Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

tricky

Supporter
Man up and LOL
Can I just state something for the record, which I am more than happy to be proven wrong on.

When Ade was playing for goons, I used to slate him big time for his lack of composure in front of goal and the fact that he used to miss more that he hit. There was no denying his talent and ability, he scores goals that other strikers we've had before simply wouldn't take, but I still have this nagging doubt over him.

3 goals in 6 appearances, plus assists isn't bad, but should he have had more given some of the positions he's been in? If anything he's taken and even created the more difficult one's and spurned the perceivably easier ones.

I have no doubt that he is a better quality player than what we had before, and am pleased that he is on our side as he always did well against us.

But, even in his one good season his ratio on target and shots to goals wasn't great, what he did have was a midfield which gave him enough chances to take at least some of them.

I also wonder if he does whether he would then even consider a permanent position with us, even if we break into CL again, as clearly we cannot currently match his financial aspiration.

As I said, willing to be proven wrong on both counts, but come the end of the season I just wonder whether he will have been seen to have done enough. I see this more of a romance than a relationship, so I guess I'm probably better off just going with the flow.

Just sayin' it now because I don't want to be tarred with the 'reactionary' brush come may, when the romance has fizzled out slightly and we're left with some expensive hotel bills and a bruised credit card from the last 9 months, but ultimately nothing really to show for it.

Re: Adebyor

I work with 3 Woolwich fans and when he was there they all said the same thing about needing 3 or 4 chances to score one and that he was very lazy at times.

I dont think he can be accused of being lazy but I would think most fans are thinking its only a matter of time before he either does something stupid or performance levels drop off. It what being a Spurs fan does to you, no matter how good its going, you cant help but feel like something is going to go wrong.

I think that his Goals to Games ratio for us will be very good at the end of the season - hopefully he'll hit at least 15 in the league. I think the problem (if there is one) is that we still don't know what the best team and formation is, and Im not sure that HR has much of a clue.

He is an old school manager and will field the best players, even if it means playing them slightly out of position. This changes the way we play. I'd imagine that the more stable the team, the more Ade will score as it will take time to get used to where a player will be in a given situation.

As for the long term. If we get CL then I think he may be persuaded to take a pay cut and and sign a short (maybe two year deal). This would mean having to give up players pay rises, but I think that time is increasingly inevitable.

The way I look at it is that we have a player with a point to prove for a season. If he wants to keep playing at the top level, and stay on the wages he wants, he simply has to perform. If we sign Damiao in January, then I wouldn't expect Adebayor to still be here next season. Give Leandro lots of chances to get used to the premiership from the subs bench coming on for Adebayor.

That's what I'd do anyway

Sibs said:
I think that his Goals to Games ratio for us will be very good at the end of the season - hopefully he'll hit at least 15 in the league. I think the problem (if there is one) is that we still don't know what the best team and formation is, and Im not sure that HR has much of a clue.

He is an old school manager and will field the best players, even if it means playing them slightly out of position. This changes the way we play. I'd imagine that the more stable the team, the more Ade will score as it will take time to get used to where a player will be in a given situation.

As for the long term. If we get CL then I think he may be persuaded to take a pay cut and and sign a short (maybe two year deal). This would mean having to give up players pay rises, but I think that time is increasingly inevitable.

The way I look at it is that we have a player with a point to prove for a season. If he wants to keep playing at the top level, and stay on the wages he wants, he simply has to perform. If we sign Damiao in January, then I wouldn't expect Adebayor to still be here next season. Give Leandro lots of chances to get used to the premiership from the subs bench coming on for Adebayor.

That's what I'd do anyway

I agree with the principle. Just can't see Ade taking a pay cut to join us when he doesn't have to. That's the big sticking problem long term.

Fingers crossed for Damiao in Jan, six months bedding in and ready for 2012. Not that I'm wishing the next 8 months away.

I'm with you in the belief that he won't be here this time next year. It's a hard compromise wage wise going from 160grand a week to what out bracket allows, and with teams like PSG and Anzhi being easily able to match or raise his wage it seems inevitable he will be plying his trade for one of the aforementioned teams.
Unquestionably he is in the mould of that "world class" strikers we've been begging for since Berbatov left, and a 1 in 2 ratio is about as good as you would expect over the course of a season, shame we didn't have that last year. I think he's looked up for it though, showing a lot more commitment to the cause and running the flanks far more than I expected.
I'm looking at it as an affair rather than the romance, just getting the business done once or twice a week for a year intill you realise she wants to eat out every day of the week and values her jewelry more than your face.

no one else will pay those wages and there aren't a posse of teams banging down the door to sign him so I think he'll be taking a cut wherever he goes next season.

I'm not sure I want him permanently, we'll see how it pans out but I like him on loan with a point to prove. More than happy to be proven wrong.

Agreed, i'm keeping my mouth firmly shut until the end of the season to see how he performs.

On the note of big wages, surely a signing on fee as a sweetner is a way around the whole situation?

Do Togo have any games in the November international break?

If so, he can have an 'injury' for them and have a 2 week break.

While we can I'd rather we played our best team in every game, lets not get too far ahead of ourselves now.

He's retired from playing for Togo after the bus attack.

Unless he has reinstated himself recently?

Dru said:
Wouldnt disagree with that, until you see Pav taking his palce in the line up. :pav:
I'd hope 'Arry just would swap him out with Defoe and play VDV just behind. But you're right, fear the Pav.

think he's been carrying abit of a hamstring injury past 2 or 3 games he's had it wrapped

I'd love us to sign him up permanently as he's clearly a cut above our other strikers especially in the build up and playing possesion footy or with his back to goal

the guy's an alround beast and is due a goal or 2 against qpr

Well, like has been mentioned, he can't be played every game. He's currently coming back from a small injury, but even so, I've been extremely impressed with his off-the-ball movement thus far. Even in the last couple of games, he's put himself in great position to score even if the chance didn't pan out. I think that's one of the biggest factors, and one which Spurs haven't had so much in recent years, is a striker with top-notch situational awareness that can operate well off the ball and then create his own chances. A lot of our recent strikers, to me at least, haven't operated well in that regard, and their goals have looked more due to dumb luck rather than anything that they were doing particularly well.

I agree with a lot of the above. You can tell he's not at 100%. Once he's able to get a solid block of time off, I'm sure he'll come out and be even better than what he's showed thus far. I imagine he wasn't in the best of football shape due to him not really practicing at City over the summer.

tricky said:
But, even in his one good season his ratio on target and shots to goals wasn't great, what he did have was a midfield which gave him enough chances to take at least some of them.
His goals to shots ratio may not be great, but this is also true of another Gooner -- Thierry Henry.
Compare his shockingly low accuracy stats to Jermain Defoe's, then compare their career goals.

Someone with 50% accuracy is as useful as someone with 100%, as long as they take twice as many shots.

Adebyor

I don't think any Spurs fan would accuse JD of not shooting enough tbh! It's his poor decision making which is so ingrained in him that he's unlikely to change. I'd imagine TH forced saves with most of his shots whereas JD probably didn't pass to an open team-mate or twatted it into row Z.

Astoundingly, JD has a better shots on target ratio (0.64) than Henry (0.59). I'm starting to get the impression Henry used to just catch keepers by surprise by hoofing the ball at goal from incredibly hopeful positions.

Back
Top Bottom