Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is the problem you think every debate or discussion is a competition that you can win and you'll go to any length to achieve your goals !

Yes a veritable pain in the arse

He’ll lie, twist things and misquote people and if that doesn’t work put some childish meme up which is why I and a few others won’t engage the twisted little cunt

Cue incoming meme or part quotes

Counting

I've corrected it for you.

No you gave yourself away by failing to argue the final part, call it 'hate' or 'not rate', you are entrenched to the point that anything good Lamela does will be an exception to the rule.

I am not putting up banners with the lad's face on or putting out petitions demanding he be a constant first 11 player but I see the potential for him to improve no matter what historic conclusions you want to draw.

Moussa Sissoko, Gareth Bale, Harry Kane.

All players we have wrongly written off thinking they'll never come good.

There is nothing preventing Lamela becoming one of these players and I hope he does, I am not sure whether you do too considering the volume of criticism you have laid at the man.

Yes a veritable pain in the arse

He’ll lie, twist things and misquote people and if that doesn’t work put some childish meme up which is why I and a few others won’t engage the twisted little cunt

Cue incoming meme or part quotes

Counting
In the past 5 days, you alone have given me 200+ disagrees.

And you think that isn't engaging?!

You really are dumber than a post.

All it does is tell me that you read my every little word. Haha.

Even gave you the opportunity to call me a twisted little cunt to my face. But predictably, you bottled it.

No you gave yourself away by failing to argue the final part, call it 'hate' or 'not rate', you are entrenched to the point that anything good Lamela does will be an exception to the rule.

I am not putting up banners with the lad's face on or putting out petitions demanding he be a constant first 11 player but I see the potential for him to improve no matter what historic conclusions you want to draw.

Moussa Sissoko, Gareth Bale, Harry Kane.

All players we have wrongly written off thinking they'll never come good.

There is nothing preventing Lamela becoming one of these players and I hope he does, I am not sure whether you do too considering the volume of criticism you have laid at the man.

For Christ Sake man, let go of the notion of Lamela as this elite South American Superstar, heir to Messi, future Balloon d'Or winner. Etc. Etc. It's 2019 not 2013! Surely there has to be a cut off point. Do we keep waiting till he's 30, 35? How about we buy someone else instead. What if we had the chance to buy Sancho, do you think we should pass that up to keep on waiting for Lamela?

Foyth is going to be good, bad or indifferent regardless of any opinions of anyone here. That's all it is, opinions. There was a time I'd have happily sold Davies but he's gone on to be a much left back than I thought he would, a more than decent CB as well. A better one than Foyth imo.
The difference is you didn't start to pre-judge Davies and then double down on that position whilst the player was proving the opposite.

Not saying 100% that this is going to be you and Foyth and I'm not denying you your opinion, it's great to have one (I have mine), it's just based on your Lamela debacle and sticking with it ended you. And now claiming Foyths physic/shoulders are wrong (despite sharing almost identical physic to some of the Worlds best CB's) I fear you might already be forming a view that will entrench you. For example, you already looking for moments where he loses a 1v1 and you will try to cite this as proof about his physic being wrong, yet this will mean that you will ignore that he won all his other 1v1's whilst having to be the player that the oppo is targeting.

Based on your history with Lamela is what you are also dealing with, which rightly or wrongly brings into question your ability to assess a player, not so much the opinion but how you became clearly obsessed by this one player. In the same vein, I like blakey the bus conductor but his bias towards Sissoko damages his reputation. No one is immune to these pitfuls, having put myself out there as a Tripps basher people can say stuff about me, but because of my stance on him, I at least try to bite my tongue before I post and acknowledge a good performance when one is played.

Last edited:
In the past 5 days, you alone have given me 200+ disagrees.

And you think that isn't engaging?!

You really are dumber than a post.

All it does is tell me that you read my every little word. Haha.

Even gave you the opportunity to call me a twisted little cunt to my face. But predictably, you bottled it.

Bingo

Bye bye sucker

For Christ Sake man, let go of the notion of Lamela as this elite South American Superstar, heir to Messi, future Balloon d'Or winner. Etc. Etc. It's 2019 not 2013! Surely there has to be a cut off point. Do we keep waiting till he's 30, 35? How about we buy someone else instead. What if we had the chance to buy Sancho, do you think we should pass that up to keep on waiting for Lamela?

Who said he was heir to Messi?? I didn't..

He's been at the club a long while and he's not been terrible the whole time, otherwise he wouldn't still be here.

It comes down to pragmatism, I would rather back my player than criticise them, it's not based on a cut off point, that's totally illogical. It's as illogical as you saying, 'if Lamela is here next season, I won't follow Spurs any more'.

Lamela is one of our players, he's part of our club and we want him to do well when he puts on the shirt, how many posts have you made on this thread criticising him? You'l be surprised to learn it's made no difference, he's still our player, he's still going to get picked and when he does you're going to have to find some way of dealing with it or maybe just supporting him because whether you're done with him or not, he isn't done with us.

Lamela would get sold at 35 and you'd be running around here telling everyone "I TOLD YOU WE'D SELL HIM!"

Last edited:
I back my judgement on players. You've gone strong on Foyth being World Class, correct? I'm going strong on him being anything but that. We'll review in two years from this date. Agreed?

Everybody leaves eventually.... Won't mean you were right all along.

Fucking mug...

The difference is you didn't start to pre-judge Davies and then double down on that position whilst the player was proving the opposite.

Not saying 100% that this is going to be you and Foyth and I'm not denying you your opinion, it's great to have one (I have mine), it's just based on your Lamela debacle and sticking with it ended you. And now claiming Foyths physic/shoulders are wrong (despite sharing almost identical physic to some of the Worlds best CB's) I fear you might already be forming a view that will entrench you. For example, you already looking for moments where he loses a 1v1 and you will try to cite this as proof about his physic being wrong, yet this will mean that you will ignore that he won all his other 1v1's whilst having to be the player that the oppo is targeting.

Based on your history with Lamela is what you are also dealing with, which rightly or wrongly brings into question your ability to assess a player, not so much the opinion but how you became clearly obsessed by this one player. In the same vein, I like blakey the bus conductor but his bias towards Sissoko damages his reputation. No one is immune to these pitfuls, having put myself out there as a Tripps basher people can say stuff about me, but because of my stance on him, I at least try to bite my tongue before I post and acknowledge a good performance when one is played.

"Throw physic to the dogs; I’ll none of it.'

But physique on the other hand...

This is the usual thing on here of compartmentalized stats that favor Lamela tho , his early season scoring form was good but very much an anomaly, Dele not scoring is also an anomaly so it created unreliable data

Lamela isn't a squad player he's a first team player and that's the problem he occupies a key role within the squad .
Yeah just ask who you would rather, dele or lamela? & then how they really feel will come out.

Never said he had poor technique. Spursmeds said I did but he's got the reading age of a 5 year old and you need to put in pictures really to make him understand a point.

I just say what I see. He's basically got no shoulders. A lot of defending is simply using body strength to ease opposition players off the ball. I just can't see Foyth being strong enough to be a top class CB. He'll get bullied. Good with the ball, sure, midfield might be a possibility. But CB, no. In my opinion.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood your previous post about technique, I made the assumption that you mentioned it because you thought he didn't possess that attribute.

But he hasn't been bullied in any of the games he's played. Quite the opposite, he's been target as a possible weak link (if I was the oppo manager I'd have done the same, get your experienced players to target him, rough him over, sledge him etc If you are a Centre Forward who would you fancy your chances against Toby, Jan or Foyth? ), yet despite this, he's stood his ground and won most of his individual battles.

Take a step back, don't allow your brain to form a prejudice based on his shoulders, it looks like it's already forming and already blinding you to what he's actually doing. Remember he IS the weak link in our defence when played, it's not because he's shit or has small shoulders, it's because he's 21yrs old. It means shit CF's will fancy their chances against him rather than against Toby or Jan, it means he will have more to do than either of them in the game. It will also mean that he will show how physically good he is just as Andy Carroll leaned.

Got to say, I'm a little bit with NW1 on this one. So far anyway. I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be an Argentinian John Stones, he's clearly technically very good, but he just seems a bit too nice to me, bit lightweight.

And I've lost patience with Lamela. Need to offload and give his non HG space to someone who's available more than 5 times a season.

Back
Top Bottom