Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ok...so can you tell me who you would bring in to replace our outgoing Argentinian burden?

At the very least it frees up space for Marcus Edwards. I could see Lamela, GKN and Sissoko departing. The replacement could, on one end of the scale, be Ousmane Dembele, with a more attainable option behind Zaha. Someone who offers something different, which Lamela doesn't.

And sad to say he has become a burden. Two season missing injuries, to his back and hip, neither of which show up on a scan, neither of which happened in matches and he only responds to treatment in Rome. I'm convinced it's a psychology, anxiety related issue which Roma knew about when they sold him, and they treat it with sugar tablets they tell him is a special medicine. Our mistake has been trying to treat a non existent injury as a real one.

Don't care much for stats, I do care about Lamela and what he brings to the team when he's fit and playing.
Same goes for Kane, Eriksen, Dele etc. Don't care how far they've ran or how many successful passes they've completed.

I miss Erik.

I loved the through pass to Eriksen to put us 2-1 up at the Etihad.
I loved him trodding on the paw of that odious little cunt Fabregas at Stamford Bridge.
I loved the icing on the cake finish at WHL to thump ManU 3-0.

Those moments mean more to me than stats.

At the very least it frees up space for Marcus Edwards. I could see Lamela, GKN and Sissoko departing. The replacement could, on one end of the scale, be Ousmane Dembele, with a more attainable option behind Zaha. Someone who offers something different, which Lamela doesn't.

And sad to say he has become a burden. Two season missing injuries, to his back and hip, neither of which show up on a scan, neither of which happened in matches and he only responds to treatment in Rome. I'm convinced it's a psychology, anxiety related issue which Roma knew about when they sold him, and they treat it with sugar tablets they tell him is a special medicine. Our mistake has been trying to treat a non existent injury as a real one.
Zaha?
:pochfacepalm:

Dembele?
:levylol:

Not including the injuries, I think so many of us are so eager to have him play in a Spurs shirt and make an impact on the team because we can see the epic potential he has as a player. I like a few others on here picked him preseason for player of the season. He seemed like he was right at the cusp of being such an integral part of our squad.

Not including the injuries, I think so many of us are so eager to have him play in a Spurs shirt and make an impact on the team because we can see the epic potential he has as a player. I like a few others on here picked him preseason for player of the season. He seemed like he was right at the cusp of being such an integral part of our squad.
He still could. He's just turned 25.

No, Son didn't any assists. His cross for Kane's equaliser was deflected and winning a penalty doesn't constitute an assist but Davies passing the ball 5 yards and then Kane blasting it in from 30 yards does. An assist is often a BS stat, which is why it's better to refer to specific actions rather than just stats.
I agree that assists are a BS stat. Player 1 could thread an inch-perfect through ball to a striker to put him through one-on-one, yet the striker might still miss the shot - or Player 2 could play a backwards pass in the middle of the pitch to a teammate, who might then go on to dribble it 30 yards and score. If we were to use assists as a measure of which player made the better creative contribution, they would say it was Player 2, when obviously it's really Player 1. The popularity of the assist stat is just a result of fantasy football needing to find a simple way to give points to midfielders. And by the way, the Premier League fantasy football game did give Son 2 assists - go to this link and click on our match if you don't believe me!

But this basically highlights the fact that we need to use better stats to measure creativity. Such stats do exist, such as 'key passes', which counts how many actual scoring chances a player creates, or 'expected assists', which not only count the scoring chances created but weights them according to how good a chance they are. Obviously these stats aren't as popular, because they actually take a bit of real analysis to calculate and often aren't easily accessible in the public domain.

If I were a club looking to sign a new creative midfielder from a league that I didn't know much about, I'd ask my scouts to start by looking at players with high 'key pass' or 'expected assist' stats - rather than those with high 'assist' stats. In fact, I'd weight those stats per 90 minutes to take into account the fact that not every player plays the same amount of time. That way, I'd be judging players based on what they're actually contributing individually.

You sound like the announcers for NBC Sports last week. All they could talk about was how Jannsen had failed to score from open play in a Premier League game. Just because they aren't league games doesn't make them not count.

I think some are giving extra marks for potential rather than what he's actually achieved at Spurs.
good player yes
match day squad player yes
great player no
indespensible no

Shame he got injured. Looked like this was going to be an improvement on his last season
2 assist in CL in 3 games
And in about six full games of playing time (583mins) in PL a goal and assist.
Wasn't even at his best, like the rest of them.
Scored on the opening day where Janssen and Kane couldn't.
His delivery is excellent from the right on corners.
We have missed him.
It's a shame as when he came he got injured. Worked his way back, improved vastly, and started to net in PL. 5 goals and nine assists was a great return.
If he was doing that this year along with Eriksen like he did last, - especially now Eriksen has reached last years goal tally with 10 games left- we would be a much more potent attacking force.
I've also noticed that without him we are not as fast and precise on the counter.
Lamela was usually involved in the ballwinning and initial fast first pinpoint pass that set them off. Involved somewhere.
Son cannot do what he does. sissoko hasn't and Nkoudo well we have t seen anything.

I'm a fan of Lamela but i do think he is overrated on here by some if i am being completley honest. He's a good player but whats our record like when he is not playing? We do not miss his presence when he is not playing unlike quite a few other players but i do admire his work rate. In an attacking sense he does possess some strong attributes (namely corners and his ability to pick a nice through ball from time to time) but i do wish he got himseld more involved in our attacking play and take control from time to time. He drifts in and out of games and he was poor before this injury.

The argument of we haven't missed him this season bugs me a fair bit. I reckon we'd have been just as well off if we had lost Eriksen or Alli but still had Lamela. Eriksen, Alli and Lamela for me are all of the same level and fortunately 2 of the 3 will get us through. The only players we have in the squad who we have no ideal back up for at the same level is Kane, Toby and Lloris.

The stats say Ben Davies made a bigger attacking difference in our 3-2 win against Everton than Son did in our 3-2 win against West Ham. Do you think the stats tell the true story I'm this case?

No, Son didn't any assists. His cross for Kane's equaliser was deflected and winning a penalty doesn't constitute an assist but Davies passing the ball 5 yards and then Kane blasting it in from 30 yards does. An assist is often a BS stat, which is why it's better to refer to specific actions rather than just stats.

The stats Vs watching football argument is a tedious and repetitive one and is perpetuated by those that only see in black and white.

In short, stats don't replace actually watching football, they do however (if used and combined correctly) allow us to objectify and substantiate our impressions gained from watching the game.

So the "assists" stat may be BS when considered in isolation. i.e. a player may get an "assist" for a misplaced pass, but in numbers over the course of a season they give an indication of a player's creative intent.

Even so, if we ignore "assists" Lamelas numbers are good.

Perhaps you should consider that if you are to judge a player based purely on observation on the pitch then its difficult to have an accurate opinion about them if they haven't played a game in 6 months. This, i understand, is it's own issue.

Yes we have played better this season than last and without Lamela in the team, but there is no doubt that the squad would be better with Lamela available. In an 4231 he starts in front of Son for me, in the 3421 he is a much better option off the bench than anything else we have.

The stats Vs watching football argument is a tedious and repetitive one and is perpetuated by those that only see in black and white.

In short, stats don't replace actually watching football, they do however (if used and combined correctly) allow us to objectify and substantiate our impressions gained from watching the game.

So the "assists" stat may be BS when considered in isolation. i.e. a player may get an "assist" for a misplaced pass, but in numbers over the course of a season they give an indication of a player's creative intent.

Even so, if we ignore "assists" Lamelas numbers are good.

Perhaps you should consider that if you are to judge a player based purely on observation on the pitch then its difficult to have an accurate opinion about them if they haven't played a game in 6 months. This, i understand, is it's own issue.

Yes we have played better this season than last and without Lamela in the team, but there is no doubt that the squad would be better with Lamela available. In an 4231 he starts in front of Son for me, in the 3421 he is a much better option off the bench than anything else we have.

Would just add to your final sentence- or anyone else we could afford to bring in.

Back
Top Bottom