Bournemouth (A) - 29 October - 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's by design, Lloris said as much - the instruction is to drop off and conserve energy from 15/20 to 45 min.

Conte doesn't think any team can keep up a high intensity for 90 mins every 3 days.

It's frustrating to watch, but we can only trust that over the entire season Conte knows more about fitness and football than anyone else.

The evidence over his career suggests he does, or is at least one of the very best at it.

Frustrating isn’t the word for it sometimes
First half yesterday was Prime Burnley but I see what you mean

It's by design, Lloris said as much - the instruction is to drop off and conserve energy from 15/20 to 45 min.

Conte doesn't think any team can keep up a high intensity for 90 mins every 3 days.

It's frustrating to watch, but we can only trust that over the entire season Conte knows more about fitness and football than anyone else.

The evidence over his career suggests he does, or is at least one of the very best at it.
If we can get 6 points from the next two games, we are in an excellent position imo

As some others have said, Skipp on the right of a 3 in midfield as an 8 didn't work at all. I would've swapped him with Yves who's more dynamic and skillful.

Dier on the right of the 3 cbs worked well, he's a pretty good crosser of the ball, Gil also put in another good cameo. Interesting to hear Conte talk about him in the presser and compare him to Bernado Silva whilst admitting he needs to get stronger physically.

Benta did very well also, looked hungry when he came on and the Sess goal really lifted us, great run and finish and good pass from PEH.
Didn't understand moving Sess to the right when he brought Perisic on.

A vital win, Conte gambled on the changes ahead of Tuesday and it worked (just), but good to rest a few.
I do worry about Kane, he's being worked into the ground and will then be flogged again in Qatar when he really needs a rest. Hopefully Rich and Dejan are back soon.

Snatch your hand off for four. Liverpool ain’t losing three on the bounce and Leeds have torn Arse and Liverpool apart in recent weeks.
They didn't beat Woolwich though did they?.....think we will beat Leeds but your right on Liverpool, they ain't losing 3 on the bounce realistically, and our record is abysmal against them. I'd bite your hand off for a draw.

At least in Spain that's seen as an absolutely key part of a DoF's remit.
I’ve obviously heard of La Masia. But didn’t know it was part of the remit for most clubs DoF’s over there. Seems like an obvious smart idea & plan. You have players taught your teams way of playing from a young age.
I guess over here buying players is the way we mainly do things & the youth academy is pretty neglected. Apart from a few teams.
Also it can nearly pay for itself with young players that you end up selling on. I won’t list all the pros to that idea as it seals for itself.
I might be painting with a broad brush but maybe it is easier in Spain as it’s mainly possession based technical football. Where as we would have to commit to a style that may end up not matching a new manager like conte/Jose.

As some others have said, Skipp on the right of a 3 in midfield as an 8 didn't work at all. I would've swapped him with Yves who's more dynamic and skillful.

Irrespective of whom plays R-CM for us; I find the tendency for them to find themselves playing winger concerning....... The same was happening with Bentacur in a previous game.

That's exactly where our RWB should be operating and if they can't handle that positional requirement either play one who can or stop playing WBs.

Biss played mostly in a 352 for Brighton..... He didn't do so as some proxy-winger..... They had Cucurella, Lamptey etc. doing that.

Last edited:
Irrespective of whom plays R-CM for us; I find the tendency for them to find themselves playing winger concerning....... He same was happening with Bentacur in a previous game.

That's exactly where our RWB should be operating and if they can't handle that positional requirement either play one who can or stop playing WBs.

Biss played mostly in a 352 for Brighton..... He didn't do so as some proxy-winger..... They had Cucurella, Lamptey etc. doing that.
I don't disagree about Emerson and your point in general but Skipp especially really isn't a right half (not winger) imo and I think Yves has more of the skillset to do better there.

My main point is that if they were swapped yesterday they would both feel more comfortable and perform better than they did.

I don't see Conte changing the system and I don't think he should, not now at least. It seems he doesn't trust Doherty defensively and he doesn't think Spence is ready, no doubt it'll be a priority area for him in January.

Exactly this. It's not even worth celebrating against Bournemouth. We should be beating them 4-0, not suffering until the 93rd minute for a winner. I wouldn't care less if we lost today, and I don't care at all that we won. Performance is concerning, and I'm saying that as a massive Conte supporter.
So dont celebrate a tottenham winner?? I was disgusted by their performance but i still fucking celebrated the goal. Get a grip

I don't disagree about Emerson and your point in general but Skipp especially really isn't a right half (not winger) imo and I think Yves has more of the skillset to do better there.

My main point is that if they were swapped yesterday they would both feel more comfortable and perform better than they did.

I don't see Conte changing the system and I don't think he should, not now at least.

Aye... I wasn't disagreeing with you. Quite the opposite..... I felt for Skipp yesterday... Especially when he got the hook.

.....But to re-emphasise my point about positioning; what's the point in playing WBs if the scope is for them to to merely range between FB to RMF rather than FB to RWinger? ......Defeats the object, surely.

Last edited:
Exactly this. It's not even worth celebrating against Bournemouth. We should be beating them 4-0, not suffering until the 93rd minute for a winner. I wouldn't care less if we lost today, and I don't care at all that we won. Performance is concerning, and I'm saying that as a massive Conte supporter.

Shame that.......... I wonder if Liverpool care or not that they lost against bottom of the table Forest last week? .....Or whether they'd have celebrated a late-winner against a 'no wins in 8' Leeds team yesterday?

When did taking wins for granted become a thing?

Christ.

Not every top 6 team blows everyone away 4-0 each time.

Obviously we sucked for the first 50 minutes but to say you wouldn’t have cared if we lost and didn’t care that we won makes me wonder what it is you are supporting.

Irrespective of whom plays R-CM for us; I find the tendency for them to find themselves playing winger concerning....... He same was happening with Bentacur in a previous game.

That seems to be the flaw with 352 with us. You have only Kane and Son up top so need the creativity to come from the flanks which sorry to say Emerson isn’t capable of. 352 enables us to be strong in the middle but has less attackers, Doherty or Spence should be used.

The Emerson thing is just a weird hill for Conte to die on. Emerson is a right back he isn’t remotely a wing back. We just look unbalanced when he is on the pitch, square pegs round holes.

Back
Top Bottom