Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Somewhere around the 10m mark would be fine. Realistically we cant expect to get a Llorente etc, and to be fair there's no certainty that anyone who hasnt played in this league would be successful.

Can see arguments for and against Adebayor.

Can't knock his goals and assists record, and he was good for us in large parts last season. My only gripe with him is sometimes he leaves me feeling incredibly frustrated when he fails to control a ball which could lead to a goal, or completely mis-hits a shot at a crucial moment. If he didn't have those little errors in his game I think he'd be world class.

Definitely wouldn't pay him £170,000 per week, but if he was available on reasonable wages and cheaply i'd definitely take him on permanently.

Ive only followed him for a couple of weeks and he's been quite accurate (in that time), so excuse my excitement :avblol:

But if it is true.. 8M is a bargain, plus he makes bale happy :baletroll:

He did get the goals and assists last season. But it's incredibly annoying when he strolls about like a lazy asshole!! He has his good games and bad games unfortunately.

I really think the strolling about thing is a bit of a myth.

In that if he has one or two games where he isnt charging around people call him lazy.

No player p[lays at the same level every single match yet it seems some people use that as a stick to hit him with.

wizwardcoys said:
He did get the goals and assists last season. But it's incredibly annoying when he strolls about like a lazy asshole!! He has his good games and bad games unfortunately.
The man was expected to play every league game when fit and be the chief, sometimes sole, goalscorer. His goals and assists record is a testament to the fact that despite that many minutes on the pitch he still carried on doing his job until the end of the season. With that sort of pressure it's simply unrealistic to expect the guy to 100% faultless all of the time.

The problem I think with some Spurs fans (and no, I'm not specifically accusing you of this) is that they have been spoiled by the likes of Berbatov, Lineker and Klinsmann. World class players (well the latter two anyhow) who could be on the top of their game most matches. So until we have a superstar striker once again they feel a bit underwhelmed.

Decent goal return. Decent number of assists. Hates Woolwich now. Much more mature since the bus incident. All good enough reasons to me to keep the lad.

Yeah I wouldn't call him a lazy striker. In fact I think the opposite, I think he often wanders into positions where he's not as useful, such as out on the flanks or dropping deep to get the ball. Ideally you want him stuck in the middle up top ready to take the ball and smash it in, seeing as he's a lone striker.

There was a phase in the season when he might as well not have been on the pitch, hopefully we'll have someone else who can take the weight off him and fill in where possible. Last season, Adebayor was the only striker we had who could really hold the ball up, he had to play pretty much every game. This is a situation we really can't afford to leave ourselves in next season.

Thelonious said:
There was a phase in the season when he might as well not have been on the pitch, hopefully we'll have someone else who can take the weight off him and fill in where possible. Last season, Adebayor was the only striker we had who could really hold the ball up, he had to play pretty much every game. This is a situation we really can't afford to leave ourselves in next season.

When was that phase?

and really, was he that bad we could have done just as well with 10 men?

Dru said:
Thelonious said:

When was that phase?

January, up to the Newcastle game. He was looking uninterested in large parts during that period, Watford FA Cup game being the biggest example I can really remember at this point.

This isn't to say I don't want him but to say it's fickle to say he can be a lazy cunt sometimes is wide of the mark.

Dru said:
Thelonious said:

When was that phase?

I remember the Watford FA Cup game and a couple of games around it, not sure if thelonious was thinking of the same period though.

I think there are quite a few better strikers than Adebayor out there. But, I can't think of many (if any) who we could realistically get, especially at the reported price of £5m. I don't see why we can't just give Ade a big signing on fee (maybe £3m) to make up for his reduction in wages seeing as he is probably worth £8-10m anyway.

Just my opinion from hearing fans around me at games....I get the impression if he didnt come via Woolwich, people wouldnt say it as much. He runs 10x more than Pav but people didnt call Pav lazy as much as they should have.

Watford was diabolical - was anyone not shit in that game?

Thats the thing, there certainly wasn't anyone around last year we could have got better then Ade.

We needed his all round game more than anything too. You could argue Defoe may have scored a few more goals than him but we wouldn't be able to sustain pressure on opposition teams without Ade's hold up play imo.

EssexYid said:
Dru said:
Thelonious said:

When was that phase?

I remember the Watford FA Cup game and a couple of games around it, not sure if thelonious was thinking of the same period though.

I think there are quite a few better strikers than Adebayor out there. But, I can't think of many (if any) who we could realistically get, especially at the reported price of £5m. I don't see why we can't just give Ade a big singing on fee (maybe £3m) to make up for his reduction in wages seeing as he is probably worth £8-10m anyway.
That is excatly what has been rumoured. £5m to city, £5m as a signing on fee and wages in line with our wage cap.

Back
Top Bottom