January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Werner an automatic starter? Does he work on the left while Son is gone and does he work on the right when Son is back? I’m not against the loan and having options is a good thing. The lad can score a goal so definetly not bad to have on the bench either

I also think that we as a collective fanbase have been spoiled by having prime Kane and Son for the last decade. Kane in particular.

Werner's 15 goals on average per season is perfectly fine and something that most strikers would love to have. Son used to average like 12 league goals up until just a few years ago.

And obviously most strikers are going to be a step down from Harry Kane. He's Harry Kane.
I was thinking that last night.

The two early chances Richarlison had when he went through on goal were Kane’s bread and butter. At one point you’d have bet your house on him scoring those.

Richy obviously isn’t at that level, nor are most. If we get Werner in hopefully the two of them (and Son when he’s back) can get the goal tally ticking over.

Timo Werner seems to have come out of nowhere. Cover for Son and Veliz I guess? Doubt we'd look to make it perm.

I was thinking that last night.

The two early chances Richarlison had when he went through on goal were Kane’s bread and butter. At one point you’d have bet your house on him scoring those.

Richy obviously isn’t at that level, nor are most. If we get Werner in hopefully the two of them (and Son when he’s back) can get the goal tally ticking over.
From my memory of Werner he would speed away from the defender and put it wide or to the keeper. Better than Richie in those positions to a point

I've spoken with a few pals of mine in 🇩🇪 - one is a Union fan, two support Dortmund and the other is a Kaiserslautern aficionado who tells me every single time we chat ball together that we should've signed Djorkaeff of them instead of letting friggin Bolton have him 😂

Anyway...all told me we're getting a super player, who works hard for the team, who has good leadership qualities, who knows how to score & pass. Apparently a pretty decent, well-educated chap too. They'd all sign him on the spot for their respective club.

They said German fans knew Chelsea was always the wrong move for him...they hate the Chavs as much as we do! Also said he's been unlucky with injuries & illness since he moved back to Deutschland, but when fit he's super fit. His club, RB Leipzig, are also going younger & younger and they wanna take Bayern's spot as the big name in German football but also with international audiences, so they're favouring foreign players over Germans.

See what happens but best of luck to the lad. Let's back him from minute one despite his Chavs past.

I was thinking that myself. He's got 5 years on Son so, if he manages to find his shooting boots, as Blakey has already posted, he's as close to Son as you can get.

Let's not forget that Son has had his spells of shitty form where he couldn't hit a barn door either.

I really hope this one does come off for him. A fit, firing and confident Werner playing our type of Football?

Mouthwatering...

I think he's a good option to look at

At Chelsea looked more threatening than he did actually was (or grossly underperformed his XG by about 50%) but was far better in his first spell at Leipzig. And I think that's why we don't want an outright buy now.

And at age 27, it might be a question of price - decent buy at say 30-40m preferably not more than 60 million or whatever the numbers might be

Levy is currently involved in preliminary discussions before being set to make an initial offer to meet with an agent who makes his money by playing different teams off each other. I'll get back to you all when I hear any more updates.

I've spoken with a few pals of mine in 🇩🇪 - one is a Union fan, two support Dortmund and the other is a Kaiserslautern aficionado who tells me every single time we chat ball together that we should've signed Djorkaeff of them instead of letting friggin Bolton have him 😂

Anyway...all told me we're getting a super player, who works hard for the team, who has good leadership qualities, who knows how to score & pass. Apparently a pretty decent, well-educated chap too. They'd all sign him on the spot for their respective club.

They said German fans knew Chelsea was always the wrong move for him...they hate the Chavs as much as we do! Also said he's been unlucky with injuries & illness since he moved back to Deutschland, but when fit he's super fit. His club, RB Leipzig, are also going younger & younger and they wanna take Bayern's spot as the big name in German football but also with international audiences, so they're favouring foreign players over Germans.

See what happens but best of luck to the lad. Let's back him from minute one despite his Chavs past.

Nice post

We’re 1 point away from top 4 & 6 off of the top of the table. Why can’t Levy & this board break the habit of the last 23yrs & just back the manager properly when it’s needed rather than leave us short once again.
It absolutely does my head in. You’d think he’d learn after the same mistakes he’s made over & over again but no, it looks like he’s going to be rinse & repeat as usual.
Not that I massively sold on this move and definitely not defending it just asking a serious question.

Who is available that you can see that is actually not going to cost a bomb mid season or potentially upset the dressing room as they won’t be a starter when everyone’s fit?

Only hope on it that I see is that it’s an upgrade on Gil for no outlay for 6 months.

I think someone put his stats up earlier and they are pretty decent. If he starts scoring to go with his attributes of running defenders in behind,pressing aggressively and being sharp in and around the box then what’s not to like about a 6 month loan like that. We can’t really lose out of it.
It’s not as though we are getting someone who’s not done it at the very highest level. Ticks more boxes than it doesn’t.

Back
Top Bottom