Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mendy is an overpaid petulant little shit and this is the type of footballer the supposed big clubs are cultivating while those that play for us are coached to show discipline the Poch way. Unless of course when we are playing the Chavs or the Arse!

£100k per week I'm not buying. Surely a fair old amount of this is made up on playing bonuses or a reduction if he's not selected/ injured

Unfortunately I doubt there are any such clauses and we're stuck paying him that amount for the next three years. I'm sure his agent would have got the best deal for him. Most clubs have players like this. Liverpool have Moreno and Sturridge for example. Players whose wages no-one else would match. Best hope is a loan but Erik seems to like living in London so may be choosey about where he goes. China is another option if he fancies it.

If this is even remotely close to accurate, the player being well overpaid at the club presently is Erik:

£100k per week I'm not buying. Surely a fair old amount of this is made up on playing bonuses or a reduction if he's not selected/ injured

Tbf that would read rather differently if CE and TA had signed their improved deals.

It would but I still think Lamela for all of his injury troubles and dips in and out of the team/ his form is a £75,000 per week player tops. £100k per week for him seems extremely generous and a little out of sync with the rest of our squares earnings

Ditto Vic, but hindsight n'all that....

Pressumably, like Vic, he was fit and on it when he got a raise... Just an inevitable downside to mass contract hikes.

Meanwhile Lucas came in on 70k so replacing Lamela will likely attract a wage outlay of a similar degree anyway.

Comes back to the same point to me; do we have more essential business to do than tinkering with 5th choice AM? (To your sentiment, would ELs wages dictate we'd have to take a hit on any projected fee anyway? ....Likely.)

This summer? ....Definitely.

Ditto Vic, but hindsight n'all that....

Pressumably, like Vic, he was fit and on it when he got a raise... Just an inevitable downside to mass contract hikes.

Meanwhile Lucas came in on 70k so replacing Lamela will likely attract a wage outlay of a similar degree anyway.

Comes back to the same point to me; do we have more essential business to do than tinkering with 5th choice AM? (To your sentiment, would ELs wages dictate we'd have to take a hit on any projected fee anyway? ....Likely.)

This summer? ....Definitely.

The thing with Wanyama is he was as fit a son a fiddle when he signed, injuries happen. With Lamela though he's had so many niggling injuries, back, hip, thigh etc that I can't see how a lump sum of £100k is justified. Similar terms to what he was on before to give him a fresh start I can agree with but a hike up to a rumoured £100k doesn't wash with me. I can't see that it's correct but if it is, obviously Erik is more important as a character to Poch than we all understand or recognise.

As for a new AM in the summer, I'm with you 100%. I'd use the freeing up of squad space Llorente will bring to focus on an AM not a backup to Kane. Son and Lucas can deputise there in the rare occasions Harry is out. I'd get someone who can do similar whereby they operate as an AM option but can chip in should Kane, Sonny or Lucas not be around.

Long term I don't want to see Parrott not get the opportunity to grow into Kane's understudy so I'd personally use the freed up space with Llorente & Janssen going to buy a danger in AM who can double up in multiple positions. Nicolas Pepe or Kai Havertz for me would definitely add unique value for different purposes in the squad

Not got too many problems with it.

We offer players new deals all the time. Lamela signed his. Eriksen and Alderweireld weren't willing to double their wages.

Sissoko at 95k a week though.

:llorisunsure:

The thing with Wanyama is he was as fit a son a fiddle when he signed, injuries happen. With Lamela though he's had so many niggling injuries, back, hip, thigh etc that I can't see how a lump sum of £100k is justified. Similar terms to what he was on before to give him a fresh start I can agree with but a hike up to a rumoured £100k doesn't wash with me. I can't see that it's correct but if it is, obviously Erik is more important as a character to Poch than we all understand or recognise.

As for a new AM in the summer, I'm with you 100%. I'd use the freeing up of squad space Llorente will bring to focus on an AM not a backup to Kane. Son and Lucas can deputise there in the rare occasions Harry is out. I'd get someone who can do similar whereby they operate as an AM option but can chip in should Kane, Sonny or Lucas not be around.

Long term I don't want to see Parrott not get the opportunity to grow into Kane's understudy so I'd personally use the freed up space with Llorente & Janssen going to buy a danger in AM who can double up in multiple positions. Nicolas Pepe or Kai Havertz for me would definitely add unique value for different purposes in the squad

We put our faith in a player that when fit has at times carried us through poor spells (esp. early season when the likes of HK & CE are typically slow out the blocks). I think the faith was rationally placed.

Hindsight says it was an unnecessary payrise, but a new deal was required to protect the asset..... Shit happens (see multiple Goon wages farces). He can still do a job and has the capacity to drag us up a notch on his day.... Can't say the same about GKN, Vic, Jansen etc.

Sorry if i'm stubborn over this but we've already seen it used as an excuse to accuse Levy of being frivolous.....

This man; given the bad rep he has...?:levystare:

Fuck off, you intelligence insulting, opportunistic, contadictory shit-housers(*).

(*Not you, obv, fella!)

We put our faith in a player that when fit has at times carried us through poor spells (esp. early season when the likes of HK & CE are typically slow out the blocks). I think the faith was rationally placed.

Hindsight says it was an unnecessary payrise, but a new deal was required to protect the asset..... Shit happens (see multiple Goon wages farces). He can still do a job and has the capacity to drag us up a notch on his day.... Can't say the same about GKN, Vic, Jansen etc.

Sorry if i'm stubborn over this but we've already seen it used as an excuse to accuse Levy of being frivolous.....

This man; given the bad rep he has...?:levystare:

Fuck off, you intelligence insulting, opportunistic, contadictory shit-housers(*).

(*Not you, obv, fella!)

Agree mate. We definitely put our faith in him at times we needed him earlier in the campaign, I just think he's at the £75k per week mark more than a £100k per week asset. As you said thoughnwe paid a big amount for him and protecting our asset came into play. I'm still on the fence about retaining him moving forward though. The guys clearly got talent and a good attitude but the injuries we've had to endure unfortunately devalues him somewhat.

If offered the chance to use his squad space for a new attacking option, I'd seriously consider it but I don't see us shifting a player on £100k per week if that's what he's on. Not a big issue as he's an important character in the squad which we all know Mauricio values as much as their ability.

Agree mate. We definitely put our faith in him at times we needed him earlier in the campaign, I just think he's at the £75k per week mark more than a £100k per week asset. As you said thoughnwe paid a big amount for him and protecting our asset came into play. I'm still on the fence about retaining him moving forward though. The guys clearly got talent and a good attitude but the injuries we've had to endure unfortunately devalues him somewhat.

If offered the chance to use his squad space for a new attacking option, I'd seriously consider it but I don't see us shifting a player on £100k per week if that's what he's on. Not a big issue as he's an important character in the squad which we all know Mauricio values as much as their ability.

His injury record (he's played one season very well but the other 4 he's been with Spurs, including this one, he's had significant injury issues so he cannot be relied upon to play in the majority of games) so for me whilst he's not top of the list to go, I'd like to replace him if the opportunity occurs, just to get in a player who can generally be relied upon to be fit.

He seems to have loved his time in Italy and goes back there from time to time, including when injured, so I'd guess he'd be very happy to go to a club there.

His injury record (he's played one season very well but the other 4 he's been with Spurs, including this one, he's had significant injury issues so he cannot be relied upon to play in the majority of games) so for me whilst he's not top of the list to go, I'd like to replace him if the opportunity occurs, just to get in a player who can generally be relied upon to be fit.

He seems to have loved his time in Italy and goes back there from time to time, including when injured, so I'd guess he'd be very happy to go to a club there.

Fit AND of requisite quality.

If we can get enough from his sale to provide significant upgrade in his position, as is typical of a squad player, it'd be wise in principal to move him on.

I question that likelyhood however.

Sure we can take a punt on the next N'Jie or maybe a champo CM with the proceeds, but i'd rather our summer window went a little like this:

- Chase main targets hard and early
- Sell bonafide deadwood.
- Secondary tinkering (Lamela being a primary example)

What i dont want us to just make the easy sales only to spend 3 months chasing small fry like GKN.

Back
Top Bottom