us.

I think we need another quality 8 option that can play with Maddison, so creativity and build up aren’t so predictable. As well.

View: https://x.com/tactx_/status/1779488400564715874?s=46&t=IomICbZIqZC4FsH907qgfw

Great post.

I agree with everything you’ve said there.

Your best mate Kulusevski would have really helped us yesterday.

But I also think the players went away from facing up to the pressure. Bissouma and Maddison are good enough to receive under pressure from Isak and Gordon, beat them and carry us up the pitch. That never happened though. What we got instead was Vicario going back to his Italian “tactics” and hoofing it long all the time.

Nah. Not true. In Scotland you don't have Unai Emery managing the fourth placed side. You don't have the likes of Ancelotti rocking up at fucking Everton. Things that work in Scotland won't work in England, the quality of tactics is much higher, coaches here aren't impressed or scared by an intense press or a high line, you need more variation.

None of which is to say that Ange can't work here, but the same tactics used as Celtic would not work in England. There aren't random mid-table teams in Scotland like Brighton with a De Zerbi in charge and a team of top internationals. It's a completely different level in all senses, someone like Potter going from Ostersund to England shows this. His ideas were unique there, he's ten a penny here.
I get all that about Emery and Ancelotti. The quality in England is so much higher than Scotland.

The point I was trying to make is that all things are relative. People speak on here as if Celtic are miles ahead of everyone else up here, when that’s just not the case. Hearts are as close to Celtic as Villa are to City. His time up here wasn’t the open goal many on here perceive it to be.

Woolwich.

It's hurting people even if they don't want to admit it, they want the club to magically be up there challenging also despite only having one summer window to change the team for a new managers completely different method of football
I think it will require spending more money for a striker than the team might care to. Just think how much different Spurs would look if they had a player like Isaak up front.

Nearly 25 years of ownership, we have not seen the intent yet.
Remember how all the die hard enic supporters kept telling us to be patient because the new super bowl and extra revenue was the key to the next level and major trophy success. :roflmao: :roflmao:. .That was funny.

We've been in there 5 years, have massively regressed, and now they're telling us we need patience for another 3 year squad rebuild..

Honestly. You couldn't make this shit up.:mourloopy:

I think it’s been happening for a while. Gordon confirmed the approach to go one v one against us in an interview after the game.

Is there a game that Gordon doesn’t go 1 v 1?

That’s what he does. It’s what Newcastle does too.

If he’d said we planned to keep possession and play tiki taka, then maybe we could be talking about Eddie’s master plan.

We played shit. It was annoying. The world isn’t ending for Ange ball.

Yeah ...Well un- like Rich who just kind of stuck his thumb in his mouth, you have attempted to address exactly the point im making. I NEVER said it would remain too easy to counter. I explicitly said it didn't have to be easy. All that matters is Silva, Howe and a few others have enough elite players to exploit the fallibility. However hard it is to stop us getting where we need to be if Wolves Newcastle and Fulham can make it work twice a season we have an issue.

You also pointed out exactly what I have said at least seven times, regarding tweeking the system, Rich seems to think Ange is too willful to do this I doubt that. He doesn't have to abandon his system but there is scope to refine it.

I also have been screaming for a top class alternative to Maddison for the exact reason you state. There's seem very little between our assessment of what our problems are and how we fix them. It's folk like Richard Arlison Richard Arlison that behave as if it's heretical to not simply think its all perfect its not.

This Spurs team is not the finished article anyone with a brain can see that an more importantly Ange is blowing smoke up the credulous because I'm sure he knows that its not simply about being 'brave". It's not about just doing 'IT' better either there are adjustments to make, I back him to do it.

Last edited:
I get all that about Emery and Ancelotti. The quality in England is so much higher than Scotland.

The point I was trying to make is that all things are relative. People speak on here as if Celtic are miles ahead of everyone else up here, when that’s just not the case. Hearts are as close to Celtic as Villa are to City. His time up here wasn’t the open goal many on here perceive it to be.
There is lethal quality across the Premier League that will punish you for every mistake. Strikers like Toney play for the 15th placed club, for example.

Ange could absolutely get away with more up there as there simply isn't the quality to put you to the sword every time the system gets exposed.

Yeah ...Well un- like Rich who just kind of stuck his thumb in his mouth, you have attempted to address exactly the point im making. I NEVER said it would remain too easy to counter. I explicitly said it didn't have to be easy. All that matters is Silva, Howe and a few others have enough elite players to exploit the fallibility. However hard it is to stop us getting where we need to be if Wolves Newcastle and Fulham can make it work twice a season we have an issue.

You also pointed out exactly what I have said at least seven times, regarding tweeking the system, Rich seems to think Ange is too willful to do this I doubt that. He doesn't have to abandon his system but there is scope to refine it.

I also have been screaming for a top class alternative to Maddison for the exact reason you state. There's seem very little between our assessment of what our problems are and how we fix them. It's folk like Richard Arlison Richard Arlison that behave as if it's heretical to not simply think its all perfect its not.

This Spurs team is not the finished article anyone with a brain can see that an more importantly Ange is blowing smoke up the credulous because I'm sure he knows that its not simply about bring 'brave". It's not about just doing 'IT' better either there are adjustments to make, I back him to do it.

Mate, I’m not saying Ange shouldn’t tweak and refine the system. I’m willing to bet they are trying to do that every week in training.
Whether or not we can always see it or not is different.

Where I’m saying Ange won’t change is on things like inverting the FBs. That’s not something you change mid season. Maybe in the summer they look at things again like Pep is often doing when he goes from inverted FB to an extra CB but for now we have to stick to our guns and get better at it.

Which 2 is that in your opinion?

Indeed, our fans are funny, first sign of a set back and they're ready to throw the go karts out the stadium, so many Plan B merchants in our fanbase and fans expecting overnight fixes lol

There's a question on Ange and the way he sets us up but he's not stupid, he's too smart to see these things but there's a far bigger question for the board in how they will support him going forward.
First sign of a setback?

We’ve been shit since November.

Back
Top Bottom