Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've forgotten about him. l don't see him playing another game for us. I know this is an unpopular thing to say.

I wouldn't mind him as an option on the bench, but honestly I don't think we'll miss him either.

I like him, but there's better players out there. And especially if he would expect regular starts once he's fit.

So youve established that you don't view him as a key starter.

Do you see him as a key squad member?

If not, & I suspect you don't see him as that either, given that you've already valued him at £15-20 million, who would you bring in for a similar sum of money to replace him? If we spend more than that, then the likelihood is that the player would be a starter (I genuinely don't see Levy spending another £30 million plus on a bench warmer like Sissoko) & therefore Son gets sidelined.

If he can regain full fitness (& conceivably he was playing whilst nursing his hip problem for a while?) why would we want to bin him off without seeing what he can do? I'm confident he will stay & fight for his place. I'm also confident that he can be a very valuable player for us again.
He is a good squad player but we should be able to at least sign another good squad player. Or else there is no hope.

We did amazing without him.
Even if you have doubts about the team without him, I am confident we can be very good without him again.

If you believe he is that important to us, what happens if they say he will miss most of next season?
Would you sign someone to fill his void?
or would you just carry on without him despite thinking we would be much better with lamela?
Surely if we would be that much better with him, we would have to sign someone to replace this big loss to the team?

or if you say sign nobody & that we can cope without him for 2 seasons in a row, maybe he isn't as important or key as you believe.

I just feel we have moved up a level & also look far more balanced without him.
& yes, I think 15-20m would be a good sale in my opinion considering all the fitness doubts.

But I totally respect you for staying loyal & having faith in him to come back fit & be an important player for us. I just don't see it.
Maybe I'm harsh on the wounded as I'd have also got rid of wilshere, andy carroll, sturridge, rosicky etc if they played for us.

Last edited:
He is a good squad player but we should be able to at least sign another good squad player. Or else there is no hope.

We did amazing without him.
Even if you have doubts about the team without him, I am confident we can be very good without him again.

If you believe he is that important to us, what happens if they say he will miss most of next season?
Would you sign someone to fill his void?
or would you just carry on without him despite thinking we would be much better with lamela?
Surely if we would be that much better with him, we would have to sign someone to replace this big loss to the team?

or if you say sign nobody & that we can cope without him for 2 seasons in a row, maybe he isn't as important or key as you believe.

I just feel we have moved up a level & also look far more balanced without him.
& yes, I think 15-20m would be a good sale in my opinion considering all the fitness doubts.
Who's to say we wouldn't have gone one stage better had he been available all season? Speculation I know, but he would have been very handy to have either as a sub, or to rotate around the squad. He weighs in with goals & assists, and had enjoyed a pretty good season last term.

I think it's too early to write him off as a Spurs player because he had a bad injury & we did well without him. Obviously, if he's still crocked we won't be getting a penny for him, so that answers itself. He will remain a Spurs player until he can go on a free or we release him. I don't think we can be without cover for another season, but again it's speculation to say he won't be fit & ready to go at the beginning of next season.

And nobody will pay £15-20 million if there are any fitness doubts. This isn't Monopoly money.

Who's to say we wouldn't have gone one stage better had he been available all season? Speculation I know, but he would have been very handy to have either as a sub, or to rotate around the squad. He weighs in with goals & assists, and had enjoyed a pretty good season last term.

I think it's too early to write him off as a Spurs player because he had a bad injury & we did well without him. Obviously, if he's still crocked we won't be getting a penny for him, so that answers itself. He will remain a Spurs player until he can go on a free or we release him. I don't think we can be without cover for another season, but again it's speculation to say he won't be fit & ready to go at the beginning of next season.

And nobody will pay £15-20 million if there are any fitness doubts. This isn't Monopoly money.
Yeah its all guess work & speculation.
Equally we could have been worse with him in the side. Tough ask for him to have improved us this season.

I think if he gets fit & playing a bit for us. Someone might buy him in jan for 15-20m.
Teams buy injury prone players all the time.

I am very surprised so many on here wouldn't take 15-20m if we were offered it now.
Even fully fit & at his best he doesn't get in our starting 11.

But it's interesting you would buy someone if it turned out he would miss a lot of next season.
Because apparently we couldn't sign anyone as good as lamela.
So we will be worse off whatever.

Yeah its all guess work & speculation.
Equally we could have been worse with him in the side. Tough ask for him to have improved us this season.

I think if he gets fit & playing a bit for us. Someone might buy him in jan for 15-20m.
Teams buy injury prone players all the time.

I am very surprised so many on here wouldn't take 15-20m if we were offered it now.
Even fully fit & at his best he doesn't get in our starting 11.

But it's interesting you would buy someone if it turned out he would miss a lot of next season.
Because apparently we couldn't sign anyone as good as lamela.
So we will be worse off whatever.
The last part is a practicality. I would rather have him in the squad, but IF he was going to spend another season in the treatment room, then it's a big ask to go through a season at Wembley & CL whilst trying to even maintain the standards of the past 2 seasons without a strong squad. An injured Lamela can't contribute anything. A fit Lamela remains a valuable asset to the squad imo.

Sometimes a players value is quickly forgotten. If you watch back through some of his performances, then I'd hope you would see where I'm coming from there. He had some fantastic performances in the season where we missed second by a whisker & was the only player in that last game of the season who looked like he gave a shit.

I think he is more valuable as a squad player than the ~25mil we would get from selling him. Dele and Sonny both scored over 20 goals this season so I can't really see either of them getting dropped. Eriksen is also pretty undroppable. But it does seem like Lamela would excel in a 3-4-2-1 and he played well when we were doing a 4-2-3-1, so I think he can still be a valuable rotation player or sub. Also, isn't he our only left footed forward?

Last edited:
The last part is a practicality. I would rather have him in the squad, but IF he was going to spend another season in the treatment room, then it's a big ask to go through a season at Wembley & CL whilst trying to even maintain the standards of the past 2 seasons without a strong squad. An injured Lamela can't contribute anything. A fit Lamela remains a valuable asset to the squad imo.

Sometimes a players value is quickly forgotten. If you watch back through some of his performances, then I'd hope you would see where I'm coming from there. He had some fantastic performances in the season where we missed second by a whisker & was the only player in that last game of the season who looked like he gave a shit.
Fair enough. I still disagree with all the negative doom & gloom saying we wouldn't be able to get someone as good as lamela.
I have faith in poch being able to get us a good squad player.
If its announced lamela will miss most of next season, I think we are more than capable of getting an equal replacement.

I don't get the contrary viewpoint to yours....

It's as if peeps think a fit Lamela to call upon would have actually been a hindrance.

Squad depth/quality let us down (particularly in cups) this season yet some can't comprehend his value to that scenario?

Bizarre really.

I don't get the contrary viewpoint to yours....

It's as if peeps think a fit Lamela to call upon would have actually been a hindrance.

Squad depth/quality let us down (particularly in cups) this season yet some can't comprehend his value to that scenario?

Bizarre really.

I just find it bizarre that people think there are good squad players who we could replace him with for less than we sell him for. Surely if that's the case people would just sign our targets and leave us with Lamela, saving themselves a few bob?

Fair enough. I still disagree with all the negative doom & gloom saying we wouldn't be able to get someone as good as lamela.
I have faith in poch being able to get us a good squad player.
If its announced lamela will miss most of next season, I think we are more than capable of getting an equal replacement.
I've probably not paid enough attention, but the only negatives I've seen have been about Lamela himself.
And I'm not doubting that we couldn't replace him. What I am doubting is the amount of money people think it would cost to replace him.

You wouldn't replace Lamela with £15-20 million, unless we struck gold again with a little known player (like Alli). I think even the most optimistic fan would agree that we were extremely fortunate that he turned out so well, so quickly.

What none of us know is what's in Poch's mind. Lamela has featured enough for me to believe that Poch valued his contribution very highly pre hip injury & there's nothing to say he won't come back a better player if his injury is behind him. He could well have been carrying that injury for some time & playing through the pain barrier? We just don't know & I think it's short sighted to write off a player that the manager picked almost every game before his injury problems. Lamela certainly doesn't deserve negative comments from fans for having to go through a hip operation. I'm pretty sure it was the last resort or he'd have had the op months earlier.

What we do know is that Poch will make decisions with the best interests of the club as his primary concern. Whether those plans involve Lamela or not, I'm pretty relaxed. Even though Walker's situation troubles me, I have to say that Poch must be trusted to have the solution if he does leave.

You wouldn't replace Lamela with £15-20 million, unless we struck gold again with a little known player (like Alli). I think even the most optimistic fan would agree that we were extremely fortunate that he turned out so well, so quickly.
I think that sums it all up.
I do think we could get a lamela equal for 15-20m, you don't.
& you rate lamela a lot higher than me.
So we will never agree on this issue.
Just like I think alli is on a whole other level to lamela. So we don't need to find another alli to replace lamela.

I also don't believe the players read this forum or value our opinions.
So lamela won't be hurt by a few posts on here.

Me & you seem to agree that walker might actually stay though!

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind him as an option on the bench, but honestly I don't think we'll miss him either.

I like him, but there's better players out there. And especially if he would expect regular starts once he's fit.

Look at how AMAZING Alli and Kane has been with Eriksen given more creative rope/playing off them. Son has been great too. Eriksen's fitness this season was an abnormality. He's ran more miles that everyone in the prem bar Siggy. The odds that he reimained fit for so long with that much effort is amazing. Just from probability alone he's due for a long stint out.

It's not easy to find someone that could do Eriksen's job that has prem experience in that position in our squad. That creative/passing position in the middle be it deep or just behind the main striker etc has been a curse for us. Lamela, Modric, VDV, Anderton, Hudd all had issues with fitness/injuries. I hope he's salvageable. Just because most like me want more pace in the final third I also don't want to disrupt what we have (because finding a creative/goal scoring/faster/leader/set piece taker better than Eriksen is very tough. So if our transfer flops a redo of last season could still lift the title because we'll be more experienced/more click.

Look at how AMAZING Alli and Kane has been with Eriksen given more creative rope/playing off them. Son has been great too. Eriksen's fitness this season was an abnormality. He's ran more miles that everyone in the prem bar Siggy. The odds that he reimained fit for so long with that much effort is amazing. Just from probability alone he's due for a long stint out.

It's not easy to find someone that could do Eriksen's job that has prem experience in that position in our squad. That creative/passing position in the middle be it deep or just behind the main striker etc has been a curse for us. Lamela, Modric, VDV, Anderton, Hudd all had issues with fitness/injuries. I hope he's salvageable. Just because most like me want more pace in the final third I also don't want to disrupt what we have (because finding a creative/goal scoring/faster/leader/set piece taker better than Eriksen is very tough. So if our transfer flops a redo of last season could still lift the title because we'll be more experienced/more click.

Eriksen tops the distance covered charts every season. Has done since his first season at Ajax.

Back
Top Bottom