Spurs v Man City - Sunday 5th Feb, 4:30pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Having just watched the highlights on MOTD2 it's clear that tiredness and the sudden, unexpected death of a member of the coaching staff was a bit of an issue for City.

ZiNS4MQ.png
pdaFv4Y.png

I get that sort of response when I tell a joke down the Pub!

The fucking state of that comment. Looks like he deleted it as I can't quote it.
Greaves was wonderful in the 50's and 60's
He'd be slow and useless in the 21st century.

That's not a dig at Greaves. Football has changed beyond comprehension today.
Kane could go back in time to Greaves period and with his fitness, might last 10 minutes of a match before getting snapped in half by the typical assault players were subjected to.

You cannot compare them like for like. Same for boxers. The sports change. The science changes.
No, the comment is still there i think....🤔

Fair enough but I saw a lot of Jimmy and he was like greased lightning so speed wouldn’t be a problem

The fags at HT might though

My all time Spurs legend along with Mackay who would be a revelation in today’s game
It's just incomparable. And it works both ways. Todays elite athletes would struggle with bad pitches, waterlogged balls and getting assaulted.

The fucking state of that comment. Looks like he deleted it as I can't quote it.
Greaves was wonderful in the 50's and 60's
He'd be slow and useless in the 21st century.

That's not a dig at Greaves. Football has changed beyond comprehension today.
Kane could go back in time to Greaves period and with his fitness, might last 10 minutes of a match before getting snapped in half by the typical assault players were subjected to.

You cannot compare them like for like. Same for boxers. The sports change. The science changes.
Simply do not agree with your comment on Greaves. He was lightning quick, both in thought and in deed.

You are right in your last sentence though, the changes render them incomparable. However, with the fitness regimes and protection that strikers get today, I'm 100% of the opinion that Greaves would eat the modern game alive.

It's just incomparable. And it works both ways. Todays elite athletes would struggle with bad pitches, waterlogged balls and getting assaulted.

Yes so you can’t really tell but Jimmy had a goal poachers knack of being in the right place at the right time

George Best was never really renowned for his pace but I think he’d do rather well!!

Simply do not agree with your comment on Greaves. He was lightning quick, both in thought and in deed.

You are right in your last sentence though, the changes render them incomparable. However, with the fitness regimes and protection that strikers get today, I'm 100% of the opinion that Greaves would eat the modern game alive.

I think the lacing boots comment was a bit harsh but I suspect Greaves might have been better for natural talent .

I think the lacing boots comment was a bit harsh but I suspect Greaves might have been better for natural talent .
In the final third absolutely, but elsewhere?

I love Greaves, but I'd have to say that for all round talent, Kane takes it.

It's taken Kane 37 games more to beat Greaves' record, but factor in that Greaves was essentially a finished product when we bought him, whilst Kane started his first team career as a youngster just embarking on a top flight career, then you tend to look at Kane in a different light.

He's fully deserving of recognition as our greatest ever striker, though not everyone will agree with this.

Greaves is my hero. Maybe second hero after Hoddle.

Greaves in todays era would be phenomenal. But with the way transfers are today, he would not spend the 9 years at Spurs. He would have go to RM or similar on a world record transfer.

Lots of ifs and buts when you compare across eras. However this is true - Harry is one of the best strikers in the world of his era. Greaves was the best. No question.

Back
Top Bottom