THE MIGHTY SPURS VS WBA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Title was lost a month ago at West Ham and Woolwich then Liverpool. This is academic.
we left ourselves way too much to do. even if we had won today.
we never really got that close to Leicester or put any real pressure on them.

2nd will be amazing. it will be still tough to get. Chelsea away will be tough & saints are much better than WBA.
but I am confident of us sealing the runners up spot.
Just need to regroup & not get too down about it all.
In our heads we are all making out we were a lot closer to winning the title.

its a strange one. we will probably almost always finish ahead of Leicester for the rest of our lives.
but they will have experienced winning a title. whereas we most likely won't ever know what its like.
common sense tells you its much better to be in our position rather than a 1 season wonder.

BEST team & season in my lifetime so far.
We have a very likable group with a bright future.

Last edited:
Youngest team in the Prem with some of the hottest property in Europe , most impressive to watch . Incredible togetherness/ Harmony among the players , staff & fans , Young superb manager, new stadium on its way & possibly Champions League football....

Yup there's plenty to laugh at about Spurs .. :myword:

Very proud of them all

Youngest team in the Prem with some of the hottest property in Europe , most impressive to watch . Incredible togetherness/ Harmony among the players , staff & fans , Young superb manager, new stadium on its way & possibly Champions League football....
Yup there's plenty to laugh at about Spurs .. :myword:

Very proud of them all

Spot on.

I wouldn't swap what we've got with any other club.

All the likes of Chelsea have is the hope of chucking bucket loads of dirty money to have another shot at the title.
We will once again try to do it with young talent who came through the academy and cost next to nothing..

5 English players in the national side, how many did Woolwich and Chelsea have?
4 players in team of the year, how many did Woolwich and Chelsea have.?

Look at how much those two have spent recently and yet they both seem to think they can laugh at us for finishing potentially 2nd..

It just shows how much of a threat we are to them.. We've overtaken both of them and they can't stand it..

It's beautiful..

Morning all

Quick question - what's this I'm hearing about Alli? I didn't get home till gone midnight last night so not seen any TV or read anything yet (and didn't fancy listening to the radio on the way home either). Is he bang to rights? Is it likely to be a 1 or 3 game ban if any?

Also how was Dier? I was assuming it was a head clash, he looked dazed like a concussion, was that the case?

Also, just on a positive note, anyone here who thought we could win the league whilst drawing at Chelsea should not change their opinion, this result only means that we have to beat Chelsea instead. 4 points is 4 points. If we could do this with 10 points from the last 4 it doesn't make the blindest bit of difference what order we got those last 10.

We're now looking at a Man Utd win and us beating Chelsea, then we're back to 4... stranger things have happened, and this result might just make them complacent. If it happens they might then draw at home to Everton (anyone who thinks that unlikely just look at our game last night to show there's no such thing as a home banker).

There's still a chance in there, it's just a fair bit slimmer than it was 24 hours ago.

The problem for me is that this is just typical Spurs, not new Tottenham, but Typical "let's allow the world to laugh at us again" Tottenham. It's West Brom @ home and we come up short in the one of the biggest games we have had, there is simply no comfort.

Then realise that we are not guaranteed Champions league, we are not safe from the scum and we have Chelsea next without Dier & likely Ali.....all of a sudden a clogger like Craig fucking Dawson has spun everything on its head. I am less fucked off about the league than I am looking down and realising that "holy shit" this could still go badly badly wrong, when it should have been over ! Got to get 4 points from 9, but anyone see an issue with winning at Chelsea or away to a revitalized and desperate Newcastle, or which team would love to stick it to Poch most ? Oh ok play them at Home !

As for why we came up short. Well to be fair, 1 striker is likely to be the short answer, so many draws suggests a lack of cutting edge, despite stats.
Love the passion and tend to agree (the morning after the night before). But we must not lose focus and march on. We must not fall short in the last three games because this form will carry over for next season, its not just about now?

we never really got that close to Leicester or put any real pressure on them.

2nd will be amazing. it will be still tough to get. Chelsea away will be tough & saints are much better than WBA.
but I am confident of us sealing the runners up spot.
Just need to regroup & not get too down about it all.
In our heads we are all making out we were a lot closer to winning the title.

its a strange one. we will probably almost always finish ahead of Leicester for the rest of our lives.
but they will have experienced winning a title. whereas we most likely won't ever know what its like.
common sense tells you its much better to be in our position rather than a 1 season wonder.

Beat team & season in my lifetime so far.
We have a very likable group with a bright future.

Couldn't agree more.

I've had my run ins with you, and felt you've been too negative. So big thumps up for this very good post on a night with a terrible result. Credit where it's due and all that. Especially with all the talk, which I'm as guilty of as anyone, of negative posters only coming around to moan when things go south, it's good to see you prove it wrong. :adethumbup:

Really gutted. But you have to hold your hands up and say Leicester have done fucking well. They never lose or draw (apart from WH when they were down to 10 men). In the last few months, we have drawn with the Scum and WBA and lost to WH.

There are some dreadful 'fans' on here.
This doesn't help? Im sorry if I'm stating the obvious at you?
We cant all just say how well we have done or doing (although I try) and keep jolly. Football is passion, emotion, excitement,disappointing, joyful and very much opinionated and no matter what is said its someone opinion. Some are odd and way off the mark, thats football, always has been and always will be.

Agree-However, when it was feasible to win the PL-we had hope and that felt good being part of it. Now that hope has gone and reality has landed-we seem to scraping for a CL place even though we are second and five points ahead? Strange how the mood can change and the concept of our position.

There was a moment around 40 minutes where WBA suddenly had a little bit of encouragement. On 55 minutes I said to my mate that they fancied this and we've become nervy. I didn't expect that to be how the second half would remain but it did.

It isn't a criticism, we just appeared to hit a wall after a staggeringly good opening half hour where we could have been three to the good.

It's disappointing but not all encompassing. We'll be better for this, I really believe that.

Word for the support last night; excellent.

The problem for me is that this is just typical Spurs, not new Tottenham, but Typical "let's allow the world to laugh at us again" Tottenham. It's West Brom @ home and we come up short in the one of the biggest games we have had, there is simply no comfort.

Then realise that we are not guaranteed Champions league, we are not safe from the scum and we have Chelsea next without Dier & likely Ali.....all of a sudden a clogger like Craig fucking Dawson has spun everything on its head. I am less fucked off about the league than I am looking down and realising that "holy shit" this could still go badly badly wrong, when it should have been over ! Got to get 4 points from 9, but anyone see an issue with winning at Chelsea or away to a revitalized and desperate Newcastle, or which team would love to stick it to Poch most ? Oh ok play them at Home !

As for why we came up short. Well to be fair, 1 striker is likely to be the short answer, so many draws suggests a lack of cutting edge, despite stats.

We've got a bigger chance of winning the title than we have of missing out of CL at this stage. We'd basically have to lose our last three matches for it to go that wrong. We've lost 4 in 35 this season, and you're freaking out over the prospect of losing three on the trot after a draw. Get a fucking grip :dembele:

And will people let the 1 striker thing go already. Poch has proven on several counts that he has a higher football IQ than everyone on here combined. He got Toby, Dier, Dembele, Lamela, Alli and squad spirit right this season, but his judgement on whether to - desperately - sign a striker was wrong :pochserious2:

Agree-However, when it was feasible to win the PL-we had hope and that felt good being part of it. Now that hope has gone and reality has landed-we seem to scraping for a CL place even though we are second and five points ahead? Strange how the mood can change and the concept of our position.
true. that's football for you. it will be tough mentally on the players.
rather than looking up & fighting for the title, you are suddenly looking behind you & trying to just consolidate
where you are.
it will be a good learning experience for them all.

shouldn't look too far ahead, but with 3 games to go,

1 win seals top 4.
1 win & a draw seals 3rd & a finish above Woolwich. only city can then stop us from 2nd if they make up some goal difference.

can someone clear something up. what is the ruling with if Liverpool or man city win the European cups they are in. & if they both win it?
I have heard people say it means different things.

I am probably being greedy, but it be really nice if Woolwich get 4th & miss out because of this ruling.

Couldn't agree more.

I've had my run ins with you, and felt you've been too negative. So big thumps up for this very good post on a night with a terrible result. Credit where it's due and all that. Especially with all the talk, which I'm as guilty of as anyone, of negative posters only coming around to moan when things go south, it's good to see you prove it wrong. :adethumbup:
thanks. I wont have to brick your windows now. kidding of course.

I come across worse because when we do win well like against stoke.
I am delighted. But I feel nothing really needs to be said that hasn't already been said on here 100 times.
I would just be another poster typing "great performance, how good is alli" etc.

so instead I just click agree on people who say similar stuff. which will go unnoticed.

so it will seem I just come on here to moan more when we play badly.

anyway, back to spurs & the fight for 2nd!
which will be our highest finish in many many years (too lazy to look it up).

It was an annoying match, we could have scored 3-4 until they started closing us in. Park lane/shelf were brilliant yesterday, also nice scenes with the Alli song in the bricklayers.

Onward and upward! Next season is gonna be even better

true. that's football for you. it will be tough mentally on the players.
rather than looking up & fighting for the title, you are suddenly looking behind you & trying to just consolidate
where you are.
it will be a good learning experience for them all.

shouldn't look too far ahead, but with 3 games to go,

1 win seals top 4.
1 win & a draw seals 3rd & a finish above Woolwich. only city can then stop us from 2nd if they make up some goal difference.

can someone clear something up. what is the ruling with if Liverpool or man city win the European cups they are in. & if they both win it?

I am probably being greedy, but it be really nice if Woolwich get 4th & miss out because of this ruling.
Liverpool or City winning = automatic spot in group stages. 4th goes into Europa league group. 3rd gets play off position and 1/2 group stages.

We've got a bigger chance of winning the title than we have of missing out of CL at this stage. We'd basically have to lose our last three matches for it to go that wrong. We've lost 4 in 35 this season, and you're freaking out over the prospect of losing three on the trot after a draw. Get a fucking grip :dembele:

And will people let the 1 striker thing go already. Poch has proven on several counts that he has a higher football IQ than everyone on here combined. He got Toby, Dier, Dembele, Lamela, Alli and squad spirit right this season, but his judgement on whether to - desperately - sign a striker was wrong :pochserious2:
that is true. but if kane had got injured then I think we would have been in trouble.
fortunately he didn't & we got away with it. but we should bring in another 1 in the summer.

but you are right in that it probably wouldn't have made that much difference this season if we had got another striker in.
it was irrelevant as kane stayed fit.

I accept your point. My worry does read as dramatic. Quite correct. However, with the Liverpool possibility there 4th might not yet be enough. And a desperate Newcastle at St James or a fired up Chelsea are tough. Granted City v Woolwich will likely protect us from 4th Spot, provided we do beat Southampton, but 2nd goes if City win all 3 and we don't get 2 wins and that feels awful.

I'm pretty certain it's only an issue if they both win AND both finish outside the top 4. So for Woolwich to miss out Man Utd would have to overtake both Woolwich & City, City finishing 5th behind 4th Woolwich, then Liverpool & City both win their respective cups.

It's a real long shot.

Back
Top Bottom