Fulham VS Tottenham Hotspur. Carabao Cup. Tuesday 29th August 2023. Craven Cottage 19:45pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Keep the momentum rolling.

A great chance for us to go strong for the domestic cups this season.

Ange hinted at plenty of changes. I'd go:

Perisic - Rich - Solomon
GLC -- Sarr
PEH
Davies -- VDV -- Sanchez - Royal
Vic​

Can't wait for nice - nice test for an early round cup game.

I think your team is probably close to being spot on, with perhaps Skipp in for Sarr and the midfield that ended the game today being the one that starts.

Perisic - Rich - Solomon
GLC -- Sarr
PEH
Vic​
That's too much rotation imo, we need to take it seriously and keep most of the PL starters, rotating too many players at once usually turns out poorly, as we well know.

Perisic - Rich - Solomon
GLC -- Sarr
PEH
Vic​
Fuck off

Davies and Sanchez have killed us in so many cup games. Ok with Perisic and Solomon coming in but I wouldn’t start PEH either

When we see the team we will see whether Ange is taking the cups more seriously than recent Managers. He is already talking about making changes which does not bode well. We have just 2 matches before the International break and if the first team cannot cope with that perhaps it is a blessing we are not in Europe It is the attitude it sends out, “it is not as important as a PL match” No wonder we are trophyless.
I cannot even consider the likely outcome until the team is announced but will not be happy to see the players that will not make the PL squad when it is announced later in the week.

When we see the team we will see whether Ange is taking the cups more seriously than recent Managers. He is already talking about making changes which does not bode well. We have just 2 matches before the International break and if the first team cannot cope with that perhaps it is a blessing we are not in Europe It is the attitude it sends out, “it is not as important as a PL match” No wonder we are trophyless.
I cannot even consider the likely outcome until the team is announced but will not be happy to see the players that will not make the PL squad when it is announced later in the week.
I doubt anyone leaving will be involved... But there another dozen or so players that make up our squad...

I think changes will get made to get squad players up to speed with the system and play a part, whilst getting minutes, for the same reason he brought on the experience of PEH & Perisic today, to help the team close out the game, and nullify the brief rally from Bournemouth.... I think he utilised the squad really well today, and expect the same on Tuesday.

Picking players that don't play today isn't 'taking the Cup less seriously', it's utilising and tapping into the squad depth we have....
And if they're not good enough, we'll know soon enough!

Trust in Ange mate!

He has literally said he's picking the side to win the game, not to just give people a run out.

You're living in the past. Every game means something to big Ange. He even corrected the Spurs journo in pre-season when he said the result didn't matter...

"Results always matter mate".

As far as I'm concerned, we finally have a manager who isn't thinking the way you fear.

Vicario
Royal
Sanchez
VDV
Davies
Hojbjerg
Sarr
Solomon
GLC
Perisic
Richarlison
lineup code
[lineup]
Vicario 
Royal Sanchez VDV Davies
 Hojbjerg Sarr
Solomon GLC Perisic
 Richarlison
[/lineup]

A bit of an odd line up granted, theory being put Hoj and Sanchez in the shop window again vs PL opposition, give GLC and Perisic some minutes, it's a good opportunity for Richy to continue to play into form, and gives Son a rest to potentially start up top vs Burnley (assuming we haven't bought a new striker by then, which is looking increasingly unlikely). I'd rather take the risk of playing VDV next to Sanchez purely because of how injury prone Romero seems to be, VDV is young and can take a 2 game week in stride fairly easily one would imagine. Davies is a bit of an arse twitcher but again we need to keep Udogie fit for the league games ideally, we should really have better depth there because Sessegnon as a young rotational prospect is shite and Reguillon is just shit at everything, no system change will help him learn to defend or actually do anything with the ball once he's in the opponent's third. Dier is pointless, literally pointless, I'd rather play a traffic cone.

Last year they lost 2-0 to Crawley at the same stage. They put out a weak team. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62558160

Year before that they also played weakened teams in both rounds.

Hopefully we'll be ok
They're the type of club (size wise) that could write this one off as a distraction, and focus on PL survival, OR look at other similar sized clubs who have won it in the past and think they have a better chance than say, the FA Cup...

Not that I'd want to progress against a scratch team of youth & reserves, but it wouldn't half be nice to get deep into this comp, and see where it takes us!

I think Ange will take this seriously enough to play a 1st team spine, but I'm certain he will pepper the XI with the squad players he expects to stay beyond the window...

Be interesting to see if Dier and Reggie are anywhere near Craven Cottage on Tuesday (unless one of them is signing for them on Wednesday!!!)

Vicario
Royal
Sanchez
VDV
Davies
Hojbjerg
Sarr
Solomon
GLC
Perisic
Richarlison
lineup code
[lineup]
Vicario
Royal Sanchez VDV Davies
 Hojbjerg Sarr
Solomon GLC Perisic
 Richarlison
[/lineup]

A bit of an odd line up granted,
I don't think it looks too bad at all tbh....

Plenty of 1st team experience in there, plus some minutes for squad players like Solomon and GLC & Royal...

Though I think Skipp might play instead of Sarr...

Inevitably we're in that zone where people complain about no cups and then call for wholesale rotation once the fixtures arrive. Fuck that.... It's our only potential mid week fixture for a month. Go strong, leave a dent and then rotate as early as poss (which Ange isn't shy of doing anyway).....

I'd bring in Royal & Solomon for starts but that's about it; the only question mark being who to drop; Son or Kulu...... I think Kulu needs the mojo-momentum more (+ Sonny's legs are 2nd oldest in the squad and it still leaves the 2 VCs on the pitch).

Vic
Royal / Rom / VDV / Udogie
Biss
Sarr / J-Madz
Kulu / Richy / Solomon

Skipp, GLC, Peri +2 can all get minutes during the last 3rd.

Last edited:
While you're describing a real football fan dynamic,

I'm sure it's not exclusive to us..... It's why the managers get paid the big bucks, but still; the irony doesn't escape me.

at the moment I think the only player we're not seeing that people would like to is Solomon.

I can also appreciate the desire/curiosity to see GLC start but I'd rather we just hit hard and early........

Last edited:
Our midfield only played 70 or so minutes today. Fell like they could all go again. Let’s see how Madison’s ankle is though. No need to push that. Some minor rotation for this sure, but I’ll be annoyed if we don’t take it seriously.

Back
Top Bottom