Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have no idea if Lamela will ever be as good as he was before the injury. When a player is injured for such a long time, they sometimes are never the same player again. Sandro is an example of a great Spurs player that never recovered from an injury. The club will have a better idea than us if Lamela is likely to be fit to play at Poch's high pressing standard again. I do not think he will be fit for pre season and so when will he be fit enough to start? If there are doubts we need another option. Decisions on whether he stays or goes have to wait until/if he is fit.

IMO Lamela is perfect backup for Eriksen. Just don't play them together. Eriksen has flourished this season surrounded by pace (Son, Walker, Rose, Wanyama, Jan, Toby etc) and power (Kane, Dembele, Wanyama, Dier etc)

Lamela has no power/pace. If we go back to playing Lamela, Kane, Dier, Eriksen, Dembele and Dier we will have the slowest midfield/attack in the prem: At Wembley?

IMO the mix at the end of the season was perfect. Son's pace was SO underrated. It was a catalyst to bring Eriksen, Alli and Kane into the game. If we slow it down with Lamela we will be back to 4th.

It's not the player/skill/ability. It's physics. We need to match the speed of Chelsea etc to dominate. It's why I didn't melt down when Poch benched Dembele. Before we knew it was an injury we thought it was general rotation. But tactically it's good.

I don't want Alli, Dembele, Dier, Eriksen and Kane bunched close together. As a collective it's too slow.

When I say "too slow" I mean they will still dominate most teams. But I honestly think with more pace in the attack, experience and a set piece taker to keep Eriksen on his toes we will not only win the title, but dominate Europe.

I think Lamela would have put up Eriksens numbers with the same lineup. Eriksen and Lamela are just not good partners. Stylistic/physical/movement clashes. We were spoiled this season with Eriksens fitness. One bad tackle and he can be out for 10 months (like Lamela). So we need backup.

I just hope Lamela is not crocked. He was so determined and does not deserve a second major injury.

I'm hoping we don't sign a Siggy. Again it's not the skills, it's physical. PACE!

I actually agree with a lot of that. However I don't think you can say Lamela has no power/pace, he is just not a speedster. Lamela is a creative number 10 and that would be his best role most likely, we have two so I don't see the point of getting Siggy.

I accept we need more power/pace in wide channels, Poch has spoken previously about this before and we have unsuccessfully tried with Niji and Nkouduo and are now linked with Zaha (a player who I think is very good)

As a club we have a very limited net zero spend transfer policy so getting the components together is very hard and we have done a great job building different parts of the team.

We have no idea if Lamela will ever be as good as he was before the injury. When a player is injured for such a long time, they sometimes are never the same player again. Sandro is an example of a great Spurs player that never recovered from an injury. The club will have a better idea than us if Lamela is likely to be fit to play at Poch's high pressing standard again. I do not think he will be fit for pre season and so when will he be fit enough to start? If there are doubts we need another option. Decisions on whether he stays or goes have to wait until/if he is fit.

Depends how we use him, if he is played centrally as the playmaker in cover or competition with Eriksen he should be ok. If we are trying to play him wide then speed comes into play so more of an issue.

Lamela has been gone for so long people forget how good he was particularly against top sides like City or Chelsea, he presses better than anyone and like Eriksen is a natural playmaker. Be a shame if he leaves, been annoying to have him and also Rose out for such long periods.

There you fantasists to again, searching out stats to validate your beliefs.

He was our second top scorer because he played all the cup games. The League is the universal judgement of a player because the opponents are all of a certain standard. He's scored 8 goals in 4 years! More important than Dele? You absolute joker. Why in your mind are the mega rich clubs like the Spanish giants, City of United never linked with Lamela. We all know they want Kane, Dele, Walker, Rose, Toby, Loris plus others. But they never show any interest in Lamela. Why is that? I can go on forums of other clubs and they'll have threads dedicated to the likes of Kane and Dele, but not Lamela - because no one rates him.
He averages about 15 league starts & 2 goals a season since he has been here.
Somehow, I think we will cope without him (as we did).

Depends how we use him, if he is played centrally as the playmaker in cover or competition with Eriksen he should be ok. If we are trying to play him wide then speed comes into play so more of an issue.

Lamela has been gone for so long people forget how good he was particularly against top sides like City or Chelsea, he presses better than anyone and like Eriksen is a natural playmaker. Be a shame if he leaves, been annoying to have him and also Rose out for such long periods.
I think you are missing my point. Eriksen covers more ground than anyone and his replacement (Lamela ) would have to do the same. He could before his injury. However he is unlikely to have a pre season and for months has tried to get fit but something was not right. He will not know if the op has worked until he really steps up his training and maybe he will still be having problems. Too many players when they have an injury that puts them out for 10 months which it will be at best, are never the same again and end up going to a lesser team. We just do not know. I just feel that we should not be counting on him being the same player and if he is then it is a bonus.

I think you are missing my point. Eriksen covers more ground than anyone and his replacement (Lamela ) would have to do the same. He could before his injury. However he is unlikely to have a pre season and for months has tried to get fit but something was not right. He will not know if the op has worked until he really steps up his training and maybe he will still be having problems. Too many players when they have an injury that puts them out for 10 months which it will be at best, are never the same again and end up going to a lesser team. We just do not know. I just feel that we should not be counting on him being the same player and if he is then it is a bonus.

Fitness may take a while to get back but I don't see that as a long term issue as long as he recovers from his hip surgery. Injuries long term tend to affect explosive speed (short burst) most famously Michael Owen with his hamstrings, they don't generally lower a persons fitness dramatically although yes I'd imagine he would need a good few months to get back.

That's why I believe as long as Lamela is not expect to provide speed in wide channels we should be ok.

He averages about 15 league starts & 2 goals a season since he has been here.
Somehow, I think we will cope without him (as we did).
I agree I am not saying he is shit or hasn't had some good patches for us, but I don't understand the overwhelming love some on here have for him? We just had our best season in the last 50 odd years and he played no part. I don't see how he can be considered an integral part of our squad.

So both dembele & lamela each have 1 good & 1 bad hip.
Can't we join them together at the hip so they are conjoined with 2 good hips.
Obviously they would be named demela.

I agree I am not saying he is shit or hasn't had some good patches for us, but I don't understand the overwhelming love some on here have for him? We just had our best season in the last 50 odd years and he played no part. I don't see how he can be considered an integral part of our squad.

Did we not lack squad strength this season (see cups)?

Is Lamela not widely considered better than Sissoko, N'jie and GKN?

Why would he below them in any pecking order for the 'exit'?

If leaning heavily on the fitness 'reasoning' then explain why/who'd buy him?

Agreed. He is a good squad player & obviously I hope he fully recovers.
But I don't see him as a key starter like some others.
& I am not convinced by people who say he is a key/integral player but also concede he would be on the bench/not a starter.
That's using the words 'key' & 'integral' very loosely.
Anyway, hope he gets fit but very confident about this team without him.
Don't think him not playing will have a negative impact on our performances & results whatsoever.

Agreed. He is a good squad player & obviously I hope he fully recovers.
But I don't see him as a key starter like some others.
& I am not convinced by people who say he is a key & integral player but also concede he would be on the bench & not a starter.
That's using the words 'key' & 'integral' very loosely.

Any quotes? Sounds distinctly like you're battling 'phantom' opinions...

Not seen anyone here talking in such terms.

Did we not lack squad strength this season (see cups)?

Is Lamela not widely considered better than Sissoko, N'jie and GKN?

Why would he below them in any pecking order for the 'exit'?

If leaning heavily on the fitness 'reasoning' then explain why/who'd buy him?

I don't disagree with anything you have said really. IF he is healthy he is a good squad player. I am not saying we should definitely sell him but on the other hand if we got a decent offer (which I doubt we will) then I wouldn't lose any sleep over losing him.

Any quotes? Sounds distinctly like you're battling 'phantom' opinions...

Not seen anyone here talking in such terms.
Spursdem disagreed & argued against me when I said he wouldn't be a key starter.
Read back lazy boy.

He's still under contract, so why are people talking like we need to sell him this summer?

Best case scenario is he comes back from injury and is an integral part to our team. Worst case scenario is that he comes back from injury, is terrible, doesn't play for our team, and that's that.

Against my better judgement I just scanned the last 3 pages....

Nada.
Not my problem you failed once again.
Most of the posts are me saying I don't think lamela would be a key starter & then you & spursdem arguing against it.

In response to me saying " He wouldn't be key or a starting 11 player next season"

Based on what evidence?

Because when he's been fit he has been exclusively a starting key player.

I go back to Isco. Using the Bale scenario. Isco has been phenomenal in his absence, but the fact of the matter is is that Bale starts when he returns.

The same logic will probably be applied with Lamela and Son, as shown this season and last.

Even if not, he would still be a rotation option. Son-Alli-Eriksen combo will not start 55 games next year. It's a squad game and therefore Lamela is still a key player.

Still.... Evidence > crystal ball syndrome in the REAL world.

Ignoring historic evidence and common sense in coming to your rather, ahem, neich "opinion", mind.

Because by ignoring contrary evidence your opinion severely lacks credibility.

You're welcome to your opinion (no one's attacking your liberty here!).... Doesn't mean it's not bollocks though and that it won't get treated as such.

But it's fine if you both don't think he will be a key starter. Just don't get why you both argued against this.

If you are that interested then just ask your pal spursdem whether he thinks lamela (if fit) will be a key starter.
Be good if you got him to commit to a simple yes or no too. But I wouldn't hold your breath.

Last edited:
I actually agree with a lot of that. However I don't think you can say Lamela has no power/pace, he is just not a speedster. Lamela is a creative number 10 and that would be his best role most likely, we have two so I don't see the point of getting Siggy.

I accept we need more power/pace in wide channels, Poch has spoken previously about this before and we have unsuccessfully tried with Niji and Nkouduo and are now linked with Zaha (a player who I think is very good)

As a club we have a very limited net zero spend transfer policy so getting the components together is very hard and we have done a great job building different parts of the team.

IMO Lamela's enthusiasm has hid the very basic fact that was getting creamed down the the flank. He almost always fouled because he was a step off and momentum was his enemy. This is how we got beaten in the semis. Set peices/corners leading to goals when we dominate. That's what needs to be cut out.

Poch has given Eriksen the key to the midfield to feed Alli/Son and Kane. Given him more attacking rope because Dembele/Wanyama or Dier are a perfect barrier to make up for Lamela's gaps in his game.

IMO this staring 11 minus Eriksen is going to be a gestalt candy store for Lamela. He will see so much quality ball, and he's such a clever nasty little bastard, he'll be amazing IMO.

BUT put him next to Eriksen, Alli and too many slower players and he'll be exposed long term. Like I said, still top 4 but with the right mix and more pace/experience next to him we could have a legacy trophy team.

IMO this is why Jansen has failed. His pace and lack of experience COMPOUNDS our only 2 shortcomings.

Not my problem you failed once again.
Most of the posts are me saying I don't think lamela would be a key starter & then you & spursdem arguing against it.

In response to me saying " He wouldn't be key or a starting 11 player next season"

But it's fine if you both don't think he will be a key starter. Just don't get why you both argued against this.

If you are that interested then just ask your pal spursdem whether he thinks lamela (if fit) will be a key starter.
Be good if you got him to commit to a simple yes or no too. But I wouldn't hold your breath.
So youve established that you don't view him as a key starter.

Do you see him as a key squad member?

If not, & I suspect you don't see him as that either, given that you've already valued him at £15-20 million, who would you bring in for a similar sum of money to replace him? If we spend more than that, then the likelihood is that the player would be a starter (I genuinely don't see Levy spending another £30 million plus on a bench warmer like Sissoko) & therefore Son gets sidelined.

If he can regain full fitness (& conceivably he was playing whilst nursing his hip problem for a while?) why would we want to bin him off without seeing what he can do? I'm confident he will stay & fight for his place. I'm also confident that he can be a very valuable player for us again.

I really hope that Lamela is able to keep playing for Spurs. He really is the "ideal Poch player": Argentine, hardworking, excellent passer, excellent defender...plus he is pioneering the "male eyeliner" movement, which I am fully on board with because that stuff makes my eyes pop like you wouldn't believe :lamelashock:

Back
Top Bottom