January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Only the silly ones. Sell this bloke keep Locelso...makes sense to me.

what should we call me jim carrey GIF

I don't believe he was promised first team football

And the 44-year-old, as cited by Sport, went on to highlight two key factors in Spurs beating his side to the punch – the lure of first-team football, and a superior economic offer.

“Bergvall to Tottenham? It’s the market,” Xavi began. “It’s the economic issue. The 16-year-old players want to go directly to the first team.”

“We made an offer, but that’s the law of the market. A club offered more and we considered that we should not offer more.”

Based on the media releases it looks like we have offered him a spot in the first team squad and the chance to earn minutes. No chance Ange would ever guarantee any player minutes. Not even Maddison was given that. He was told the role that Ange wanted him to perform and then he had to put in the work like everyone else to get on the pitch and do it.

Looking at the kid physically then listening to the confidence in his interviews, he comes off almost as ready physically and mentally as Bellingham was at 18. I really don't see any reason why he won't get plenty of minutes coming on as a sub or resting Sarr and Maddison next season.

It's professional football and every player has a number, as does every manager BUT Emerson's value to the culture of the team with intangibles and versatility probably means that his price is way above what any club would pay based on just what they see on the pitch technically and physically.

Fans tend to look at players with only the information they have but quotes like that from Ange should give you that extra bit of information to know that he really wants him around and that there is probably a really fucking good reason for that.

It's professional football and every player has a number, as does every manager BUT Emerson's value to the culture of the team with intangibles and versatility probably means that his price is way above what any club would pay based on just what they see on the pitch technically and physically.

Fans tend to look at players with only the information they have but quotes like that from Ange should give you that extra bit of information to know that he really wants him around and that there is probably a really fucking good reason for that.

A floor raiser, you need them in the squad.

A floor raiser, you need them in the squad.

Tbh I think humans that are good for your culture like that are ceiling raisers but that's just me.

Emerson is meant to be one of the hardest working and most disciplined people in the squad. Spends crazy money on his body outside training. When your squad players do that to push their way into a starting role, your most talented players had better fucking do it as well or they know they lose their spot.
That makes your best players better and raises your ceiling as much as any signing ever could.

Doesn't seem like coincidence to me that we saw videos of Emerson and Richy putting in work together and having similar schedules outside training and now Richy is finding his form.

Tbh I think humans that are good for your culture like that are ceiling raisers but that's just me.

Emerson is meant to be one of the hardest working and most disciplined people in the squad. Spends crazy money on his body outside training. When your squad players do that to push their way into a starting role, your most talented players had better fucking do it as well or they know they lose their spot.
That makes your best players better and raises your ceiling as much as any signing ever could.

Doesn't seem like coincidence to me that we saw videos of Emerson and Richy putting in work together and having similar schedules outside training and now Richy is finding his form.

Players like Emerson are called floor raisers cause they are constantly pushing up the standards even if they aren't the best player in the team, it means that your best players are always on their toes because the supposed weak players are showing them how it's done and the level they need to keep up.

That's why I've always liked Gallagher, he's not the best player in his team but his standards will never drop, he's a trier and that kind of stuff is infections on the rest of the squad, sort of like ', if he can train and play like a mad man and he doesn't have half the ability as me then there's no reason why I can't do it' sort of thing.

Last edited:
Does 20 million for Emerson Royal get you a nailed on better player? Had to spend a lot more to get Porro.
I think with our revamped scouting system bearing fruit we need to be looking for more natural cover for the inverted FB roles.

Ben and Emerson are great pros but not great fits for the system. If Porro/Udogie were hit with any long term absence we would really struggle.

We should be looking at signing a Udogie/Sarr/Bergvall every window. I'm sure Lange and Don Fab can dig up some great fullback prospects this summer.

I think with our revamped scouting system bearing fruit we need to be looking for more natural cover for the inverted FB roles.

Ben and Emerson are great pros but not great fits for the system. If Porro/Udogie were hit with any long term absence we would really struggle.

We should be looking at signing a Udogie/Sarr/Bergvall every window. I'm sure Lange and Don Fab can dig up some great fullback prospects this summer.

Kid in our academy called Leo Black that gets rave reviews, scored for the u18's I think.

absolutely agree in revealing in present and happy we are at the start.

Too late was the wrong term, but I just find it frustrating that the changes made by Levy are cited as some form of genius by the contrary Levybots on here….. absolutely a smart move, but let’s not ignore he’s had 23 years to create a strategy and a structure. Away from this board I’m super excited but find it hard to ignore a handful of loathsome individuals on here who defend the bald dwarf regardless
Mate seriously, enough with the 23 years. The problem era was the 4-5 years when the stadium build was on. Levy took his eye off the Football side of things and we suffered.

For the majority of those 23 years, he put in place a strategy that took us from relegation flirters to CL regulars, built the best stadium in the World, along with Hotspur Way, and now has us as one of the biggest clubs on Earth.

The only thing missing in that time was trophies. He tried to fast track them with Mourinho & Conte but failed. Now he's going back to the strategy we started with, but has improved the team carrying out that strategy.

OK, he dropped the ball for a few years Football wise. He trusted the wrong person/people to oversee that side of it, whilst the stadium was his focus. He's obviously now learned from that. He now has the infrastructure in place, so the main focus is solely on the Football side. He appears to have recruited a top notch management team, and I'd be hugely disappointed if he didn't bring Paratici back into the fold once his ban is up.

The strategy is so clear that even us fans can see it. The change in the way we do our player trading has clearly changed. Two windows in a row with key players in early?

The choice is yours Bruv. Hang onto your hate for hate's sake, or shake it off and actually enjoy this new dawn.

I'm closing in on 60 years now, and I can tell you truthfully that I can't remember ever being this excited about the team's future since The General brought Ozzie and Ricky. It's a great feeling.

Whatever your feelings about Levy, he is most definitely the Architect of this. Whether it's luck or judgement I couldn't care less, it's happening when he's in charge. If you think all this is going on in spite of him then you really haven't got a Scooby about how these things work.

Here's a question for you, name me another club that has gone from the equivalent of Southampton, to one of the top 8 ranked clubs on Earth in 23 years?

Your entire reason for "hating" the man is based on us only getting the one trophy over that time, so here's another question for you. If we start winning those trophies over the next few years, then continue to do so for years after that, will you continue to "hate" him?

Can you look at yourself in a mirror and justify that "hatred" if that happens? Can you even justify the "hatred" you previously had for him if that happens?

You're not a stupid bloke Zomb, unlike some of the utter morons on here, you just have a blind spot where he, and certain other players are concerned as I see it.

I'll tell you what I see with regard to Levy. I see a guy who has abandoned this very British demeanour of short termism, and adopted the long term vision that I think is synonymous with the Japanese, when it comes to business, and I now think that we're about to see the fruits of that long term vision.

I'll leave it to you to decide whether you think I'm right on that. Maybe then you'll abandon this Levybot rubbish and, at the very least, accept that those "defending" him actually have a point.

Like I said, you're not a stupid man, I'm sure you'll start seeing things a little differently once you've ruminated over the above for a bit.

There's a few of us that have been saying the same thing for a while now. He has an elite mentality that is essential to any team. You don't have to be the best of the best on the pitch to inspire.

I wouldn't sell him for any money personally.

absolutely right, its the intangibles that we don't see and sometimes hear a snippet about like the quote from Ange that has a value beyond his playing ability. As my father in law says, "that's worth a guinea a box". And he's putting in good performances as well. I realised I wasn't shitting bricks when I saw him warm up a few games ago. Much more dependable than before. I reckon Eric Dier would have the same comments said about him as well but he needed to move on/ be moved on, more than Royal.

Back
Top Bottom