Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And that could apply to Rose
Rose went to the media - Toby has done none of that. But haters have used some Twitter gossip to construct an alternative universe in which Toby refused 180k/week, refused to train and play and derailed our season as a result (eventhough he's now also turned very shit and we're fine without him but he still derailed it somewhat)

Its ok everyone, Lamela who was out for a year has been used as a sub, and so has Moura who was signed in January. So that means they will always be benchwarmers.

And even though "anyone who would drop Son is a fool", lets skip this issue, as its awkward regarding Poch

Its ok everyone, Lamela who was out for a year has been used as a sub, and so has Moura who was signed in January. So that means they will always be benchwarmers.

And even though "anyone who would drop Son is a fool", lets skip this issue, as its awkward regarding Poch
Let's try one more time - in what formation are all 3 of Son, Lamela and Moura featured?

That makes all of Son, Lamela and Lucas benchwarmers though....a bit odd for a team that "desperately" needed a tricky winger just 12 weeks ago...

A bit harsh just to play someone who wants out

I think they're all good options to have available to come off the bench - we saw how valuable that can be in a cup semi final...

(Last year, with Hazard and Diego Costa coming off the bench)

I think they're all good options to have available to come off the bench - we saw how valuable that can be in a cup semi final...

(Last year, with Hazard and Diego Costa coming off the bench)

Absolutely, but in my view Toby shouldnt be walking straight back into this side. I actually prefer the front four we´ve been using in his absence, which means Son deservedly should keep his place and gives us more scope to integrate Moura and use Lamela.

Toby needs to earn his place from Sanchez in a back four, and I dont see how he did that v Brighton.

Absolutely, but in my view Toby shouldnt be walking straight back into this side. I actually prefer the front four we´ve been using in his absence, which means Son deservedly should keep his place and gives us more scope to integrate Moura and use Lamela.

Toby needs to earn his place from Sanchez in a back four, and I dont see how he did that v Brighton.

I see what you mean, but I personally wouldn't consider Toby being in the starting 11 come Saturday "walking back straight into the side"...he's not made the last 3 or 4 match-day squads, came in against Brighton and in my opinion looked great.

I just the feeling we'll need to throw a curve ball this Saturday in order to beat United. Whether that's a different formation/tactic etc. You just know Mourinho will be obsessively watching the loss to us the other month in order to find a way to stop us playing.

I see what you mean, but I personally wouldn't consider Toby being in the starting 11 come Saturday "walking back straight into the side"...he's not made the last 3 or 4 match-day squads, came in against Brighton and in my opinion looked great.

I just the feeling we'll need to throw a curve ball this Saturday in order to beat United. Whether that's a different formation/tactic etc. You just know Mourinho will be obsessively watching the loss to us the other month in order to find a way to stop us playing.

If Eriksen, Dele, and Kane turn up is the real question for me. Im happy to rely on the likes of Jan and Sanchez at the back, with whatever fullback pairing he picks, preferably Trippier and Davies. Dembele and Dier I have no concerns about either.

If the front four (should we play a front four) do what they can, I dont see what makes Toby key to this game.
He wasnt there when we played them off the pitch last time either.

If we revert to a bvack three, then its on the full backs.

If Eriksen, Dele, and Kane turn up is the real question for me. Im happy to rely on the likes of Jan and Sanchez at the back, with whatever fullback pairing he picks, preferably Trippier and Davies. Dembele and Dier I have no concerns about either.

If the front four (should we play a front four) do what they can, I dont see what makes Toby key to this game.
He wasnt there when we played them off the pitch last time either.

If we revert to a bvack three, then its on the full backs.

Yep, tend to agree with the last bit...

It was my thinking that bringing Toby back into the fold with a back 3 gives us more cover defensively, as I think Trippier is going to struggle, especially getting forward, with Martial / Rashford playing high and wide on United's left.

Although, I do get the feeling we're going to go 4-2-3-1 and take the game to United.

Last edited:
Rose went to the media - Toby has done none of that. But haters have used some Twitter gossip to construct an alternative universe in which Toby refused 180k/week, refused to train and play and derailed our season as a result (eventhough he's now also turned very shit and we're fine without him but he still derailed it somewhat)

Yes he did and was extremely badly advised to do so but I meant the “nothing personal” approach from Poch for both players

So was Lamela injured for a year or benched as you’ve accused Toby of being benched when he was, in fact, injured
Then he recovered but suffered a further setback

I’m not basing my opinion on whether he should be selected for Saturdays game on the Brighton game but on the fact that he is a vastly more experienced player than Sanchez (who I like) and we need him against Lukaku
Lukaku won’t bully Toby like he will Sanchez

That’s why Toby is key to this game

So was Lamela injured for a year or benched as you’ve accused Toby of being benched when he was, in fact, injured

Toby played for Belgium.......did Lamela play for Argentina in the time he was said to still be injured?

Then he recovered but suffered a further setback
Thats been made up today to suit an argument because the person who made it up cant bring themselves to criticise Poch for dumping Toby from the squad.
Again, he played a game for Belgium. There was no set back between the time he was declared fit and played the two FA Cup games, up to the Brighton game.

“I feel good. I feel fit. I’m strong. I feel ready to give 100 per cent again, like I always do. I worked very hard to come back to the training group as quickly as possible. Not one thing in my head is doubting about the injury."
”Now it’s up to me to prove that I’m ready again to the manager. It’s always up to the manager (if I play). I’m looking forward to give my all on the pitch.”

Toby on Jan 23

He then didnt play until Feb 7 against Newport, then Feb 18 against Rochdale

His next game for us was this wk end gone, nearly two months to the day.

He did however play for Belgium on March 27th, slap bang in the middle of the period he was dropped for Spurs.
So when was this recurrence of the injury? Between Feb 18-March 27? Or March 27-April 17 (Brighton).

If the latter, its pretty weird he made fitness, and got himself picked in three weeks.

And if the former, he did well to convince his International manager there was no fitness issue, as stated by Martinez, and get himself picked to play.

Pochettino said on Feb 12 he couldnt face Juve as it was too early.

Thats over 2 months ago. Since then there has not been a single article or mention of Toby being out of the squad due to a second injury. He had a set back in December, way before he was ever declared fit.

Its incredible that people are making up fake news, as if it cant simply all be proven as bullshit by a simple google search of the actual facts.

Toby played for Belgium.......did Lamela play for Argentina in the time he was said to still be injured?

Thats been made up today to suit an argument because the person who made it up cant bring themselves to criticise Poch for dumping Toby from the squad.
Again, he played a game for Belgium. There was no set back between the time he was declared fit and played the two FA Cup games, up to the Brighton game.

“I feel good. I feel fit. I’m strong. I feel ready to give 100 per cent again, like I always do. I worked very hard to come back to the training group as quickly as possible. Not one thing in my head is doubting about the injury."
”Now it’s up to me to prove that I’m ready again to the manager. It’s always up to the manager (if I play). I’m looking forward to give my all on the pitch.”

Toby on Jan 23

He then didnt play until Feb 7 against Newport, then Feb 18 against Rochdale

His next game for us was this wk end gone, nearly two months to the day.

He did however play for Belgium on March 27th, slap bang in the middle of the period he was dropped for Spurs.
So when was this recurrence of the injury? Between Feb 18-March 27? Or March 27-April 17 (Brighton).

If the latter, its pretty weird he made fitness, and got himself picked in three weeks.

And if the former, he did well to convince his International manager there was no fitness issue, as stated by Martinez, and get himself picked to play.

Pochettino said on Feb 12 he couldnt face Juve as it was too early.

Thats over 2 months ago. Since then there has not been a single article or mention of Toby being out of the squad due to a second injury. He had a set back in December, way before he was ever declared fit.

Its incredible that people are making up fake news, as if it cant simply all be proven as bullshit by a simple google search of the actual facts.

There is fake news everywhere

I’ve just had a quick look and apparently Toby is either going to PSG, ManUre, Chavs or back to Atletico
£40 million mentioned

Truth is, like his injury problems, no fucker knows

Yes he played for Belgium recently
So what

Main point is surely that he’s fit now and, if so, should play on Saturday alongside Verts
If it’s a three at the back with Sanchez or a four with Davies and Tripps I don’t know
But as I said earlier we need him to combat Lukaku who is our main concern imv

What does Walker have to do with any of this?

LOL
You were digging me out for saying Walker was dropped for Trippier last year and Trips had become 1st RB, saying it was only because of the contract situation and Walker was still viewed as 1st RB. But when the same situation has arisen with Toby/Sanchez suddenly it's not.

LOL indeed.

You are so flimsy.

Walker didn't want more money

200.gif

Back
Top Bottom