January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you want to spend that much money on a player who's so badly out of form though? £100m for a player who is having a rank bad season is a terrible investment, it's even worse now because it's mid season and Milan are unlikely to let him go for cheap now anyway, the smart money is waiting on him until the Summer to see if he picks up form and he's more likely to be cheaper regardless - players tend to be cheaper in the Summer because it gives other clubs time to look for replacements as there's more movement on the market.

I don't think there's any rush personally, I've always said that I've been happy at the kind of moves the club's been doing and the progress that's been made - have always maintained that if we get the Summer window right we are 100% challenging for the league next season and that's due to the progress we've made - think fans just need to be a little patient IMO.

Also just popped up on my TL.

View: https://x.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1751885139192226187?s=20

Random and again not saying we should get Leao specifically but I could definitely see him being available for the right bid. Now or in the summer.

This link is likely agent bollox and quoting PSG and Newcastle is just picking the two biggest idiots that everyone thinks have money so you can drive up a perceived price. But still, if we went and got a Leao profile this summer, nobody could argue that wasn't ambitious.

Anyone using Nusa and the likelihood of him going to Brentford as opposed to us as a negatve, needs time in an Ice bath.

Fcuking 18 years of age. If he were so damn good, jusy where do OI start....???

Bale, Alli and Kane. That is the calibre of player that can make it at a big club and none were near our first team at that age.

Move on.
Exactly.

He doesn't start weekly for Bruges. It's just another stick for the Levy haters to bash with.

He's the same style and build as Gil.. Gil is a great dribbler and rapid, just isn't strong enough for the PL. Nusa could very much be Gil 2.0.

I'd rather address an area that needs attention this window, then go all out for a top LW/ST in the summer.

Also just popped up on my TL.

View: https://x.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1751885139192226187?s=20

Random and again not saying we should get Leao specifically but I could definitely see him being available for the right bid. Now or in the summer.

This link is likely agent bollox and quoting PSG and Newcastle is just picking the two biggest idiots that everyone thinks have money so you can drive up a perceived price. But still, if we went and got a Leao profile this summer, nobody could argue that wasn't ambitious.

We will see where we are with him in the Summer, last year I was keen, this year not so much.

I don't think he's a must get at the moment because he's not in any sort of form to make me think he's a game changer, maybe that changes over the next few months but he's not transformative for me at the moment.

if the lad chose Brentford then fair play, he’s only 18 and maybe over two or three seasons he’ll play close to 100 games and only be 21 and move again…
If he signed for us maybe over three seasons he only gets 40 odd games and then is 21 years and has learned or improved fuck all.
Can’t win them all.
Look at sessegnon 38 league games and he’s washed up at 22 and would be lucky if any premier league team would take him now

View: https://x.com/TheSpursScout/status/1751924782306660506?s=20

If that's true then it looks much more like Brentford offered what we wouldn't and that's why we walked.The stuff about the player choosing Brentford always felt like spin to me.

But if that is what Brentford offered, I fully agree with us not matching it. Big clubs don't/can't make offers like that. Stepping stone clubs make offers like that.

I guess it depends on who we are willing to believe. Reports by journalists say he chose Brentford due to playing time. POK is saying people within the club didn't think he was worth 30m and that lots of people within football think he's miles off PL level.

I don't understand what you mean by taking too long. How long did we take?

What's Grealish got to do with anything!?

Grealish was into his 20s and had absolute years and years of experience and had developed relatively well.

Nusa is an 18 year old who NEEDS competitive games to develop. That's his decision. We couldn't offer him that. That's got nothing to do with the club taking its time and it's got absolutely nothing to do with any sort of transfer fee.

Youre literally making stuff up as a way of bashing the club because of a decision a teenager has made for what he thinks is the better of his career.

There was no outbidding, there was no "gazumping" as much as you'd have liked to run that narrative, I'm afraid. Just a relatively refreshing decision made by a young talented footballer who cares about his development.
This post gives me "Margot Robbie whispering naughty stuff into my ear" feels.

Off to the johns, lads. Be there a while.

Difference was Liverpool didn’t spend their own money. They were lucky that Barca turned up and paid 140m for Coutinho. They just spent that money on Alison and VDV. No one is spending that sort of money now.

Of course they spent their own money.
They bought Coutinho in the the first place, and then they sold him for the money they felt was fair, and then they reinvested it in 2 players who made them stronger.

Our fans are often far too aggressively against selling first team players, even if there is a chance to actually upgrade the whole team with that money.

For instance, I wouldn't be opposed to selling Romero for more than we paid for him, then using that money to sign 2 good first team players if they improve us overall.
He's good, but he's a bit of a liability.
Heck, if a ludicrous Saudi bid came for Son, at his age, I'd have to think about it and what the money could be spent on for the next 10 years potentially.

Is he though? How have you got to that conclusion? From watching him in the Belgian league?

I see Johnson has become the new scapegoat.. I seem to remember a certain Korean winger being that 6-7 years ago. I wonder what happened to him...
He can't be any good, he's currently playing in Qatar.

I guess it depends on who we are willing to believe. Reports by journalists say he chose Brentford due to playing time. POK is saying people within the club didn't think he was worth 30m and that lots of people within football think he's miles off PL level.

If those numbers are right then we can be pretty confident that wasn't an offer were were ever interested in matching and walked away when things got silly.

It happens. If he ends up World Class at Brentford we might still regret it but if those numbers are right, then it would take something special to not be the right call to walk.

Attack we need an elite wide player. Son, Richarlison and Veliz can cover CF as I doubt we are looking at Toney or Osinhem but we need a kvaratskhelia type player who can press, dribble, link and score to a high level.
kylian mbappe hello GIF by beIN SPORTS

Exactly.

He doesn't start weekly for Bruges. It's just another stick for the Levy haters to bash with.

He's the same style and build as Gil.. Gil is a great dribbler and rapid, just isn't strong enough for the PL. Nusa could very much be Gil 2.0.

I'd rather address an area that needs attention this window, then go all out for a top LW/ST in the summer.
He's taller and heavier than Gil.
And at 18, has more scope to fill out further

I don't think the Nusa one is money, and I'm not convinced it was down to game time either.
I don't think we moved quick enough, we didn't see a "rival" bid coming and before we knew it, we lost a target.
I don't think we moved at all, we just didn't want him

He's only made 10 appearances this season. He doesn't seem an Emery favourite.

He's been injured.

Started 4 of a possible 10 league games this season due to injury. He started 21 of Emery's 25 games in charge last season, missing 3 of those through injury.

Think Emery rates him highly.

You have to wonder though, how long can the hardcore defenders, if there isn't a massive shift in philosophy this summer, carry on defending the regime.
You have to wonder though, how long can the hardcore anti-Levy protagonists, given the very obvious major change in transfer policy in the last couple of years, carry on attacking the regime... See, we can both do that. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom