Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, last night must have been awkward for a few on here. Especially after the fact he was one of the best players on the pitch. Hope he features on Saturday and for the rest of the season helping us consolidate Top 4. And hope we keep him in the summer if possible
They must be seething at poch after posting we don't want money grabbing mercenaries wearing our shirt. I agree, we are better with him so I hope we play him until the end of the season & then manage to convince him to stay.

I think it's time to move on, he is a greedy twat!!! He earns nearly double the average yearly UK wage in one week, if true the new contract would have been nearly four times the average yearly wage in a week. He earns more in a year than most of us will earn in a lifetime, football is different to nearly every other job in the world. A shop assistant in Tesco doesn't get 50000 people watching them every week cheering their name. That's why football is more than just money, we are better off without mercenaries.

Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur Highlights

Think Toby was all over the shop leading up to the penalty personally, got completely roasted
I wouldn't say he was roasted. He was certainly part to blame. He was playing Murray onside, all our defenders are in a perfect line apart from him who was about 7yds off the back line. This invited Murray to head towards him, as any experienced striker would do. The ball was then played to Murray who held it up well, and was able to turn and pass to the fella that Aurier was marking. When I watch it back, Aurier actually tracks the run, which at this point you have to applaud the run of the Brighton player, very intelligent run. I also think Wanyama should have dropped into the pocket that the runner ran into, Wanyama was very static, I would bet my house on Dier dropping in that space.

I still can't get made at Aurier for the pen, I've seen so many of these given so not complaining that it was, but as a defender the attacker can slow down/stop his run and the chasing defender will then touch him and he still goes down under the contact. (Lamela's pen against the dippers, Plopps first game, was exactly the same).

Anyway that's my take. I certainly don't get the take that he was one of our better players on the night, in the first half he barely touched the ball and in the 2nd whilst more involved, none of our defenders had that much to do.

I hope that Toby plays on Saturday and for the rest of the season
His partnership with Verts is excellent

Then he signs a new contract

I haven’t seen any proof anywhere about him turning down £130 k let alone wanting £180k

All ifs and maybes

It’s funny how so many people want Sanchez dropped all of a sudden because Toby did ok against Brighton (a team who had 11 men behind the ball)

Or will we revert to a back three and three up top? So Son, Lamela and Lucas all benchwarming.

Nah

When the only defence of Toby (30, with 4 years in the PL and La Liga experience) getting roasted against Brighton, is to slate Sanchez (21 with 7 months PL experience) for struggling against Man City.

:harrysmile:

I think it's time to move on, he is a greedy twat!!! He earns nearly double the average yearly UK wage in one week, if true the new contract would have been nearly four times the average yearly wage in a week. He earns more in a year than most of us will earn in a lifetime, football is different to nearly every other job in the world. A shop assistant in Tesco doesn't get 50000 people watching them every week cheering their name. That's why football is more than just money, we are better off without mercenaries.
Will you say the same when kane wants more? I think suddenly these things won't apply like they don't for levy & players who get the raise/bonus they wanted. We pick & choose who should be happy with what their on. & some are greedy twats for asking for more & others aren't.

Last edited:

Apples and oranges pal. If you're going to make a point about football earnings in the EPL, there's no point bringing in the average U.K. wage into it. Do you honestly think that Toby has a quick scan of Indeed.co.uk to see what the current hourly wage of a forklift operator is, just before he walks into a meeting with Levy and his agent ffs?

A footballer at the top of his game, will want to earn what his contemporaries are earning. He will also want to increase his chances of picking up medals along the way. Don't get me wrong - I love a player who really plays for the shirt - but if someone leaves because they can double their wage, and win a domestic title/champions league in the first couple of seasons - why would they stay?

Apples and oranges pal. If you're going to make a point about football earnings in the EPL, there's no point bringing in the average U.K. wage into it. Do you honestly think that Toby has a quick scan of Indeed.co.uk to see what the current hourly wage of a forklift operator is, just before he walks into a meeting with Levy and his agent ffs?

A footballer at the top of his game, will want to earn what his contemporaries are earning. He will also want to increase his chances of picking up medals along the way. Don't get me wrong - I love a player who really plays for the shirt - but if someone leaves because they can double their wage, and win a domestic title/champions league in the first couple of seasons - why would they stay?
Agreed. Its silly to even bring in the what the average person earns argument. He will also be seeing walker getting more £££ & already winning a title & cup medal. So what the average person earns will have no bearing.

I hope that Toby plays on Saturday and for the rest of the season
His partnership with Verts is excellent

Then he signs a new contract

I haven’t seen any proof anywhere about him turning down £130 k let alone wanting £180k

All ifs and maybes

I just think back to when details of his contract were leaked along with the buyout clause if we took the option to extend..... thats proof enough for me.

Will you say the same when kane wants more? I think suddenly these things won't apply like they don't for levy & players who get the raise/bonus they wanted. We pick & choose who should be happy with what their on. & some are greedy twats for asking for more & others aren't.

Will you dissapear again when we go three months unbeaten using the same squad you said wasnt good enough and without going into debt?
And then come back after one defeat and a draw to crow on about the poor running of the club?

Probably

I just think back to when details of his contract were leaked along with the buyout clause if we took the option to extend..... thats proof enough for me.

Poch gives Sanchez a rest for the semi final after dropping Toby from the squad for a good three months, and people take that as a sign that there has been no problems behind the scenes.

So why arent they slating for Poch if Toby is so important? Surely to them, that must be bad management.

Back
Top Bottom