Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ange needs to some of the passion kloop gets into his players into ours. Also needs to be far more braver with the players and not just go with safe like for like options. Give this youngsters ago you never know. A lot on here say it’s a free hit season and not expecting much so why not! At least find out a bit more about them like he said he wanted to do in caraboa cup game about the first team squad players.
I thought about this and To be fair to him it's all new, new team, new staff, new style/philosophy. change of the old guard(Kane, lloris, Moura, dier etc).

Add in our ridiculously messed up season regarding injuries and suspensions plus the 3 away on international duties.

I think once it's more settled and he sees it more balanced and a representation of what he wants then the younger players are more likely to get a chance.

I thought about this and To be fair to him it's all new, new team, new staff, new style/philosophy. change of the old guard(Kane, lloris, Moura, dier etc).

Add in our ridiculously messed up season regarding injuries and suspensions plus the 3 away on international duties.

I think once it's more settled and he sees it more balanced and a representation of what he wants then the younger players are more likely to get a chance.
He’s the kinda guy that sees it as protecting them (rather than chucking them into a second tier shitshow). I disagree largely and would do exactly that

Once everything is in place:
200.gif

He’s the kinda guy that sees it as protecting them (rather than chucking them into a second tier shitshow). I disagree largely and would do exactly that
How many teens was Klopp selecting in first couple of years in the Anfield job? Probably very very few. Trent possibly only one to come through in Klopp’s tenure until 2020 ish. He needed to establish clear and firm pattern of play before younger players could find their feet at first team level with chance of success.

Yup. Key diff. is Klopp is dropping these kids into an already very well established system & culture.... Even then; not always by design (see today).

Look at the likes of Sancho, Palmer, Porro and even Foden at City (+ a bunch of other young talents that have left seeking game-time elsewhere in recent seasons)...... With the pressures that exist at the top end of the table opportunities are often few and far between; and that's at a team who have the luxury of having the oppo outgunned quality-wise most weekends.

Ange is no mug....... If he persists in playing PEH & Skipp rather than Donley (who - positionally - is a more attacking proposition than either of them anyway) it's safe to say they have attributes that he feels Donley still lacks..... Even then he still brought him on with the game in the balance away at City and gave Veliz a few cameos.... (Devine's been on loan all season - good! - so it's senseless whining about him.)

Last edited:
What’s not really true?

I’ve even seen people saying they don’t want to get into the CL this season. Too hard.

We’ve avoided Europe to get into Europe. That’s the fact of the matter.
You said, and I quote, "the majority of fans don't want us to win a trophy" with regards to some of us being happy not to be in the conference league or even the the ropey league.
That's not true. Fans want to win a trophy, but realise being in too many competitions probably actually prohibits those chances, rather than increases them.
There's still the FA Cup and League cup, which tbh, I'd rate both higher than the conference league and neither require travelling to Kazakhstan to play on a Thursday before a 12.30pm kick off away to Liverpool on Saturday.

You said, and I quote, "the majority of fans don't want us to win a trophy" with regards to some of us being happy not to be in the conference league or even the the ropey league.
That's not true. Fans want to win a trophy, but realise being in too many competitions probably actually prohibits those chances, rather than increases them.
There's still the FA Cup and League cup, which tbh, I'd rate both higher than the conference league and neither require travelling to Kazakhstan to play on a Thursday before a 12.30pm kick off away to Liverpool on Saturday.

Vote on here and various online had a higher percentage saying no conference league.

Fact is majority would rather get top 4 than try win a trophy.

Vote on here and various online had a higher percentage saying no conference league.

Fact is majority would rather get top 4 than try win a trophy.
That's not the same. Would you rather isn't the same as do you want to win a trophy?

Most fans want us to finish top 4 and win a trophy, and there's absolutely no reason we can't do that.
It's fans who insist on asking the dumb question "would you rather have this or that but not both" that cause these arguments.

That's not the same. Would you rather isn't the same as do you want to win a trophy?

Most fans want us to finish top 4 and win a trophy, and there's absolutely no reason we can't do that.
It's fans who insist on asking the dumb question "would you rather have this or that but not both" that cause these arguments.

I don't often find myself agreeing with you, but..... Yes; this. If you're good enough to win a cup; very high chances are you're good enough to finish 4th or higher too.

It's up there with with "do you want a trophy or pretty football?" polling (which admittedly is even worse). As if you can't end up trophy-less playing shit-ball..........

The discussion centred around the fact people would rather not play in the conference league so we could concentrate on domestic football.

Be too hard to play in that and do well in the league. Fuck knows how Villa are doing it tbh. Miracle workers.

But anyway our fans literally saying let’s not even try to win this trophy. Better not to be in it at all.
I posted in another thread recently that sport is about competing.
A majority here decided let’s watch tv on Thursday nights instead of competing. It’s a weird mentality. I can’t get my head round it.

And the other amusing side is this

Step 1
Avoid conference league. You need to play kids / second string in that. (The irony of that after yesterdays final is not lost on me here either)

Step 2
Want to win a trophy. Probably Fa cup or league cup realistically at this point in time.

Step 3
Higher chance you will win the league cup - which is still the only trophy we have won / domestic final we have reached this century. Coming up to 35 years since we reached an FA Cup final. So a decent sample size.

Step 4
Qualify for Europa conference league due to winning the league cup.

Spider_Man_meme.jpg

The discussion centred around the fact people would rather not play in the conference league so we could concentrate on domestic football.

Be too hard to play in that and do well in the league. Fuck knows how Villa are doing it tbh. Miracle workers.

But anyway our fans literally saying let’s not even try to win this trophy. Better not to be in it at all.
I posted in another thread recently that sport is about competing.
A majority here decided let’s watch tv on Thursday nights instead of competing. It’s a weird mentality. I can’t get my head round it.

And the other amusing side is this

Step 1
Avoid conference league. You need to play kids / second string in that. (The irony of that after yesterdays final is not lost on me here either)

Step 2
Want to win a trophy. Probably Fa cup or league cup realistically at this point in time.

Step 3
Higher chance you will win the league cup - which is still the only trophy we have won / domestic final we have reached this century. Coming up to 35 years since we reached an FA Cup final. So a decent sample size.

Step 4
Qualify for Europa conference league due to winning the league cup.

Spider_Man_meme.jpg
There are 2 cups in domestic football.

I'd rather not play shit teams in the arse end of Europe and instead win an FA Cup at Wembley when I'm there.

Again, you're forcing choices that aren't real.
Unless you're sating we absolutely cannot win a domestic cup, as a matter of fact, and by ceding the ropey league we're forfeiting all cup opportunities.
Which isn't real is it.

So again. Saying fans don't want to win cups because we don't want to play shit teams in shit places in a nothing european competition, isn't correct.

What is it with our Managers and the press trying to get them take over ,elsewhere?Already seen Ange connected with the scouse job,now according to the little pop ups on my phone ,there's two others after him as well.
Didnt click on it,so don't know who the other 2 are,presuming one was liverpool.

We had all this crap with Poch as well.

Last edited:
How many teens was Klopp selecting in first couple of years in the Anfield job? Probably very very few. Trent possibly only one to come through in Klopp’s tenure until 2020 ish. He needed to establish clear and firm pattern of play before younger players could find their feet at first team level with chance of success.

The longer Ange stays and the more successful the team is during that time, the more likely kids from the academy are to be ready enough to step in and play.

It's still very early.

There are 2 cups in domestic football.

I'd rather not play shit teams in the arse end of Europe and instead win an FA Cup at Wembley when I'm there.

Again, you're forcing choices that aren't real.
Unless you're sating we absolutely cannot win a domestic cup, as a matter of fact, and by ceding the ropey league we're forfeiting all cup opportunities.
Which isn't real is it.

So again. Saying fans don't want to win cups because we don't want to play shit teams in shit places in a nothing european competition, isn't correct.

You’re so wrong it hurts.

Back
Top Bottom