January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Played as left wing forward and striker. He has some similarities to Son.

So in theory competition for two spots.
If he comes in and scores minimum 5, I say we have a referendum on here for you to change your username to Timo.

howie mandel host GIF by Deal Or No Deal

I've spoken with a few pals of mine in 🇩🇪 - one is a Union fan, two support Dortmund and the other is a Kaiserslautern aficionado who tells me every single time we chat ball together that we should've signed Djorkaeff of them instead of letting friggin Bolton have him 😂

Anyway...all told me we're getting a super player, who works hard for the team, who has good leadership qualities, who knows how to score & pass. Apparently a pretty decent, well-educated chap too. They'd all sign him on the spot for their respective club.

They said German fans knew Chelsea was always the wrong move for him...they hate the Chavs as much as we do! Also said he's been unlucky with injuries & illness since he moved back to Deutschland, but when fit he's super fit. His club, RB Leipzig, are also going younger & younger and they wanna take Bayern's spot as the big name in German football but also with international audiences, so they're favouring foreign players over Germans.

See what happens but best of luck to the lad. Let's back him from minute one despite his Chavs past.

Considering the laughing stock Kane and Lewandowski make of the Bundesliga, I’m not surprised German football fans think Werner is decent.

A genuine top class striker over there is a 2 in 1 goalscorer. That lot thought Sancho was the bee’s knees too, problem is England is different.

Liverpool wanted him too didn’t they, but as usual, Chelsea did their thing. That was at a time when Liverpool were scouting well using data under Edwards so Werner must tick some of those boxes. Trouble is, the PL record but I didn’t really pay enough attention to him or really watch him at Chelsea. So it’s hard to know really. It’s low risk though.
Always remember him being constantly offside .he is very quick.
His reputation at Chelsea is one of being a failure but if you look at his record it’s not that bad. No worse than Havertz.

You mean like Porro, Udogie, Bentancur, Sarr, Kulusevski, Bissouma, VDV, Romero, Vicario...

Those kind of ambitious, targeted signings? The ones that fit the system like a glove and, when fit, had us deservedly top of the table?

We've been targeting these type of signing for a while now, highly technical, highly talented players, with the right mentality. We've finally got a manager that utilise those attributes.

Look at that list I've just put up and tell me that we won't have at least 5 of them up there in the 'elite' for their roles. I'd go as far as 7 personally.

I get the feeling your idea of ambitious is expensive. If I'm wrong then forgive me, but all I'm seeing are ambitious signings there. What I think pushes many people's buttons is that they're not coming fast enough. That I can understand, we're all impatient for the finished product and the promise of silverware. I'd rather we took our time to get the right signings though, regardless of the price.

Of your list I'd say that Romero and Porro was in what I'd class as "backing the manager". In that yes they are expensive, but they're recognised excellent talents who could be just as likely to sign for other top teams in the prem.

Romero was Serie A defender of the year and porro was one of the most exciting wing backs in Europe.

The rest is outstanding scouting to identify opportunitistic good value purchases of talent that wasn't so widely recognised. This is just as important but you need both, and ultimately the acquisition of recognised talents is the difference between top 6 and winning the league or a cup.

Some examples of backing the manager at a critical moment at other clubs include:

Liverpool:
- Virgil van dijk
- Fabinho
- Alison
- Luis Diaz
- Firmino
- Jota
- Salah

Woolwich:
- Declan Rice
- Gabriel Jesus (big wages)
- Thomas Partey (as a player)
-Havertz
- Trossard
- potentially Ivan toney to come??

Last edited:
Of your list I'd say that Romero and Porro was in what I'd class as "backing the manager". In that yes they are expensive, but they're recognised excellent talents who could be just as likely to sign for other top teams in the prem.

Romero was Serie A defender of the year and porro was one of the most exciting wing backs in Europe.

The rest is outstanding scouting to identify opportunitistic good value purchases of talent that wasn't so widely recognised. This is just as important but you need both, and ultimately the acquisition of recognised talents is the difference between top 6 and winning the league or a cup.

Some examples of backing the manager at a critical moment at other clubs include:

Liverpool:
- Virgil van dijk
- Fabinho
- Alison
- Luis Diaz
- Firmino
- Salah

Woolwich:
- Declan Rice
- Trossard
Salah wasn't "backing the manager", Klopp wanted Brandt I believe, Salah was an Edwards buy.

This is the shopping list I've sent to L & L :cool:
PS! I wonder who would pay £117.3m for Marcus Rashfordm, or £90.4m for Cole Palmer, £78.1m for Rico Lewis, £68.6m Aaron Ramsdale , and £64.4m) for Levi Colwill 🤔
If Ramsdale is worth £68.6m then Viacario must be worth at the twice as much

The 12 English players to make it along with Saka and Bellingham were Phil Foden (£168.7m), Marcus Rashford (£117.3m), Cole Palmer (£90.4m), Declan Rice (£89.4m), Harry Kane (£82.4m), Rico Lewis (£78.1m), Aaron Ramsdale (£68.6m), Trent Alexander-Arnold (£65.5m), Jack Grealish (£65.5m) and Levi Colwill (£64.4m).

TOP 10 MOST VALUABLE PLAYERS​

1. Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid and England) - £230.4million
2. Erling Haaland (Manchester City and Norway) - £216.4m
3. Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid and Brazil) - £215.6m
4. Rodrygo (Real Madrid and Brazil) - £213.6m
5. Bukayo Saka (Woolwich and England) - £192.1m
6. Phil Foden (Manchester City and England) - £168.7m
7. Gavi (Barcelona and Spain) - £151.2m
8. Julian Alvarez (Manchester City and Argentina) - £142m
9. Jamal Musiala (Bayern Munich and Germany) - £131.3m
10. Martin Odegaard (Woolwich and Norway) - £129.8m
*According to CIES

Last edited:
Is Werner an automatic starter? Does he work on the left while Son is gone and does he work on the right when Son is back? I’m not against the loan and having options is a good thing. The lad can score a goal so definetly not bad to have on the bench either
I think he replaces Richy when Son is back.

Jan:

Werner - Richy - Kulu

Feb:

Son - Werner - Kulu

Essentially Werner, Johnson and Richy will be fighting it out for the 3rd spot. Son and Kulu are pretty much locked down.

Liverpool:
- Virgil van dijk
- Fabinho
- Alison
- Luis Diaz
- Firmino
- Salah

Woolwich:
- Declan Rice
- Trossard

Assess the player not what was paid.

As an example was Udogie a good buy - well he's about the best left back in PL right now. So an outstanding buy.

But your post dismisses him as 'only' costing £16m ........

Ditto Vicario when we could have bought the more expensive but inferior Onana, Raya or Sanchez

Think it shows you need to rethink how you view acquisitions

Considering the laughing stock Kane and Lewandowski make of the Bundesliga, I’m not surprised German football fans think Werner is decent.

A genuine top class striker over there is a 2 in 1 goalscorer. That lot thought Sancho was the bee’s knees too, problem is England is different.
Yeah I get yout point, which is partly valid. Peak Lewa would've scored buckets in the PL, I'm sure of that. As for Sancho, if his attitude was that of a real pro athlete and he didn't play for one of the shittest United teams of all time, I bet he'd fare a hell of a lot better.

Anyway, once Werner is finalised, we should all back him and hope he does well here...cause if he performs, that'd tend to mean the team is doing well too and we're in with a chance for the PL crown/Top 4 plus FA Cup glory, you just never know.

I'm not gonna paint Ange as a miracle worker who's got everything right and turns everything he touches into gold, but at the same time, I do believe he can extract real sweet juice out of somebody like that Timo lad.

Back
Top Bottom