Tottenham Hotspur v Portsmouth (FA Cup) (7th Jan - 12.30pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

youd have kane on the bench for second half if it is looking in the balance. but he shouldnt be needed because they are a league 1 side. if kulu is fit hed probably play as hell need some minutes. we will have more than enough.

if kane starts against a side in league 1 and gets injured with NLD a week away we are well and truly fucked, and might as well give the scum the title on a plate. that would be as spursy as it gets.
But Kula is not fit and we have noone else. If we lose tomorrow, Conte will probably survive but lose tomorrow and the NLD then he is in trouble and with horrible fixtures following we could go into freefall and he will be gone. We need to win and then get a 4th Round match that is not against a top PL match.
Explain to Kane sitting on the bench wanting a trophy and watching another toothless display with plenty of possession but no end product that he will ever win a trophy here. Kane stayed on against Palace when 3/4 goals up even though a yellow card would have seen him miss the NLD.
We expect players back for the NLD but lets be honest we will not be favourites to win that following another poor display and bearing in mind Woolwich have only lost 1 match in the PL this season.
Do you really care about winning a trophy or just interested in the PL & CL?

Not sure why we're changing the keeper. Lloris has just had a rest and I don't see any point in playing Forster just for the sake of it.

Personally, the only player I think we should rest is Perisic so Sessegnon is the only change I would make. We need an FA Cup.

Save Perisic and Davies for the NLD. I'm hoping Conte might surprise us with the return of Kulu or Bentancur and is keeping stumm about it for a psychological advantage against the scum.
I wouldn't start Kulu or Bentancur. Rather sub them in later. It usually doesn't work out well for us when we try to put in a player that is just coming back from injury..

Yves Bissouma is available after suspension, but there are no changes on the injury front as we prepare to face Portsmouth in the FA Cup third round at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Saturday (12.30pm).

That means Rodrigo Bentancur, Dejan Kulusevski, Lucas Moura and Richarlison remain sidelined.

Previewing the tie, Antonio Conte’s assistant Cristian Stellini told SPURSPLAY after training on Friday that Deki could come back into the frame for next Sunday’s north London derby in the Premier League (15 January, 4.30pm).

He said: “We are working hard to have these players with us again in the squad, maybe next week we can recover Deki, and we’re working hard to do this. We have a tough period, important matches, so we have to recover all the players.”

Asked in his press conference if this match represented a chance to give Harry Kane a rest, Cristian replied: “It could be an opportunity to give him a rest, but we don't have many players and the choice is compulsory. So, we have to choose the players we have in the front line. We have three strikers at the moment, and we'll use them. It's an important match in an important cup and if you want to respect it you use the players in their positions. At the moment, we have those three.

But Kula is not fit and we have noone else. If we lose tomorrow, Conte will probably survive but lose tomorrow and the NLD then he is in trouble and with horrible fixtures following we could go into freefall and he will be gone. We need to win and then get a 4th Round match that is not against a top PL match.
Explain to Kane sitting on the bench wanting a trophy and watching another toothless display with plenty of possession but no end product that he will ever win a trophy here. Kane stayed on against Palace when 3/4 goals up even though a yellow card would have seen him miss the NLD.
We expect players back for the NLD but lets be honest we will not be favourites to win that following another poor display and bearing in mind Woolwich have only lost 1 match in the PL this season.
Just checked and we are 12/5, Goons are faves at 21/20. I fancy us at those odds

We CANNOT under any circumstances lose tomorrow!

Kane and Son will have to start this one but we really need Deki and Richi back because we have to start spreading the minutes around up front. The injuries to those two have meant an insane workload for two players who badly need to start reducing their minutes after years of being overplayed.

thats true about leaving kane on when a yellow away but he has a good amount of control over not getting a yellow, getting injured is largely out of his control, only takes some scumbag to mistime a tackle or slip, look at donny van de beek the other day.

id like to win the FA cup but not by putting CL football in jeopardy no way!

romero was a yellow away against palace too i believe? notice how he toned it right down to make sure hes safe for NLD? thought romero looked good like that hahaha, nice to know that he can completely change his game and still be a beast

I was in their Social Club that night. It was full of hyper kids talking about seeing Harry Kane. They were more excited than they were at Christmas.
Kane obliged with a goal and the Tranmere fans loved it.

Brilliant I agree but what if he turned his ankle?

A pretty sobering thought that our mid table third tier opponents in the 3rd round tomorrow have won the FA Cup 17 years more recently than we have.

I’d love to win the FA Cup. I’ve such great memories of going to all the finals in the 1980’s and 1991. It’s an insane wait of 32 years for Number 9.

Last edited:
I think we'll go strong tomorrow... Sounds like we might take this relatively seriously, and why wouldn't we...?
It's STILL the FA Cup FFS... remember:
"The cup that every club plays football for"
©Chas & Dave, 1987

A pretty sobering thought that our mid table third tier opponents in the 3rd round have won the FA Cup 17 years more recently than we have.

I’d love to win the FA Cup. I’ve such great memories of going to all the finals in the 1980’s and 1991. It’s an insane wait of 32 years for Number 9.

It’s a stain on the club that we haven’t won it since 1991. An embarrassment.

A pretty sobering thought that our mid table third tier opponents in the 3rd round have won the FA Cup 17 years more recently than we have.

Especially when you consider that our 1991 win was a record 8th triumph and how much we were seen as a "cup team".

Underlines just how far we fell behind in the next 15-20 years.

Especially when you consider that our 1991 win was a record 8th triumph and how much we were seen as a "cup team".

I blame Joe Bloggs*
...we were never quite the same after that publicity stunt!

* if you know, you know!

It does but what happened since 1991 shows how thinly the spread of trophies has become in the 30 years of the EPL era. The first FA Cup final was in 1872 so 120 odds years for us to become the first team to win it 8 times in 1991.

In the 31 finals since we won it in 1991, Woolwich have won it 8 times, Chavs 7, Man U 5, Dippers 4, Citeh 2. That makes up 26 out of 31.

Woolwich won it 8 times between 1993 and 2017. As I’ve said it took us nearly the first 120 years of the competition to win it a then record 8 times.

Back
Top Bottom