Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kevin de Bryne is quality. So is Raheem Sterling and Harry Kane and Eden Hazard

Lamela (within our context) is nothing more than a useful squad player with above average ability and very good work rate (especially off the ball) but most certainly not Top 4 quality. Hasn't had a good game for us since 2017 and has never in 5 years managed to establish himself a regular starting place. He'll be moved on in the summer - willing to bet?

Pretty much this, shame really though cause he's obviously a great footballer technique wise. But injures and off the field problems (his brother) have stalled his progress immensely, we could still maybe get 20-30 million for him in Italy so if we move him on should be soon

Pretty much this, shame really though cause he's obviously a great footballer technique wise. But injures and off the field problems (his brother) have stalled his progress immensely, we could still maybe get 20-30 million for him in Italy so if we move him on should be soon
Never really clicked for him unfortunately. Back in Italy or even Spain he can restart his career and go on to be quite successful. No chance that would be with us though. Vert likable guy - and really hates the gooner scum too - much like VdV did

I like watching players develop as well, but sometimes you can see a player has fundamental flaws - poor technique, poor balance, poor use of weaker foot etc. etc. that there is obviously a glass ceiling to how good they could be. I simply felt that with Lamela early on and also with Foyth, when it comes to being a CB at least, he just has the wrong physique.
Physic changes the older you get, just look at Kane now compared to when he first broke into the team, or for an even better example take a look at Dele, completely different. Why do you think Chiellini's physic is wrong for a CB or Bonucci's (just 2cm's shorter) who both have identic physic's to that of Foyth? What's wrong with another of the World best CB's physic in Godin's (at 33 he's only one or two KG's heavier)?

You are utterly mad if you think Foyth has poor technique, that's EXACTLY what he possesses, his technique is his biggest strength right now, it's what makes him stand out. The kid is a baller.

But this isn't the point, players ability can and is always debated. The main point I'm making with you is that you absolutely do not change your view, despite all evidence be that both anecdotal and factual you're presented with, rather than hold your hands up, you doubled down on that opinion and it entrenched you further and further into a hole that you couldn't get out of, it ended you and made you look a bit of a tit (you can't deny this).

Yet, despite this, it sounds as you are ready to go all in on Foyth now, why? He's 21yrs old!!! Why are you convincing yourself that because his physic isn't right (despite sharing almost identical physics as the world s best CB's) that he's not going to make it? At least learn from what you've experienced and go with it. Don't claim he's gonna be World Class, don't claim he's gonna be shit, just be excited by getting the chance to watch a player play and learn his craft. If he makes it you will enjoy it more, why? Because the alternative is whilst everyone is celebrating his prowess you'll be claiming he's shit from your hole in the ground because the lad's physic isn't right.

The main point I'm making with you is that you absolutely do not change your view, despite all evidence be that both anecdotal and factual you're presented with, rather than hold your hands up, you doubled down on that opinion and it entrenched you further and further into a hole that you couldn't get out of, it ended you and made you look a bit of a tit (you can't deny this).

Physic changes the older you get, just look at Kane now compared to when he first broke into the team, or for an even better example take a look at Dele, completely different. Why do you think Chiellini's physic is wrong for a CB or Bonucci's (just 2cm's shorter) who both have identic physic's to that of Foyth? What's wrong with another of the World best CB's physic in Godin's (at 33 he's only one or two KG's heavier)?

You are utterly mad if you think Foyth has poor technique, that's EXACTLY what he possesses, his technique is his biggest strength right now, it's what makes him stand out. The kid is a baller.

But this isn't the point, players ability can and is always debated. The main point I'm making with you is that you absolutely do not change your view, despite all evidence be that both anecdotal and factual you're presented with, rather than hold your hands up, you doubled down on that opinion and it entrenched you further and further into a hole that you couldn't get out of, it ended you and made you look a bit of a tit (you can't deny this).

Yet, despite this, it sounds as you are ready to go all in on Foyth now, why? He's 21yrs old!!! Why are you convincing yourself that because his physic isn't right (despite sharing almost identical physics as the world s best CB's) that he's not going to make it? At least learn from what you've experienced and go with it. Don't claim he's gonna be World Class, don't claim he's gonna be shit, just be excited by getting the chance to watch a player play and learn his craft. If he makes it you will enjoy it more, why? Because the alternative is whilst everyone is celebrating his prowess you'll be claiming he's shit from your hole in the ground because the lad's physic isn't right.

Never said he had poor technique. Spursmeds said I did but he's got the reading age of a 5 year old and you need to put in pictures really to make him understand a point.

I just say what I see. He's basically got no shoulders. A lot of defending is simply using body strength to ease opposition players off the ball. I just can't see Foyth being strong enough to be a top class CB. He'll get bullied. Good with the ball, sure, midfield might be a possibility. But CB, no. In my opinion.

Never said he had poor technique. Spursmeds said I did but he's got the reading age of a 5 year old and you need to put in pictures really to make him understand a point.

I just say what I see. He's basically got no shoulders. A lot of defending is simply using body strength to ease opposition players off the ball. I just can't see Foyth being strong enough to be a top class CB. He'll get bullied. Good with the ball, sure, midfield might be a possibility. But CB, no. In my opinion.

Not like him to twist somebody's words !

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your previous post about technique, I made the assumption that you mentioned it because you thought he didn't possess that attribute.

But he hasn't been bullied in any of the games he's played. Quite the opposite, he's been target as a possible weak link (if I was the oppo manager I'd have done the same, get your experienced players to target him, rough him over, sledge him etc If you are a Centre Forward who would you fancy your chances against Toby, Jan or Foyth? ), yet despite this, he's stood his ground and won most of his individual battles.

Take a step back, don't allow your brain to form a prejudice based on his shoulders, it looks like it's already forming and already blinding you to what he's actually doing. Remember he IS the weak link in our defence when played, it's not because he's shit or has small shoulders, it's because he's 21yrs old. It means shit CF's will fancy their chances against him rather than against Toby or Jan, it means he will have more to do than either of them in the game. It will also mean that he will show how physically good he is just as Andy Carroll leaned.

This is the problem you think every debate or discussion is a competition that you can win and you'll go to any length to achieve your goals !
Any length being presenting facts and figures, whilst your argument is ''because I said so''.

We are in the post-truth world though. Where facts can be alternate and figures dismissed by rhetoric.

Foyth still relatively young and inexperienced though and could improve sufficiently with Poch coaching

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your previous post about technique, I made the assumption that you mentioned it because you thought he didn't possess that attribute.

But he hasn't been bullied in any of the games he's played. Quite the opposite, he's been target as a possible weak link (if I was the oppo manager I'd have done the same, get your experienced players to target him, rough him over, sledge him etc If you are a Centre Forward who would you fancy your chances against Toby, Jan or Foyth? ), yet despite this, he's stood his ground and won most of his individual battles.

Take a step back, don't allow your brain to form a prejudice based on his shoulders, it looks like it's already forming and already blinding you to what he's actually doing. Remember he IS the weak link in our defence when played, it's not because he's shit or has small shoulders, it's because he's 21yrs old. It means shit CF's will fancy their chances against him rather than against Toby or Jan, it means he will have more to do than either of them in the game. It will also mean that he will show how physically good he is just as Andy Carroll leaned.

I agree in that he doesn’t get bullied but sometimes his judgement is poor especially in the penalty area but plenty of time yet

As for Lamela I have always liked him and felt sorry for him during his early years with us as he suffered the same sort of abuse that Sissoko used to get but came good

I love his attitude especially fucking Wheelchair off and standing on Fibreglass’ hand

I’ve always thought though that his fitness has let him down and it doesn’t look good now but if he does get fit he’s a good option off the bench

Foyth is going to be good, bad or indifferent regardless of any opinions of anyone here. That's all it is, opinions. There was a time I'd have happily sold Davies but he's gone on to be a much left back than I thought he would, a more than decent CB as well. A better one than Foyth imo.

Foyth is going to be good, bad or indifferent regardless of any opinions of anyone here. That's all it is, opinions. There was a time I'd have happily sold Davies but he's gone on to be a much left back than I thought he would, a more than decent CB as well. A better one than Foyth imo.

At the moment yes

Could be a good pairing?

Shocking Report

Player with 250 first team appearances better than one with 28.

More on this at 10...

Back
Top Bottom