Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Misery really loves company doesn't it.
At least they're being consistent and not changing their opinion after a single game.

The amount of people jumping on the Ange bandwagon after one game when they were complaining about his appointment was starting to annoy me. Mainly because a lot of them will probably complain about him being naive or too open when we eventually get a heavy defeat or two.

Considering we cashed in on our best player who regularly contributed 30 goals a season, and still haven't sourced an adequate replacement, I'd call it shocking as things stands. Scandalous, even.
Honestly, I just read someone rated it very good, and spat a mouthful of morning tea over the old dog sat next to me.
I wonder if our rivals would look at our business and think "wow....we need to watch out for Spurs next season"......Of course they fucking wouldn't...
They'll be loving Levy more with every passing day.
Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

They still finished bottom in their group you utter clown, so at the end of the day no one gives a fucking shit whether they dominated 51% of the possession against Real fucking Madrid or not, unless you’re a Postecoglou fanboy and you think this is some sort of achievement.

Fucking Sheriff Tiraspol beat Real Madrid in UCL group stages, that’s a bigger achievement than having some shots on goals and still end up losing 5-1.
You seem like a laugh to be around

I do like the cut of his jib I must admit.

He's succinct, sticks to the point, doesn't come across as egotistical, is articulate, seems very calm and affable and straightforward. But he also clearly won't take any shit.

We'll see if that continues when the pressure increases after a few bad results, but it certainly bodes well in terms of how he communicates with the players.
Must be refreshing for some of them after Jose and his toxic, ego driven style, Nuno and his not really sure what I'm doing style, and the Conte unpredictable and volatile style. Even Poch lost the plot a bit and started believing his own bullshit, still can't believe he brought that book out while manager.

Doesn't mean he'll get the results we all hope he gets but it's certainly a plus.

You’re arguing with guys who to minimize Angie’s achievements and are happy if he fails so they can prove ownership’s incompetence in appointing him in the first place. They’re a loud minority on all threads. Be thankful that you don’t have supporters like that in your own fanbase.

As much as we tend to think our fanbase is different and unique, Celtic absolutely have this type of supporter also. When Postecoglou joined it was even more of a theme than it has been here, on account of him being an even less known name.

To give an idea of the mood after Celtic blew the 10 in a row campaign before Ange, the Chairman's home had just been firebombed by angry fans. He was essentially forced out of the club. The level of distrust was certainly comparable to here with Levy, so of course when an unknown Australian was appointed it was a sure-fire case of a yes-man being brought in to do the board's bidding and act as a mouthpiece.

To anybody who actually knows anything about the guy, this characterisation is funny as it's about as close to the opposite of the truth as possible. He literally walked out on the Australian national team and in doing so forgoed the opportunity to manage in a world cup, because he wasn't happy with how things were being run and wasn't willing to accept it.

If he seems calm about transfer dealings, I'd wager it's because he's confident he'll get the players he needs in before the close of the window. He's also not a moron - he's not going to call out Levy in the press one game into the season, but I'm sure he'll be on top of what needs to be done behind the scenes.

They lost 8-1 to them on aggregate. Nobody should expect Celtic to do well vs Madrid but I dunno why people keep referencing them having reasonable periods of the game as some sort of evidence in Ange's favour.

Madrid likely barely even got out of fourth gear anyway. They never do in the groups. As if at any point they cared that Celtic had a bit of the ball.
I mean, it'd probably help actually watching the games to make any kind of informed analysis, but you crack on.

It wasn't a case of Celtic having a bit of possession that was impressive, but rather the way they took the game to them home and away. During the home game, you could reasonably argue that Celtic were the better side for 60 minutes and created the better chances. Hit the post, missed a sitter 1 yard from goal, etc.

Ultimately both matches were a failure because they lost and lost soundly, and I'm sure Postecoglou would be the first to admit that, but it's Celtic vs Real Madrid ffs. And it wasn't a case of Madrid just turning up for a casual kickabout - they were made to look uncomfortable for long periods when Celtic were on top. Of course their quality ultimately showed.

At any rate, context matters. In Champion's League terms, Celtic are a very poor side, yet largely because of Ange's system they were able to create more chances against Real Madrid in both the home and away games than anybody else up until Madrid were knocked out by City. Those dickheads couldn't actually take any of the chances created, but personally I think there is some credit in a far inferior team playing a far superior team on even terms for long stretches of a match.

If you read the youtube comments on that presser, the vast majority aren't even Spurs fans.

Youd think he’s already won the quadruple the way some are carrying on. Proper bizarre. Its a bit embarrassing.

Slow your road, calm down a bit and get our heads down. Its gunna be a long fucking season.

This guy is desperate for everyone to know that he goes to the gym, so much so that he put it in his username.

Guys, guys, check this bro out, he goes to the gym and presumably has gigantic fucking muscles. Oooohhhh so impressive!

:pocheyes:

Also, talk about managing Celtic should be on someone's bucket list, really not sure about that.

Forget Celtic, that's done. Focus on your new employer, your new club, mate.

Fuck Celtic, they'll be fine without you.

Are you referring to his comments in his first press conference, when he was asked directly about his time at Celtic by a Scottish journalist, and addressed his departure publicly for the first time?

Has he been unduly focused on Celtic in interviews or pressers since answering that one, single question? Has he given any indication that he's not fully focussed on Spurs?

Have a think about these questions and get back to me in your own time.

I mean, it'd probably help actually watching the games to make any kind of informed analysis, but you crack on.

It wasn't a case of Celtic having a bit of possession that was impressive, but rather the way they took the game to them home and away. During the home game, you could reasonably argue that Celtic were the better side for 60 minutes and created the better chances. Hit the post, missed a sitter 1 yard from goal, etc.

Ultimately both matches were a failure because they lost and lost soundly, and I'm sure Postecoglou would be the first to admit that, but it's Celtic vs Real Madrid ffs. And it wasn't a case of Madrid just turning up for a casual kickabout - they were made to look uncomfortable for long periods when Celtic were on top. Of course their quality ultimately showed.

At any rate, context matters. In Champion's League terms, Celtic are a very poor side, yet largely because of Ange's system they were able to create more chances against Real Madrid in both the home and away games than anybody else up until Madrid were knocked out by City. Those dickheads couldn't actually take any of the chances created, but personally I think there is some credit in a far inferior team playing a far superior team on even terms for long stretches of a match.

No I just don’t care. There’s no credit in an inferior team having some moments but getting smashed 8-1 in a group stage. It’s a huge failure.

Talk about his actual successes if you want. I’ll crack on with not pretending that ‘taking the game’ to a team is something super impressive when you end up getting caved in.

There's context to his Europen results. His firt season he was using youth team players in Europe because he didn't have fit seniors to fill the roster. Celtic was never outplayed in any of their games, other than Madrid away.

And no Celtic do not win every year. The previous year they had one of their worst season in memory. Next season under Postecoglou Celtic beat Rangers to the league and league cup when Rangers was a Europa League finalist.

Context and factual insight eh...... :harrysmile:

Quite the irritant to proponents of the post-truth world.

No I just don’t care. There’s no credit in an inferior team having some moments but getting smashed 8-1 in a group stage. It’s a huge failure.

Talk about his actual successes if you want. I’ll crack on with not pretending that ‘taking the game’ to a team is something super impressive when you end up getting caved in.
His successes are downplayed due to the quality of the leagues he's managed in. But when a counterexample is provided to show that he can actually do alright against one of the best teams in the world given the quality that he has, that doesn't count either.

He's just gotten here and he's done alright so far. He's already started to implement a good style of play that we've been crying out for in a short space of time.

It's still early days and he still has a lot of work to do to prove that he belongs here, but he's showing signs of being a decent coach at a high level.

The amount of people jumping on the Ange bandwagon after one game when they were complaining about his appointment was starting to annoy me. Mainly because a lot of them will probably complain about him being naive or too open when we eventually get a heavy defeat or two.
I think he had something like 2% in the Fighting Cock manager poll before it became apparent he was gonna be appointed 😆

Back
Top Bottom