Fulham VS Tottenham Hotspur. Carabao Cup. Tuesday 29th August 2023. Craven Cottage 19:45pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With a better team selection there's no need for luck.
There is always a need for luck in cup competitions. One notable feature of the 1991 FA Cup run was that we didn't face any top flight opposition until the semi-final which is just as well because our league form in 90/91 was appalling. We were also lucky that Gascoigne wasn't sent off in the final and that we were able to bring on a substitute for him.

I don't know why anyone is actually surprised. We haven't taken cup matches seriously for some time. I was about as unsurprised as it is possible to be.

I have long standing Spurs mates who genuinely believe they will never see Spurs win another trophy.

A sad state of affairs for a 'big club'.

It started when Poch threw a NLD in a cup game for me!

There is always a need for luck in cup competitions. One notable feature of the 1991 FA Cup run was that we didn't face any top flight opposition until the semi-final which is just as well because our league form in 90/91 was appalling. We were also lucky that Gascoigne wasn't sent off in the final and that we were able to bring on a substitute for him.

That’s true and Gazza should have been sent off in an earlier tie against Pompey for deliberately elbowing an appointment

Not that I’m criticising Gazza because without him we wouldn’t have got near the final!

So this is the thing now.

I was fuming and still pretty hurt leaving Bramall Lane against Sheffield United in the FA Cup last season.

Yesterday leaving Fulham, I wasn't even bothered we'd lost and even today I'm not.
The defeatist attitude has become normalised and that starts from the top, Levy is more interested in top 4 because he runs a business.

Fans like me live more in hope than expectation that we will put a decent cup run together, let alone win one. It was a shame stadiums were empty during Covid when we last got to a final. I think that will be the last time for a long while before we get close to another final.

Here me out on this, come January we will be having the same conversation after we bow out of the FA Cup.
I don't expect us to rotate much ( if at all ) for the FA cup.

We've been fed this crap for years. Some they joined Spurs knowing Levy bullshit. They claim DNA and Fighting, etc, yet all the know is Daniel Levy Bullshit.

People were quick on the Ange Bus, now it's showing its route and is clearly the opposite direction of what Supporters want.

He talks about seeing what they like? He should do that with 1 or 2 at a time, not change the whole squad. He is briefed for Top 4. Just like all other managers where.

Ange Ball my Arse. No different to any before him.

Another absolute belter from you 😆

You're chatting shit Totti

If we'd have played our strongest team we would've had a much better chance of winning that match

No guarantees of course but at least we'd have given ourselves the best possible chance

Some of us want to see our team win a trophy, the horror of it right? Only been 15 years and counting
He's not bothered about us winning a trophy mate

Unpopular opinion?
Everything is going to be okay
Oh and league positions and trophies don't bother me in the slightest. I watch football to be entertained. It's a sport that I simply enjoy. The last few years have been miserable in that regard.

I beg to differ. I'm supporter. Not a Fan. I'm not happy with 4th place. I'm not happy not winning the FA Cup and not happy going out to Fulham in the Carabou Cup.

Nobody is happy about not winning things or going out of the Carabou cup.

But just cool it with the hyperbole, that’s all.

I’m sure really that you are a fan…but you do go OTT at everything imo.

"Not all plain sailing, bound to be some hiccups along the way. Not all plain sailing, bound to be some hiccups along the way. Not all plain sailing, bound to be some hiccups along the way."

Along the way there's a hiccup, as expected.

"We're a fucking disgrace. Sell everyone. False dawn etc. etc. etc."

:lamelaaghh: :lamelaaghh::lamelaaghh:

"Not all plain sailing, bound to be some hiccups along the way. Not all plain sailing, bound to be some hiccups along the way. Not all plain sailing, bound to be some hiccups along the way."

Zest Zest will cure any hiccups!

Milk of Magnesia anyone?

Football fans are a fickle bunch 😂

This wasn't a hiccup

This was a shit the bed

More disappointed in the performance than the fact we got knocked out of the Milk Cup, yep.

And I know for a fact if we had played ridiculously well but lost on penalties, we wouldn't have got the ridiculous kneejerk.

Think the kneejerk was guaranteed with that team selection regardless of whether they played well.

There would still be the disappointment of not selecting a strong team to prioritise a cup and beat Fulham in 90

There is a painful, gaping drop in quality when we play our second string.
I’m sure that the manager wanted to see for himself how they held up in a competitive match, but to start tinkering so early into the season against a decent oppo was a mistake. There was no reason to not give ourselves the best opportunity to progress.
9 changes almost inevitably meant a disjointed looking team.
I’m not too angry. Losing on penalties when Dav takes the responsibility over some of the other more likely contenders isn’t the end of the world.
We just didnt look like a cohesive unit all night. That was disappointing after the first 3 games

I think Ange gambled on selecting a weakened team with the expectation that Fulham would do the same (as apparently they have done in recent cup exits). Clearly that didn’t happen and we ended up playing like we did under Conte when it was all going wrong. Terrible outcome.

Back
Top Bottom