New Manager Poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your pick as new manager?

• Laudrup

Votes: 33 13.1%
  • Klinsmann

Votes: 21 8.4%
  • Capello

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Hoddle

Votes: 23 9.2%
  • Redknapp

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Sherwood/Freund combo

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Another PL manager

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 49 19.5%
  • Anyone else

Votes: 58 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Actually, Frank de Boer has confirmed that Tottenham has contacted his representative and that he is not interested.

Ajax had a cup match this evening, and in the interview afterwards he confirmed this. He said he's honored to be approached, but that he let his rep know he's not interested. At the moment there are only dutch sources for this

Call me deluded, overly-optimistic, clutching at straws etc. but I'm just not taking any of this as the gospel.

Maybe I am just doing it out of sheer hope, but I'm just not convinced that he's "Ruled us out" or he's "Out of the question" as some people are suggesting.

They know more than any of us about football, anyway.
Of course they do. They would never sack a manager two days before a QF game against We
cXmaaEL.png
Ham, right?

Actually, Frank de Boer has confirmed that Tottenham has contacted his representative and that he is not interested.

Ajax had a cup match this evening, and in the interview afterwards he confirmed this. He said he's honored to be approached, but that he let his rep know he's not interested. At the moment there are only dutch sources for this

Well the quotes that I found were, ''If there is interest from Spurs, I am very honoured,” the 43-year-old told Fox Sports. “But I have my full attention at Ajax.” There was no mention of him saying he wasn't interested, or that he told his rep he wasn't interested.

In fact, I would take what he said as this, 'I am interested in the Tottenham job. But I will concentrate on Ajax...for now.'' Typical, cliche, vague media-talk. Looking good folks.

Well the quotes that I found were, ''If there is interest from Spurs, I am very honoured,” the 43-year-old told Fox Sports. “But I have my full attention at Ajax.” There was no mention of him saying he wasn't interested, or that he told his rep he wasn't interested.

In fact, I would take what he said as this, 'I am interested in the Tottenham job. But I will concentrate on Ajax...for now.'' Typical, cliche, vague media-talk. Looking good folks.

Until he said 'I just focus on Ajax. I've said it before: If Ajax still enjoy having me and I still enjoy being at Ajax, there's no reason to leave'...

Lets hope and pray thats right, the odds shortening on oddschecker but who knows....

Great use of Walnuts on the pic by the way +1

See for example http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/ajax/22156242/__De_Boer___Spurs_afgezegd___.html , http://www.nu.nl/sport/3658836/boer-ziet-overgang-tottenham-hotspur-niet-zitten.html , http://www.at5.nl/artikelen/118112/de-boer-slaat-aanbod-tottenham-hotspur-af (dutch sources!)

From the first source, I would translate it as this:
"At the moment, Spurs isn't a club that can make me doubt [my employment at Ajax]. I do think it's a nice club. Just like Liverpool was, when they approached me last summer. But I'm very content at Ajax and I'm not done yet."

He confirmed that Tottenham Hotspur approached his representative, and said the following about that: "He [his rep] knows how I think about this, but he gave me a call anyway."

Until he said 'I just focus on Ajax. I've said it before: If Ajax still enjoy having me and I still enjoy being at Ajax, there's no reason to leave'...

I said it earlier in the day, Bergkamp is the key here, has been the assistant for 2 years under Frank and highly thought of, if he can do the Ajax job there may be a deal there where Bergkamp stays, and knowing our luck he will be the one with the brains and De Boer will be useless!!! No I think seriously that could be the angle here

He's still not explicitly stating his position. Until he says, 'I'm not interested', then I believe we're in with a shot. Managers/footballers talk like this ALL THE TIME when when they are linked with a move. Keeps both parties happy. It means if the move falls through they can continue on as if they always wanted to be there. It's all a front for the cameras.

I think he wants to come. But that's just me.

If he's already turned down Liverpool (last summer) I wouldn't be convinced that he's interested in a move at all. It's mid-season as well and they're doing well, absolutely cannot see him leaving.

And even then, he's done quite well with a team that is head-and-shoulders above everyone else in their league but has no experience elsewhere, what makes people think he's going to be such a success?

I've been trawling the Saints boards, they seem very much behind Pochettino even with a few caveats (that he has the perfect set up in all fairness, spent nearly 40m over the summer, plays more direct than Adkins etc). If we can't get FdB or the likes of Favre right now, then we could do worse than throw some money his way - he knows this league by now, he had an instantaneous impact at Southampton (so good translator of ideas?), and philosophically he and AVB share more than a little of the same DNA, in theory at least (full court press, 'vertical' football, spending most of the time in the opposition half etc). I have no idea of his man management ability and we have some serious confidence issues to work through, but he did replace a popular manager in Adkins and seems to have gotten the players on side quickly even with the language barrier.

I don't see much difference between him and Martinez in terms of risk - both coming from lower sides with less pressure, both with clear and stubborn philosophies, and both with plenty of investment (Lukaku and Deulofeu would cost ridiculous money if not on loan). You can't predict who can make the step up in this league (look at Moyes right now), but I think it's a good sign that Saints are clearly coached and have shown the ability to play fast, fluid team football. He's not a super-glamorous Total Football name from Total Football league, but he's young and the fans believe he can go on to do great things, which is a rather different attitude than Everton fans when Moyes got promoted.

That said, I think Pochettino would have to be either idiotic or insane to leave Cortese and his cozy set-up at Saints. No expectations and remarkable amounts of money. If he wants to climb up in this league though, I don't think any other top 6/7 position will open up soon besides Man United - and they will want CL experience this time.

Some may see that as hopeful :p

God we have to be hopeful of De Boer as I can't even bear to think of him saying a plain "No" right now, funny enough we could be relying on Levy's lorded negotiation skills to get him...... Irony after Irony with us isnt it

If we dont get him, the list stinks, a week before Christmas what the fuck was he doing without having a replacement

I've been trawling the Saints boards, they seem very much behind Pochettino even with a few caveats (that he has the perfect set up in all fairness, spent nearly 40m over the summer, plays more direct than Adkins etc). If we can't get FdB or the likes of Favre right now, then we could do worse than throw some money his way - he knows this league by now, he had an instantaneous impact at Southampton (so good translator of ideas?), and philosophically he and AVB share more than a little of the same DNA, in theory at least (full court press, 'vertical' football, spending most of the time in the opposition half etc). I have no idea of his man management ability and we have some serious confidence issues to work through, but he did replace a popular manager in Adkins and seems to have gotten the players on side quickly even with the language barrier.

I don't see much difference between him and Martinez in terms of risk - both coming from lower sides with less pressure, both with clear and stubborn philosophies, and both with plenty of investment (Lukaku and Deulofeu would cost ridiculous money if not on loan). You can't predict who can make the step up in this league (look at Moyes right now), but I think it's a good sign that Saints are clearly coached and have shown the ability to play fast, fluid team football. He's not a super-glamorous Total Football name from Total Football league, but he's young and the fans believe he can go on to do great things, which is a rather different attitude than Everton fans when Moyes got promoted.

That said, I think Pochettino would have to be either idiotic or insane to leave Cortese and his cozy set-up at Saints. No expectations and remarkable amounts of money. If he wants to climb up in this league though, I don't think any other top 6/7 position will open up soon besides Man United - and they will want CL experience this time.

Do you work in Football/Sports Journalism? your posts are very detailed and informative - too much so for this collection of sad tales of woe

http://www.goal.com/en-my/news/3956...ajax-boss-de-boer-honoured-by-tottenham-links

And...

I don't think that's him ruling anything out. I think it's a very politically correct statement to make.
He's not going to do a Redknapp on it.

Back
Top Bottom