Sporting CP vs Tottenham Hotspur. UEFA Champions League. Tuesday 13th September 2022 @17:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

conte in ECL:
37% W
31,4% D
31,4% L
What about the other 0.2%?

Confused Thinking GIF

When I was in the travel agent booking my flights, the guy next to me got quoted roughly the same amount to fly to Australia!!! Not even joking! Turns out he was a Spurs supporter and he was going to try to get to the Liverpool game before he flew back.
I was a bit apprehensive about going on my own as the girl I usually travel with can't make it, otherwise would have made a mini break. Also this will be my first time at an airport and going abroad since lockdown. Looking forward to meeting up with deadleyledley and anyone else who is going along.
COYS

Have a safe trip and great time over there..
Will look out for you on the tele.

COMPREHENSIVE WIN OVER PORTIMONENSE SC​

By Sporting CP
10 Sep, 2022

MAIN TEAM
Sporting CP run out 4-0 victors at home in Liga Portugal

Sporting Clube de Portugal beat Portimonense SC 4-0 at home on Matchday 6 of the Liga Portugal season, as Francisco Trincão bagged a brace and Pedro Gonçalves and Nuno Santos added to the scoresheet. The win was the third in as many games for Rúben Amorim's side.

The coach, taking into account a packed schedule that includes midweek Champions League fixtures, made four changes to his starting XI: Nuno Santos, Luís Neto, Rochinha and Ricardo Esgaio came in for Matheus Reis, Jeremiah St. Juste, Manuel Ugarte and Pedro Porro, who had begun the game against Eintracht Frankfurt in Germany.

After a quiet first few minutes, Sporting CP took the initiative, not only threatening but also establishing an early lead. After Esgaio had shot straight at opposition goalkeeper Kosuke, on the resulting corner the ball went into the 'D', where Trincão, with his left foot, shot first time. His strike -which caught a deflection off a defender, found its way into the net and made it 1-0 at Alvalade.

iisa3986.jpg

The rapid goal forced Portimonense SC coach Paulo Sérgio to abandon his highly conservative strategy of a packed defensive line. The visitors had come into the game in fourth place in the table and the second fewest goals conceded (two).

With plenty of the ball, Sporting CP were controlling the action, with attacks and combinations between Edwards and Trincão, and runs by Esgaio on the right.

Trincão had a dangerous shot intercepted by a defender and Rochinha hit just wide of the goal. For the away team, ex-Leão Gonçalo Costa -who would be taken off before the half hour- put Antonio Adán to the test, for the first time close to 25 minutes in.

0b4a3886.jpg

The pace then slowed down, before Sporting CP picked it back up with a series of chances. First, Nuno Santos forced a great save from Kosuke, and in the 40th minute, a three-touch move took the team 2-0 to the good. After a recovery high up the pitch, he immediately launched the ball long to Rochinha, who crossed low for Trincão to finish.

Just before the break, only the goalkeeper kept out a shot from Edwards from outside the area, whilst referee Cláudio Pereira momentarily lost control of the game and showed four cards, three of them to Sporting CP – including a red to assistant coach Carlos Fernandes.

After the halftime break, Matheus Reis replaced Gonçalo Inácio. Amorim was then forced to take off Neto when he received a hard challenge, bringing on Porro.
Later, on the hour, the coach freshened things up with Paulinho and Sotiris Alexandropoulos coming on for Rochinha and Morita.

Sporting CP were comfortable and enjoying several attacks. After Coates had threatened with a header from a corner, Paulinho chased a lost ball in the area and, with the goalkeeper coming out, set up Trincão. Pedrão would clear off the line.

In the 72nd minute the score was extended to 3-0, through Gonçalves as he appeared alone at the far post to meet a perfect cross from Porro.

Nuno Santos rounded off the win with an assist from Gonçalves, shooting low to take the result to 4-0.

Sporting CP move up to ten points in Liga Portugal. They will be back in action on Tuesday in the UEFA Champions League, playing Tottenham Hotspur FC is scheduled for 5:45pm local time at Alvalade.

Sporting CP: Antonio Adán [GK], Ricardo Esgaio, Luís Neto (Pedro Porro, 54'), Sebastián Coates [C], Gonçalo Inácio (Matheus Reis, 46'), Nuno Santos, Hidemasa Morita (Sotiris Alexandropoulos, 60'), Pedro Gonçalves , Francisco Trincão, Marcus Edwards (Paulinho, 60’) and Rochinha (Manuel Ugarte, 54’).

watched the first half of the match yesterday
they look sharp, passing was crisp, move the ball around aka Man city
not sure if Portimonesce FC are much of a team , But sporting looked good

watched the first half of the match yesterday
they look sharp, passing was crisp, move the ball around aka Man city
not sure if Portimonesce FC are much of a team , But sporting looked good
Portimonesce are currently above Sporting in the league, I think. They're not the worst Portuguese team. Let's be honest, we didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory with our performances in the away game against the farmers of Pacos de Ferreira last season, did we - and they're shite?

Different manager this time - and a better squad.

Sporting will be confident, Hopefully, over-confident. Hoping for a win, but a draw will not be a bad result and losing wouldn't shock me.

COYS

Back
Top Bottom