Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I predicted Lamela to be in contention for Player of the Year this season. I really thought be would breakout and become an absolute star. Sadly, this season he's been injured and wasn't his best when he was fit. I can't imagine selling him this summer. I wouldn't sell him for anything less than 30m and i highly doubt anyone will value you him at that much coming off this season.

Prediction: Sold in the summer - I believe it was just, he was never happy living and playing in the UK. Thats all it is?
He was almost off in the summer, then persuaded or forced to stay. Gave it a go but the injury gave him an excuse to stop. Its all credit to Poch to get so much out of him.

Prediction: Sold in the summer - I believe it was just, he was never happy living and playing in the UK. Thats all it is?
He was almost off in the summer, then persuaded or forced to stay. Gave it a go but the injury gave him an excuse to stop. Its all credit to Poch to get so much out of him.

Give me one quote of him being unhappy in the U.K. Playing for us? Because he has tweeted the complete opposite about 70 times so far this year.

Was he almost off in the summer?

Or was that last season where Poch pulled out of a loan to Marseille at the last minute? He then stayed and played some of his best football.

No, actually he lost his place in the league team to Son from Stoke away onwards. He only came back for a couple of games when Kane got injured.
He played more minutes than him right up to his last game for us before injury. Wether you take League games, cup games in isolation or all games combined he played more minutes.

Relax. He'll be back to score the extra time winner against the Goons in the cup final in May. Its all part of the master plan.

I like Lamela but feel he is overrated a bit on here , never really been a key player and never scored anywhere near enough goals , i hope he regains his fitness and remains for another season but if he was sold well lets just say he'd be the one I'd be least concerned about leaving in the first team.

I like Lamela but feel he is overrated a bit on here , never really been a key player and never scored anywhere near enough goals , i hope he regains his fitness and remains for another season but if he was sold well lets just say he'd be the one I'd be least concerned about leaving in the first team.

Never scored anywhere near enough goals.

Wasn't he our second or third top goal scorer last year?

Never been a key player? We take him off vs Woolwich last year and end drawing as a result.

He's one of the most important players in our entire team.

Never been a key player? We take him off vs Woolwich last year and end drawing as a result.

8 goals in 85 league games is a poor return from Lamela that is indisputable.

He has been a key player at times and in certain games but a liability in others and a passenger in many, I'm not having a pop at him he's decent but he's certainly not a vital member of the team for me.

He was the only one who looked like he gave a solitary fuck against the barcodes in the last game of the season. Imo, he was the only player who could walk off the pitch knowing he'd done everything to grab the team by the scruff of the neck and get us second spot.

It amazes me how short sighted some people are when it comes to some of our players. He was a key player for us last season. He doesn't turn into a second rate clogger in the space of a few months. He's just turned 25 years old & some seem willing to throw him out with the bath water.

If he's crocked, who the fuck is going to buy him?

If Spurs can get him fit & firing, can anyone genuinely say they'd want rid of this player...?

He's not in the starting XI for me, and with a 3-4-3 that leaves one less MF place for him.

Next season? On the bench for PL, or starts in Europe. But if he's on the bench, is it really worth him staying or us keeping him?

He's got 8 PL goals in total, which for the amount of mins on the pitch and chances he's had, is poor.

Good at unlocking defences as the game wears on. He was the perfect sub for the 2-1 win at Citeh last season with a great assist for Eriksens winner. But last season was still a patchy one for him. For a while he was below Chadli in the pecking order, and that was when Chadli was on the bench.

The 2 areas I think are most important to strengthen are Rose/LWB, and Toby who is irreplaceable at the mo.

I know I'll be very unpopular, but I'd be OK with selling him, esp if were using funds for the above.

I think we took him off against Goons because he was about to get a red. He is reckless at times, esp when he gets frustrated. The penalty he conceded v LFC was completely avoidable.

We don't miss his goals because he doesn't score many. Just as we don't miss Dembele's goals.

What we miss is his pressing and his thru-balls, not even the wonderful Eriksen can match Lamela's thru-balls. (I can't find the stat now but I believe no single player in the Prem has played has many thru balls that have led to a goal, I hope I've got this right, sorry if not). This also came about in the 'big games" where he always turned up (think Woolwich, City, Manure) carrying he ball towards goal then releasing a delightful pass threaded through the oppo defence. Anyone who wants to read more on this I recommend this by Michael Cox as an excellent read: Michael Cox: How Erik Lamela perfectly demonstrated his big improvements at Stoke

Final thought, dare I say it, I think he is a better deaball taker than Eriksen. Have we scored from a corner this year?? If we have it's very few. We've gone from the team that scores the most from corners to hardly scoring or not scoring form one.

Last edited:
Despite the apparent pre-occupation with goal scoring, as a 90min performer, he's still the 2nd most creative player in our squad, presses as good/better than anyone and has a fire indicates total commitment.

Goals: He had a better season last year and looked to be improving that aspect of his PL game.... Never had a problem scoring in other comps but that seems to be ignored by some. Besides let's not pretend Eriksen's goal scoring and set piece delivery doesn't, cyclically, notably fluctuate.

Sell Lamela and we lose a proven quality starter and a level of bench player that we cannot otherwise afford to sign/pay.

...30m for Sissoko should serve as a poignant warning of this and I'd rather keep him than end up with Barkley, Zaha and the likes of EPL 'proven' we are being linked with.

p.s. This talk of him being a liability is crap too. He just plays on the edge and is no more of a liability then Dele..... Should we sell him off for a token fee too?

Just maybe he injured the labrum in his hip.

I don't hear a lot about hip labrum injuries but I know shoulder labrum injuries can be all but career ending for baseball players, quarterbacks or any athlete who has to throw with any velocity. I would assume a hip labrum injury would be quite difficult to recover from in season for a high energy footballer like Lamela without extended rest and/or surgery.

Back
Top Bottom