January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

kylian mbappe hello GIF by beIN SPORTS
Sign him on a free in the summer on £1,000,000 a week on a 1 year contract with the option of a 2nd year
Sell him for £52m after triggering the 2nd year.

Mbappe on a free

Jeff Bridges Youre Welcome GIF

Richard Arlison Richard Arlison I guess what you're looking for is our Van Dijk/Allison/Rice transfer is that right?

I guess time will tell where we go all out and spend the money who we know who will take us up a level, I think the club would be more willing to do something like that nowadays because I think Levy has more trust in Ange and we have a recruitment team who are getting things right now which means the money won't be wasted. I just don't see that at the moment because there's no obvious player on the market that will do that.

You have to wonder though, how long can the hardcore anti-Levy protagonists, given the very obvious major change in transfer policy in the last couple of years, carry on attacking the regime...
As long as we sit on the outside looking in.
As long as the dry, trophyless spell continues.
As long as other teams who were seemingly behind us move ahead of us.

If the clubs and fans ambition is to be "in and around the CL players most seasons" then we are very successful.
In fact. we probably hit that goal 10 years ago and have plateaued ever since then.

I don't think we moved at all, we just didn't want him
Oh come on, you don't spend that much time, have the talks, leak all the leaks to the media etc and simply change your mind.
We thought it was in the bag, we thought we were the only team involved and we decided to take our time.
It's Grealish all over again. Quite why this is still happening when Levy supposedly not involved I don't understand. Unless he hires people to do what he would do...

Oh come on, you don't spend that much time, have the talks, leak all the leaks to the media etc and simply change your mind.
We thought it was in the bag, we thought we were the only team involved and we decided to take our time.
It's Grealish all over again. Quite why this is still happening when Levy supposedly not involved I don't understand. Unless he hires people to do what he would do...
Wasn't all the talks, all the time spent just made up media bullshit? According to Paul O' Keefe, there was one meeting and then Spurs walked away.

Wasn't all the talks, all the time spent just made up media bullshit? According to Paul O' Keefe, there was one meeting and then Spurs walked away.
If Ornstein did what PoK did, he'd be getting the old "he's just a gooner" nonsense. Because PoK is more Spurs, he gets away with it.
I'd bet my arse PoK was happily reporting that talks were ongoing/progressing/expecting to move on etc for the last 2 weeks.
And when a team he had NFI were in the background came in, pleads ignorance. He had NFI because we (Spurs) had NFI

Richard Arlison Richard Arlison I guess what you're looking for is our Van Dijk/Allison/Rice transfer is that right?

I guess time will tell where we go all out and spend the money who we know who will take us up a level, I think the club would be more willing to do something like that nowadays because I think Levy has more trust in Ange and we have a recruitment team who are getting things right now which means the money won't be wasted. I just don't see that at the moment because there's no obvious player on the market that will do that.

I don’t remember Van Dijk or Allison being obvious either though.

That’s on Lange and the crew. Like I said, luckily they don’t need me to find players for them and maybe they can do it within the club’s traditional structure but if they don’t, it’s fair fucks that the fans will start asking questions about ambition.

He doesn't start weekly for Bruges. It's just another stick for the Levy haters to bash with.
Hey...I'm sure you're one of the posters who cries when the term 'Levy Lovers' is used.

So 'Quid Quo Pro' my friend..If you can't take it, don't dish it.

And after 24 years critics don't need any more sticks

If Ornstein did what PoK did, he'd be getting the old "he's just a gooner" nonsense. Because PoK is more Spurs, he gets away with it.
I'd bet my arse PoK was happily reporting that talks were ongoing/progressing/expecting to move on etc for the last 2 weeks.
And when a team he had NFI were in the background came in, pleads ignorance. He had NFI because we (Spurs) had NFI
He wasn't reporting shit about Nusa.

I don’t remember Van Dijk or Allison being obvious either though.

That’s on Lange and the crew. Like I said, luckily they don’t need me to find players for them and maybe they can do it within the club’s traditional structure but if they don’t, it’s fair fucks that the fans will start asking questions about ambition.

Come on, it was clear that they were more obvious upgrades on Lovren and Karius.

If you look at our squad it's lacking in the forward areas, can you think of obvious upgrades who will definitely transform our team who play on the left and the right? Even Oliseh at the moment I wouldn't call someone like that.

The only player for me who moves the needle would be someone like Eze and even then I don't think we actually need him to transform our midfield.

Hey...I'm sure you're one of the posters who cries when the term 'Levy Lovers' is used.

So 'Quid Quo Pro' my friend..If you can't take it, don't dish it.

And after 24 years critics don't need any more sticks
Is it the same though? Surely the difference is:

- you'd describe yourself as hating Levy & ENIC, wouldn't you? (Apologies if I've got that wrong);
- most of those defending the regime don't describe themselves as 'Levy lovers', most see both good and bad in the regime over the last 20+ years, definitely more positive than negative, but certainly not professing to be "Levy lovers".

So it's not the same at all - calling people "Levy haters" when that is what they absolutely profess to be is not the same as calling people "Levy lovers" when they deny that's what they are - indeed calling anyone something they openly profess to be is not the same as calling anyone something they deny being.

Btw I'm not condoning any other name-calling on either 'side' - just saying that this one is absolutely a false equivalence. :) And if anyone being called a 'Levy Hater' confirms that they don't have Levy, then I agree they shouldn't be called a 'Levy Hater' either. :)

Come on, it was clear that they were more obvious upgrades on Lovren and Karius.

If you look at our squad it's lacking in the forward areas, can you think of obvious upgrades who will definitely transform our team who play on the left and the right? Even Oliseh at the moment I wouldn't call someone like that.

The only player for me who moves the needle would be someone like Eze and even then I don't think we actually need him to transform our midfield.

I do think at some point when the players have fully adapted to the roles, the squad has depth which it does now to a degree we will need to take the plunge. Our defense is magnificent, our midfield when it is finally available should be fine to compete with anyone but with Kane gone and Son getting on a bit the extra bit of quality will be needed.

As fans we have to get over Ndombele, we spent badly on big signings in the past but that is us, other clubs like Liverpool have shown the big money signing is the one to break the glass ceiling be it Van Dijk or Alisson. Heck even overpriced Darwin Nunez has been leading the Liverpool title charge. There will come a moment and it will probably be this summer when the club has to make a call, at least this time it can make a call with Lange & Paratici and not Steve Hitchen. For depth we probably only need 1 more midfielder, a Gallagher or a Emerson.

We have done the right thing up to now, getting youth and building depth with the likes of Udogie, Sarr, Porro, Solomon etc. The next step once the squad is filled out is the elite game changer/s, that is probably the hardest step.

if the lad chose Brentford then fair play, he’s only 18 and maybe over two or three seasons he’ll play close to 100 games and only be 21 and move again…
If he signed for us maybe over three seasons he only gets 40 odd games and then is 21 years and has learned or improved fuck all.
Can’t win them all.
Look at sessegnon 38 league games and he’s washed up at 22 and would be lucky if any premier league team would take him now
Not sure sess is right guy to compare him to , can’t play if your always injured!

Back
Top Bottom