Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When the only defence of Toby (30, with 4 years in the PL and La Liga experience) getting roasted against Brighton, is to slate Sanchez (21 with 7 months PL experience) for struggling against Man City.

:harrysmile:
Well now you've answered your own question on who should start on Saturday - the more experienced and proven CB. Oh wait, that also proves your whole argument invalid?

Its a damage limitation excercise some do.....

"Toby is important and should play every game"
:tobyarm:

"But Poch wont play him"
:walkercry:

"I can never, ever, say something bad about Poch, so cant criticise the decision to ostracise him the squad for the last three months"
:kanehand:

"So I will deny all Pochs quotes, and the all the reports, and make up a new fake story that Toby wasnt dropped, he was injured again, despite no reports ANYWHERE about this, and the fact he played for Belgium a month ago"
:goonermong:

Last edited:
"So I will deny all Pochs quotes, and the all the reports, and make up a new fake story that Toby wasnt dropped,
Which quote are those?

Post one Poch quote where he says Toby has been dropped because of his contract. Poch only ever said he's not match fit due to prolonged absence.

Poch just made you and a few others look a right tit on Tuesday

"My decision is always about football. It is not personal and not because of a contract problem. I don't care about that. Always my decision is about what is best for the team and the best for the club."

Poch:

"Hello SkySports, Ive dropped Toby because he wont sign a contract"
So now Poch is a liar?

If he did drop him - why did he play on Tuesday? Wasn't he being protected for this amazing Barca / PSG mega move? Or Toby refusing to play?

Where are the quotes? Post them

Last edited:
"I am so sorry because Toby was an important player for us in the last two seasons," Pochettino said. "Then he got the injury and players like Davinson and (Jan) Vertonghen stepped up, and you have got to deserve to play.

"If we are happy with the players who are playing, you need to wait. That does not mean he is not going to play again. But now he needs to keep pushing and try to show me he can play better than the others.

"The most important thing is no personal problems. It is always about performance, who is the best out there. But in the end, I understand that it is a big business rumours that try to create confusion."

Well, that's awkward

Pochettino spoke of a meeting ahead of the aforementioned campaign for which Walker arrived late.

"Walker came into the room late," he said. "Not good. Something clicked in my head at that moment." He went on to add that "seeing Walker turn up late to the talk was the trigger I needed to tear into them (the players)."
"Walker came to my office after the Watford game," it's noted. "'Gaffer, I've been at Tottenham for nine years. I've thought about it and my heart isn't here any more. Nor is my head. I've given all I have to give. I wanted to tell you before I tell my agent that I want to leave this summer.'"

Pochettino added that he felt as though Walker had shown "an alarming lack of respect for his team-mates and a slap in the face for the club" by asking for a move while the team was competing with Chelsea for top spot.

#neverpersonal

Its ok everyone, Walker was only dropped because Trippier outplayed him

Pochettino spoke of a meeting ahead of the aforementioned campaign for which Walker arrived late.

"Walker came into the room late," he said. "Not good. Something clicked in my head at that moment." He went on to add that "seeing Walker turn up late to the talk was the trigger I needed to tear into them (the players)."
"Walker came to my office after the Watford game," it's noted. "'Gaffer, I've been at Tottenham for nine years. I've thought about it and my heart isn't here any more. Nor is my head. I've given all I have to give. I wanted to tell you before I tell my agent that I want to leave this summer.'"

Pochettino added that he felt as though Walker had shown "an alarming lack of respect for his team-mates and a slap in the face for the club" by asking for a move while the team was competing with Chelsea for top spot.

#neverpersonal

Its ok everyone, Walker was only dropped because Trippier outplayed him
What does Walker have to do with any of this?

LOL

"I am so sorry because Toby was an important player for us in the last two seasons," Pochettino said. "Then he got the injury and players like Davinson and (Jan) Vertonghen stepped up, and you have got to deserve to play.

"If we are happy with the players who are playing, you need to wait. That does not mean he is not going to play again. But now he needs to keep pushing and try to show me he can play better than the others.

"The most important thing is no personal problems. It is always about performance, who is the best out there. But in the end, I understand that it is a big business rumours that try to create confusion."

Well, that's awkward

Jesus.

What do you want him to say? 'He's a tit head who's playing up, so I've fucked him off out of it?'

He played Walker against West Ham at the same stage of the season last year and there were people carrying on like Walker would stay because if it.

Whether you want him to stay or not, you need your head checked if you actually believe he WILL stay.

I just think back to when details of his contract were leaked along with the buyout clause if we took the option to extend..... thats proof enough for me.

Really??

All cut and dried then

Toby was offered £130k a week
Turned it down
Wants £180k a week

All because details of his contract were leaked

:avbhumph:

Which quote are those?

Post one Poch quote where he says Toby has been dropped because of his contract. Poch only ever said he's not match fit due to prolonged absence.

Poch just made you and a few others look a right tit on Tuesday

"My decision is always about football. It is not personal and not because of a contract problem. I don't care about that. Always my decision is about what is best for the team and the best for the club."

And that could apply to Rose

Jesus.

What do you want him to say? 'He's a tit head who's playing up, so I've fucked him off out of it?'

He played Walker against West Ham at the same stage of the season last year and there were people carrying on like Walker would stay because if it.

Whether you want him to stay or not, you need your head checked if you actually believe he WILL stay.

Yes but whats Walker got to do with this....you know, an almost identical situation, although Walker had just signed a five year contract, while Toby has refused a new one.
Whats Walker got to do with THIS...because Poch said its never personal, and the walker quotes prove that it very much was.....so lets dismiss Walker altogether, as it goes against the flow...

And as you point out, Poch didnt slag off Toby in front of the whole world just after picking him to play (in order to rest Sanchez), so that means the contract rumours are false.

I'd play all 3 of them

Toby - Sanchez - Vertonghen

Need all the experience we can get in this game - Toby looked fit and motivated against Brighton, let's not shoot ourselves in the foot...

That makes all of Son, Lamela and Lucas benchwarmers though....a bit odd for a team that "desperately" needed a tricky winger just 12 weeks ago...

A bit harsh just to play someone who wants out

Jesus.

I never said Toby would stay (said I hope he does) - but Sammytroll made reference to Poch's quotes about him refusing to play and wanting 180k/week instead - I'm still waiting for those.

That makes all of Son, Lamela and Lucas benchwarmers though....a bit odd for a team that "desperately" needed a tricky winger just 12 weeks ago...

A bit harsh just to play someone who wants out
Lamela has been a bench warmer all season and so has Moura in the PL - try again

In what formation are all 3 of Lamela, Son and Moura starting?

Yes but whats Walker got to do with this....you know, an almost identical situation, although Walker had just signed a five year contract, while Toby has refused a new one.
Whats Walker got to do with THIS...because Poch said its never personal, and the walker quotes prove that it very much was.....so lets dismiss Walker altogether, as it goes against the flow...

And as you point out, Poch didnt slag off Toby in front of the whole world just after picking him to play (in order to rest Sanchez), so that means the contract rumours are false.
Walker didn't want more money - wanted a new challenge and to win stuff (which he has btw) - completely unrelated

I'm still waiting for those Poch quotes?

Back
Top Bottom