Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You see now.

673341e0-6ba7-46cb-9384-7d408abeb7bf_text.gif

Can we stop kidding ourselves this is (always) good football?

I was bored out of my fucking mind again today. Just like I was vs Wolves, and in other games.
Far too many balls into players feet who are stood still. 2 times we played balls into space, Werner through and Son through. Werner was crying for a ball between the defence but just kept getting it at his feet.

Game after game at the moment where we're far too easy to defend against because we take too long dithering on the ball.

I'd really like to see a stat showing the number of passes we took before scoring every goal this season. I'd bet my arse the vast majority came in under 10 passes, yet we sit there watching 20, 30, 40 pointless passes.

This probably belongs in the match thread but I guess the thread starter is on my (long) ignore list.

I don't understand why we're so passive now.

We know how Ange likes to set us up, so its not manager instructions. But the players just aren't taking risks and would rather play it safe instead and I don't know why.

I don't think it's just down to teams playing in low blocks either. Obviously sitting deep makes it harder to break teams down but it doesn't explain why we don't at least try to create spaces and pull players out of position to begin with.

I swear we were doing exactly that early on in the season against similar teams, it's not like we've just started facing low blocks.

We know how Ange likes to set us up, so its not manager instructions. But the players just aren't taking risks and would rather play it safe instead and I don't know why.

I don't think it's just down to teams playing in low blocks either. Obviously sitting deep makes it harder to break teams down but it doesn't explain why we don't at least try to create spaces and pull players out of position to begin with.

Pretty sure we are trying to; we're just not doing a good job of it.

I swear we were doing exactly that early on in the season against similar teams, it's not like we've just started facing low blocks.

Our MF is the big difference...... They were bossing games and that made it all the easier for the FWDs to press more effectively/confidently; forcing errors, catching players out of shape etc.

Pretty sure we are trying to; we're just not doing a good job of it.

Our MF is the big difference...... They were bossing games and that made it all the easier for the FWDs to press more effectively/confidently; forcing errors, catching players out of shape etc.
I just feel like outside of Maddison and Johnson, there just wasn't that urgency to really take players on from the rest of the team, who would rather just play it safe.

Can we stop kidding ourselves this is (always) good football?

I was bored out of my fucking mind again today. Just like I was vs Wolves, and in other games.
Far too many balls into players feet who are stood still. 2 times we played balls into space, Werner through and Son through. Werner was crying for a ball between the defence but just kept getting it at his feet.

Game after game at the moment where we're far too easy to defend against because we take too long dithering on the ball.

I'd really like to see a stat showing the number of passes we took before scoring every goal this season. I'd bet my arse the vast majority came in under 10 passes, yet we sit there watching 20, 30, 40 pointless passes.

This probably belongs in the match thread but I guess the thread starter is on my (long) ignore list.
In the stadium quite a few today said the exact same thing. Its interesting because there's an explosive element to how this worked in the first ten games that's missing. One bloke behind us said he was giving it ten mins into the second half and he was off if it didn't improve....:ange-facepalm:

In the stadium quite a few today said the exact same thing. Its interesting because there's an explosive element to how this worked in the first ten games that's missing.

Was not surprised to see it was that idiot who you were responding too when I clicked "show ignored content" - pretty sure he was complaining throughout those opening 10 games too.

One bloke behind us said he was giving it ten mins into the second half and he was off if it didn't improve....:ange-facepalm:

Yeah, buts it's the Koreans that are bad supporters. Jesus wept.

Last edited:
In the stadium quite a few today said the exact same thing. Its interesting because there's an explosive element to how this worked in the first ten games that's missing. One bloke behind us said he was giving it ten mins into the second half and he was off if it didn't improve....:ange-facepalm:
Mate it does my nut in when people moan, you can't win with some of the morons about nowadays.

Last season it was moan moan moan about Conte football now you've got fans moaning because we have too much of the ball and can't break down the opposition.

There's one clown that sits behind me that can't say anything without moaning, he even said, after Eze has smashed a quality free kick in 'ITS TOO EASY TOTTENHAM'. I mean come on, that goal was completely against the run of play.

It seems like we're trying to control games a bit more, we're definately taking less risks now

View: https://twitter.com/hbrooks_coach/status/1763954068886532354

It seems like we're trying to control games a bit more, we're definately taking less risks now

View: https://twitter.com/hbrooks_coach/status/1763954068886532354

Like the thread. Interesting points.

Also shows how tame the stadium is. Old WHL would have been screaming at the players to go forward.

It's great that fans want to engage in how the team plays this account is actually a coach so unlikely to ever be a singer but still.... not one singing or shouting voice anywhere near him. Not one. I can hear an expert talking about how the team should be playing, that's fine but how many of the fans are also playing their part?
See what's wrong in the game = great. Not making your voice heard about it makes it almost pointless.

Mate it does my nut in when people moan, you can't win with some of the morons about nowadays.

Last season it was moan moan moan about Conte football now you've got fans moaning because we have too much of the ball and can't break down the opposition.

There's one clown that sits behind me that can't say anything without moaning, he even said, after Eze has smashed a quality free kick in 'ITS TOO EASY TOTTENHAM'. I mean come on, that goal was completely against the run of play.

Don't forget the "it's naive and reckless" / "they're too pensive" see-saw.

Don't forget the "it's naive and reckless" / "they're too pensive" see-saw.
It frustrates me when the same fans who sit around me were moaning last season (and previous ones) about 'not having the ball' or 'stop sitting back' or shouting 'get forward', yet some are now "bored".

Which one do you want?

We're a work in progress which is why fans just need to have abit more patience.

In the end today the style of football pays off, Palace dropped off it, made mistakes, gaps opened. Just gotta keep believing.

Are we? That's a big shift from Ange's philosophy that he's been implementing this season.

Even the last tweet in that thread says that playing that way isn't a way to break down low blocks.

Maybe because we have been giving up a lot of chances recently, today Palace rarely got near our goal because we were less risky with the ball.

It frustrates me when the same fans who sit around me were moaning last season (and previous ones) about 'not having the ball' or 'stop sitting back' or shouting 'get forward', yet some are now "bored".

Which one do you want?

We're a work in progress which is why fans just need to have abit more patience.

In the end today the style of football pays off, Palace dropped off it, made mistakes, gaps opened. Just gotta keep believing.
I tried the work in progress on the halfwit "Something something Cup against Fulham disgrace, want it now" I just got bored and put my earphones in. 😑

Back
Top Bottom