Aston Villa vs Tottenham Hotspur, Sat 13th May, 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Emery has done super well. He is a very decent manager.
Let's be honest we are rather in disoray at the moment.
They may sneak above us this season?
Get the the right man in the summer & I have no doubt we can restore normal service & be back above them.
jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Im not a stats fan but can anyone say what his goalscoring record is in top level crucial games (cup finals etc against top teams when the team is under pressure.
The sample size for games like that isn't big enough to matter.

You guys already sound like when rival fans are trying to find an angle from which to critique him -- so much for that amiable exit that'll never happen. What matters is that he keeps scoring and dominating big games in the PL: London derbies, big six teams, all of Europe's elite in the CL etc., only player to keep his head and take an excellent goal at the cauldron of the battle of the bridge, and so on. This season, he's scored against almost every big 6/7 team despite the squad around him.

ZZSVpWx.jpg

So many defenders in a deep line and we wonder why Villa was all over us. They were basically in a 2-4-4 today, which is what we should be doing.

Inviting pressure makes zero sense with this squad. We don't have any midfielders (besides Ndombele) good enough on the ball to beat a man and the midfielders we do have that are good enough to pass around/through pressure (Bentancur and Bissouma) barely played together because Conte knew best.

If Anyone thinks Mason is the answer then they don’t know the question, we need a experienced quality manager in ASAP Levy and co have turned this season into an utter embarrassment

I really do think a good manager could sort us out - up to a point, of course. We’re not going to win big trophies with this set-up but we might at least have a chance to win some games against the top six and we might not be beaten by relegation teams.
Watching this game in particular I could see that we just don’t have a clue what to do with the ball when we get it. The defence will push the ball up to the midfield and you can almost hear players like PEH say to themselves: “oh shit, a ball, what the eff do I do with this”? He looks around, wonders where he is, tries to remember what he was taught in training (if indeed he was taught anything..) and then just looks to get rid of it by pushing if off to his nearest teammate.
Meanwhile, when Villa got the ball out from the defence: biff baff boff, before you know it they are swamping our penalty area and shooting at goal.

Don't agree, if he had no drive he wouldn't get twenty goals a season. He wanted to go to City to win and get away from this loser squad, so he must have some degree of drive to win.

I don't think he is a leader, but he's a top professional who works to be the best player he can be. I'm not sure anybody else at our club does the same.
Ikr. I wonder why every single one of his coaches have talked about how crazy hard he works and how ambitious he is.. Maybe they're lying and commenters on here know better. But that still wouldn't explain how obviously invested he is in every result.

Disagree on him not being a leader though. He's not the most vocal but he leads from the vanguard by example in classical military fashion. How many times do we see him signalling and talking to his teammates after Spurs concede? Often. And I'm not convinced that it's the captain's job to walk around the pitch telling people what to do. I think people conflate captains with coaches or managers sometimes. They really have quite a minimal role, which I think Kane would do well with a more professional team that would be inspired by and try to copy his effort.

ZZSVpWx.jpg

So many defenders in a deep line and we wonder why Villa was all over us. They were basically in a 2-4-4 today, which is what we should be doing.

Inviting pressure makes zero sense with this squad. We don't have any midfielders (besides Ndombele) good enough on the ball to beat a man and the midfielders we do have that are good enough to pass around/through pressure (Bentancur and Bissouma) barely played together because Conte knew best.
The ol’ 5-1-1-1-1-1 formation.

The ol’ 5-1-1-1-1-1 formation.
It's a mess.

The only good thing about it is Son's furthest forward.

Son's a super-sub at this point IMO, but when he's playing, he should be either standing at the centerline or even with the last defender. Don't waste his energy or our time having him try to defend in our own half.

ZZSVpWx.jpg

That map of our play is depressing... the players, the formation, everything needs to go back to first principles...

I have to admit, I was round my mother in law's, three-quarters watching on my phone...

I wish we had an Eriksen, a Van der Vaart, a Hoddle. Oh please god I don't believe in, give us the new Glenn Hoddle.

And that's all I have to say about that.

forrest-gump-2972104.jpg

Emery had his team very organized defensively. It takes discipline for a defender to see Son in the starting blocks and not try to get the jump on him. They played him offside superbly. As far as the free kick, Forster practices against our lot. He is not used to seeing players that can curl a kick over the wall and into the top corner.

The way the club is being run that is a distinct possibility.

Does anyone have our league position for the last 10 games? bet we are right down there.
EDIT : Checked it, Last 10 games we sit in 14th with 12 points. And in that run of 10 games we played; Saints, Forest, Bournemouth, Everton, Palace, Villa to give it some perspective on how fucking god awful it is.

Mate, we’re not getting relegated.
Here, you want to take a bet?
If we get relegated next year, I’ll pay £100 to a charity of your choice and fuck off of this forum.
If we don’t, then no money but you get to sling your hook onto SC where you can spend the following year encouraging us to lose more.
How about that?

Mate, we’re not getting relegated.
Here, you want to take a bet?
If we get relegated next year, I’ll pay £100 to a charity of your choice and fuck off of this forum.
If we don’t, then no money but you get to sling your hook onto SC where you can spend the following year encouraging us to lose more.
How about that?
I don't think you should be making bets with your track record of being wrong on just about everything,

If we can only manage 12 points from the last 10 games with Kane in this team. Take those 20+ guaranteed goals out and where does that put us?

We have one of the worst defensive records in the division.

We are in free fall, are you even paying attention to whats happening?

Back
Top Bottom