Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We don't miss his goals because he doesn't score many. Just as we don't miss Dembele's goals.

What we miss is his pressing and his thru-balls, not even the wonderful Eriksen can match Lamela's thru-balls. (I can't find the stat now but I believe no single player in the Prem has played has many thru balls that have led to a goal, I hope I've got this right, sorry if not). This also came about in the 'big games" where he always turned up (think Woolwich, City, Manure) carrying he ball towards goal then releasing a delightful pass threaded through the oppo defence. Anyone who wants to read more on this I recommend this by Michael Cox as an excellent read: Michael Cox: How Erik Lamela perfectly demonstrated his big improvements at Stoke

Final thought, dare I say it, I think he is a better deadfall taker than Eriksen. Have we scored from a corner this year?? If we have it's very few. We've gone from the team that scores the most from corners to hardly scoring or not scoring form one.
Lovely ball there.

Totally agree with the corners. It's almost got to the stage of ABE please, anyone but Eriksen. I'd even be prepared to try Trippier from the right, he's got a lovely first time cross when it's harder.

Despite the apparent pre-occupation with goal scoring, as a 90min performer, he's still the 2nd most creative player in our squad, presses as good/better than anyone and has a fire indicates total commitment.

Goals: He had a better season last year and looked to be improving that aspect of his PL game.... Never had a problem scoring in other comps but that seems to be ignored by some. Besides let's not pretend Eriksen's goal scoring and set piece delivery doesn't, cyclically, notably fluctuate.

Sell Lamela and we lose a proven quality starter and a level of bench player that we cannot otherwise afford to sign/pay.

...30m for Sissoko should serve as a poignant warning of this and I'd rather keep him than end up with Barkley, Zaha and the likes of EPL 'proven' we are being linked with.
No, no, no. We should get him back to full fitness at our place, sell him for a knock down fee & spend the family silver on a playmaker from overseas who we can say - without seeing him kick a ball in the premier league- can unlock defences better than Erik.

Easy peasy.

:angryscouser:

Shed the deadwood and start the next season with Dele , Eriksen, Son, Lamela + Isco.

In all honesty, that's far better than we can rightfully expect considering our financials.

Fail to see how any FM-LIKE tinkering could possibly leave us with any such quality and depth.

Yes a satisfactory amount of game time for each will be key to keeping them happy but remember; we'll need to both a) start strong and b) rotate more next season. The latter will be key as we begin to clock up the extra milage due to the bigger pitch and the hope of doing better in Europe.

Front load our spending this summer as necessary. Rather this anyway, so any newbies should already be bedded in by the time we enter the new Lane... Need to minimise any on pitch 'upheaval'/change on that front.

Lovely ball there.

Totally agree with the corners. It's almost got to the stage of ABE please, anyone but Eriksen. I'd even be prepared to try Trippier from the right, he's got a lovely first time cross when it's harder.
I'm not one to really get excited on corners as many can testify with my endless posts about their effectiveness. But our lovely Argentine lad is our best corner taker and I'd wish he had the balls to say to Eriksen this one's mine amigo when it comes to free kicks some of the time. His delivery is superb.

8 goals in 85 league games is a poor return from Lamela that is indisputable.

He has been a key player at times and in certain games but a liability in others and a passenger in many, I'm not having a pop at him he's decent but he's certainly not a vital member of the team for me.

He's got 21 goals in the past 2 seasons - 11 goals in 2015-16 and 10 in 2014-15.

AM's aren't likely to score 15-20 goals a season.

Shed the deadwood and start the next season with Dele , Eriksen, Son, Lamela + Isco.

In all honesty, that's far better than we can rightfully expect considering our financials.

Fail to see how any FM-LIKE tinkering could possibly leave us with any such quality and depth.

Yes a satisfactory amount of game time for each will be key to keeping them happy but remember; we'll need to both a) start strong and b) rotate more next season. The latter will be key as we begin to clock up the extra milage due to the bigger pitch and the hope of doing better in Europe.

Front load our spending this summer as necessary. Rather this anyway, so any newbies should already be bedded in by the time we enter the new Lane... Need to minimise any on pitch 'upheaval'/change on that front.
Also, players are learning what Poch wants. Took Eriksen until midway through last year for him to understand what he wanted. Point is the players you mention contribute to our best performances by knowing what is required of them. Many new faces means more lag to learn what is required.

We don't miss his goals because he doesn't score many. Just as we don't miss Dembele's goals.

What we miss is his pressing and his thru-balls, not even the wonderful Eriksen can match Lamela's thru-balls. (I can't find the stat now but I believe no single player in the Prem has played has many thru balls that have led to a goal, I hope I've got this right, sorry if not). This also came about in the 'big games" where he always turned up (think Woolwich, City, Manure) carrying he ball towards goal then releasing a delightful pass threaded through the oppo defence. Anyone who wants to read more on this I recommend this by Michael Cox as an excellent read:

Final thought, dare I say it, I think he is a better deadfall taker than Eriksen. Have we scored from a corner this year?? If we have it's very few. We've gone from the team that scores the most from corners to hardly scoring or not scoring form one.

We scored directly from about 5 or 6 Eriksen corners last season and indirectly - second ball - from another few. I can't remember 1 from Lamela's corners. This season we haven't been as good because teams have cottoned on to our near post routine. Southampton away is the only one I can remember.

I'm not buying Lamela being better at through balls either. He just tries them more often, even when they're not on. Eriksen can do lots of different things with the ball. When has Lamela crossed from the right like Eriksen did twice for Alli against Chelsea? Or cut inside and stroke the ball in with his weaker foot like against Southampton?

Either the guy gets a new contract in the Summer or is sold. My money's on the latter personally.

We scored directly from about 5 or 6 Eriksen corners last season and indirectly - second ball - from another few. I can't remember 1 from Lamela's corners. This season we haven't been as good because teams have cottoned on to our near post routine.

Let's not pretend CE doesn't beat the first man a hell of a lot of the time. Being able to mix it up is no bad thing...

Personally, keen to see us mix it up with direct FKS too.... CE isn't quite as (consistently) dangerous as he is often portrayed.

(Neither is/was Siggy IMO.... But that's another discussion.)

Let's not pretend CE doesn't beat the first man a hell of a lot of the time. Being able to mix it up is no bad thing...

Personally, keen to see us mix it up with direct FKS too.... CE isn't quite as (consistently) dangerous as he is often portrayed.

(Neither is/was Siggy IMO.... But that's another discussion.)

The tactic is to put corners to the near post and for players like Diet or Toby to get a run on their marker and get a header in a goal like the latter did against Southampton at the weekend. When the defender gets there first it looks bad but in truth all goals conceded at corners are defensive errors.

The tactic is to put corners to the near post and for players like Diet or Toby to get a run on their marker and get a header in a goal like the latter did against Southampton at the weekend. When the defender gets there first it looks bad but in truth all goals conceded at corners are defensive errors.

I'm aware of this.... I'm talking about the many that don't arrive at an attack-able height regardless of what follows from the defenders of attackers.

If the defender is able to simply side foot it clear... In this case that's what I mean by not beating the first man (irrespective of whether it clears the 1st post or not).

Ya right in that the oppo are probably a bit more wise to this tactic now, but again that just suggests we need to mix it up more... Not just persist regardless.

We scored directly from about 5 or 6 Eriksen corners last season and indirectly - second ball - from another few. I can't remember 1 from Lamela's corners. This season we haven't been as good because teams have cottoned on to our near post routine. Southampton away is the only one I can remember.

I'm not buying Lamela being better at through balls either. He just tries them more often, even when they're not on. Eriksen can do lots of different things with the ball. When has Lamela crossed from the right like Eriksen did twice for Alli against Chelsea? Or cut inside and stroke the ball in with his weaker foot like against Southampton?

Either the guy gets a new contract in the Summer or is sold. My money's on the latter personally.
We scored 10 league goals from corners last year (2nd best in League) 5 of them from Lamela. (Don't have other stats for cup comps, no doubt more their too).

Lamela through balls: "because he tries more often" - Thank fuck Kane shoots more often!

"When has Lamela crossed"
Hhhmmm, let me think......
FrighteningAmusingIberianemeraldlizard.gif

Mainly Europa league against shite tho his Pl record is 8 in 85
You sound like the announcers for NBC Sports last week. All they could talk about was how Jannsen had failed to score from open play in a Premier League game. Just because they aren't league games doesn't make them not count.

We scored 10 league goals from corners last year (2nd best in League) 5 of them from Lamela. (Don't have other stats for cup comps, no doubt more their too).

Lamela through balls: "because he tries more often" - Thank fuck Kane shoots more often!

No, I can guarantee you we didn't score 5 league goals from Lamela's corners last season. Name the goals please.

I specifically said crosses from the right, where Lamela plays. I think that's the only Lamela cross from which a goal has been scored. This isn't good enough for a 30 million pound wide forward/midfielder.

Sometimes I think you just have to accept you're wasting your time mate.

After his first season with us, I thought what another waste of money he was.

However, Lamela has grown into a real exponent of Poch's style of football. Presses hard, plays with edge, exquisite skill with good end product (rather than showboating) and technically very good.

How folk don't see what an important player he can be for us is quite incredible. If he's broken, then we won't be able to give him away. If he's capable of being fixed, then he knows the system the manager plays & is more than able to operate in it. Quite who we would buy as a ready made replacement, nobody seems able to answer.

No, I can guarantee you we didn't score 5 league goals from Lamela's corners last season. Name the goals please.

I specifically said crosses from the right, where Lamela plays. I think that's the only Lamela cross from which a goal has been scored. This isn't good enough for a 30 million pound wide forward/midfielder.
No mate I can't, I get them off a stat site and I am fucked if I'm going trawl through game by game corner by corner, bollocks to that.

Who gives a flying fuck if it's a cross from the right apart from you?

Carry on and ignore the facts about his creativity, facts are he is one of our most creative players, which also makes him one of the Leagues most creative players. I couldn't give a fuck if he cost £5m or £45m. I just look at what a player contributes.

No mate I can't, I get them off a stat site and I am fucked if I'm going trawl through game by game corner by corner, bollocks to that.

Who gives a flying fuck if it's a cross from the right apart from you?

Carry on and ignore the facts about his creativity, facts are he is one of our most creative players, which also makes him one of the Leagues most creative players. I couldn't give a fuck if he cost £5m or £45m. I just look at what a player contributes.

I put a whole host of stats together for Lamela last time someone said "what does he actually do" because he wasn't scoring rabona goals every other game.

I'll see if i can dig them out.

EDIT: Here we go (correct as of Feb this year):

I would argue that Lamela is an incredibly important player. Perhaps with him being out for so long it easy to overlook his importance.

He offers an urgency and a desire that hardly any other player in the team can match. He has a goal or an assist every 184 mins for Tottenham so far (Eriksen every 176mins, Alli every 155mins and for comparison - Hazard every 164mins, Silva every 175mins).

Considering how poor he was for the first couple of seasons its an impressive stat.

Yes he gets dispossessed more than other players but its because his play is more direct. Compare him to someone like Dembele (who on average was actually dispossessed MORE than Lamela per game last season but is praised as being "un-pressable") who has a pass completion of 91% but consistently plays low risk passses to the wings or behind him, preferring to run with the ball.

Last season he had the second highest average number of key passes behind Eriksen, and the same number of assists in the league as Alli.

On top of all that he had the 4th highest number of average tackles per game in the team, which is incredible for a front three player. Okay he commits more fouls than anyone else but that method of breaking up play is clearly a big Part of Poch's defensive gameplan.

Honestly, i dont there is another player who embodies Poch's philosophy of how we should play football more than Lamela. - Get stuck in, win the ball back as quickly as possible, play it direct.

Last edited:
Give me one quote of him being unhappy in the U.K. Playing for us? Because he has tweeted the complete opposite about 70 times so far this year.
Tweets? There was a very long period where we didnt hear anything from him. Where is the, Im missing the players,club, playing for Spurs Tweets. You may get the odd one just out of obligation . He would never Tweet, Im pissed off.
First I meant summer last and yes he put in a shift all seaon 15/16. We dont know whats going on this season, other than , he has gone missing. Whether its family, injury, dog or just fed up, who knows. I feel he will be gone in the summer, hope Im wrong, its just my opinion.

He was the only one who looked like he gave a solitary fuck against the barcodes in the last game of the season. Imo, he was the only player who could walk off the pitch knowing he'd done everything to grab the team by the scruff of the neck and get us second spot.

It amazes me how short sighted some people are when it comes to some of our players. He was a key player for us last season. He doesn't turn into a second rate clogger in the space of a few months. He's just turned 25 years old & some seem willing to throw him out with the bath water.

If he's crocked, who the fuck is going to buy him?

If Spurs can get him fit & firing, can anyone genuinely say they'd want rid of this player...?

For balance, we are performing better this season without him. Whether we could have reach an even higher level with him, we will never know.

Back
Top Bottom