Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just don’t have a lazy 10k
All tied up in bitcoin, tulips and land holding futures in Louisiana

Shitty odds on Spurs anyway. Leicester got 5000-1 with 38 games to play and equal points and GD with everyone.

We are 9 points behind city with shit GD and 12 games to play!! Should be 10000-1.

Even then I’d probably still put £20 on the lottery before spurs winning the league this season.

I don't understand why we're so passive now.

We know how Ange likes to set us up, so its not manager instructions. But the players just aren't taking risks and would rather play it safe instead and I don't know why.

I don't think it's just down to teams playing in low blocks either. Obviously sitting deep makes it harder to break teams down but it doesn't explain why we don't at least try to create spaces and pull players out of position to begin with.

I swear we were doing exactly that early on in the season against similar teams, it's not like we've just started facing low blocks.

We move the ball far too slowly.

We know how Ange likes to set us up, so its not manager instructions. But the players just aren't taking risks and would rather play it safe instead and I don't know why.

I don't think it's just down to teams playing in low blocks either. Obviously sitting deep makes it harder to break teams down but it doesn't explain why we don't at least try to create spaces and pull players out of position to begin with.

I swear we were doing exactly that early on in the season against similar teams, it's not like we've just started facing low blocks.
The simple answer is probably the correct one. So I am going with general fatigue and wear and tear.

Yes, we don't have European football. But Ange is still not super big on rotating so even with one game a week the players are going to be worn down by now when you combine playing games with the training sessions during the week. A fair few of them are probably playing through minor injuries as well (looking at you, Bentancur).

So my take is that players are playing at a lower intensity to make it through games.

The simple answer is probably the correct one. So I am going with general fatigue and wear and tear.

Yes, we don't have European football. But Ange is still not super big on rotating so even with one game a week the players are going to be worn down by now when you combine playing games with the training sessions during the week. A fair few of them are probably playing through minor injuries as well (looking at you, Bentancur).

So my take is that players are playing at a lower intensity to make it through games.

I wonder if he'll rotate more with Europe and, hopefully, a stronger squad after the summer...

Mince Charming Did Ange rotate much at Celtic where his squad, not just XI, was better than the rest of the league bar one?

Single style football = good until others suss it out.
Even the first 10 games hid some cracks. Late, late, late winners against 9 man Liverpool and shocking Sheff United. Lumbered to a win Vs Bournemouth away.
You have to do it well enough that it doesn’t matter what the other team do - like City.

Every good team has a style of play. When Woolwich were good everyone knew what was coming from Pires, Ljungberg, Bergkamp and Henry. Didn’t mean we could stop it.

You have to do it well enough that it doesn’t matter what the other team do - like City.

Every good team has a style of play. When Woolwich were good everyone knew what was coming from Pires, Ljungberg, Bergkamp and Henry. Didn’t mean we could stop it.
To use an analogy, it's like expecting us to break landspeed records when the engine hasn't been tuned, the bodywork is incomplete, the tyres come from Quick fit and we're competing with Bugatti and Ferrari.

Without a lot of time added on we'd have lost to Sheffield United and drew with 9 man Liverpool.
I just feel like outside of Maddison and Johnson, there just wasn't that urgency to really take players on from the rest of the team, who would rather just play it safe.
We tore through them easily when we actually tried to.
In the stadium quite a few today said the exact same thing. Its interesting because there's an explosive element to how this worked in the first ten games that's missing. One bloke behind us said he was giving it ten mins into the second half and he was off if it didn't improve....:ange-facepalm:
I was considering escaping before time was up tbh
Great subs yesterday from him
Flip it on its head and it wasn't a great starting 11 and needed subs to fix the problem. If it was right from the start then we'd have had it wrapped up much sooner.
There were problems with it for the majority of the match. It took dropping Maddison deeper and moving Kulu more central to get the breakthrough.
I'm sure almost every fan watching Spurs right now can see Kulu is not having a great time in that right wing spot.
Kulu has 6 goals and 2 assists and those stats seem to give him credit with fans.
Johnson has 2 goals and 6 assists (and probably less minutes) and he gets a dogs abuse.

I think City do change things up though. They just have an absurd amount of options.

Without a lot of time added on we'd have lost to Sheffield United and drew with 9 man Liverpool.

We tore through them easily when we actually tried to.

I was considering escaping before time was up tbh

Flip it on its head and it wasn't a great starting 11 and needed subs to fix the problem. If it was right from the start then we'd have had it wrapped up much sooner.
There were problems with it for the majority of the match. It took dropping Maddison deeper and moving Kulu more central to get the breakthrough.
I'm sure almost every fan watching Spurs right now can see Kulu is not having a great time in that right wing spot.
Kulu has 6 goals and 2 assists and those stats seem to give him credit with fans.
Johnson has 2 goals and 6 assists (and probably less minutes) and he gets a dogs abuse.

Depends if your cup is half full or half empty I suppose?

Depends if your cup is half full or half empty I suppose?
It's picking faults from imagined scenarios. IF we'd not had the extra time.

The fact is we did have that time and exploited it with constant pressure. It's worthy of praise that we just keep going to the end, but some would rather pick holes based on 'what if' scenarios.

The expectation seems to be that you have to win the game in the first half, then put up a cricket score in the second...

In every single game!

Fucking mental some of our fans.

It's picking faults from imagined scenarios. IF we'd not had the extra time.

The fact is we did have that time and exploited it with constant pressure. It's worthy of praise that we just keep going to the end, but some would rather pick holes based on 'what if' scenarios.

The expectation seems to be that you have to win the game in the first half, then put up a cricket score in the second...

In every single game!

Fucking mental some of our fans.

People who argue in hypothetical if scenarios really do my head in.

Back
Top Bottom