Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool, 28/01, 8PM KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So sack him and start all over? Are we Chelsea?

We were talking about the title 6 weeks ago...he needs time to figure it out.

I back him. I think we are getting closer. I can understand if you think we are not.

Reality is, we spend like a mid table club, not top 4... Why do we think Jose should win the league?

If we win the next game, we are a point out of 4th. I think Jose (still one of the best managers ever) can figure it out!

Question for everyone: if we finish top 4 and win a trophy, is that a successful season?!
Yes sack him and start over with an actual plan. A progressive coach with a vision that fits with what the damn club motto is. We are now back where we are under Jol. Total rebuild with an emphasis on screwed investment. No more Mendes, no more favours, no more Gedsons or Harts because he shouts loud. We are back to being a punchline as under Sherwood. Lets end this and start the painful rebuild that was need three years ago.

What’s your perspective on where we’re at now mate?

Not being a cunt but obviously you had great faith in Jose. Has that subsided at all or do you think it’s just a blip?

I find myself getting angrier by the week personally.....
I’m starting to just see it as it is.
I had visions that we are a team with some world class players and some very good ones, then some squad players.

Personally, where I’m at now is that I genuinely don’t think the players I rate so highly are actually at that level.

Surely world class requires consistency.

Our top players just aren’t consistent enough to be put in that bracket I’m afraid. The mentality isnt there and no manager seems to be able to fix it.

Im angry because we lost, but we are what we are. Great on our day, diabolical off it.

It’s been this way for years, don’t know what the problem is, but I don’t blame anyone, it’s just our level right now.
Hopefully the manager can instill a spine this time, because all the Ra Ra in the dressing room is nothing but hot air.

I don’t think we have a true captain and leader on the pitch. Maybe Hojberg in a couple seasons.

I am still Jose in. We need to give him time to build the team. Remember, even Klopp took ages to build Liverpool from 6th place to a team worthy of competing for trophies.

Yesterday's loss was bad, but not all Jose's fault. Kane got injured midway through first half, and played 20 minutes crocked. Reguilon and GLC are key injuries. Furthermore, we made quite a few defensive errors which ruined the gameplan.

People are bemoaning the subs- and I was annoyed too- but perhaps it's a sign that Bale and Vinicius simply aren't good enough.

Last edited:
Despite my generosity to Jose, I think once Gio is back, we MUST play a midfield of: Ndombele GLC Hojbjerg.

I literally can't think of any other midfield combination that would actually give us control of the game. Gio is supremely talented, Ndombele is creative, and Hojbjerg has intelligent positioning and tackling.

Unfortunately, either 2 in midfield, or having Winks/ Sissoko alongside Hojbjerg is not good enough. We don't have possession and too often have to resort to long balls. Dier's passing isn't that accurate.
In some ways that's a sad reflection on our squad depth, as well as a critique of Jose for not trying it so far.

I am still Jose in. We need to give him time to build the team. Remember, even Klopp took ages to build Liverpool from 6th place to a team worthy of competing for trophies.

Yesterday's loss was bad, but not all Jose's fault. Kane got injured midway through first half, and played 20 minutes crocked. Reguilon and GLC are key injuries. Furthermore, we made quite a few defensive errors which ruined the gameplan.

People are bemoaning the subs- and I was annoyed too- but perhaps it's a sign that Bale and Vinicius simply aren't good enough.
It with this football I'm growing impatient a d want improvements now. He's getting 15 m a year to do so it's not like a project

It with this football I'm growing impatient a d want improvements now. He's getting 15 m a year to do so it's not like a project
Jose is a pragmatist. At Real, did they not break a goals scored record? And played Ozil as a number 10 with freedom to be creative?
He has made some poor decisions, but we have to trust him. He's clearly exceptionally intelligent, and understands football.

Jose is a pragmatist. At Real, did they not break a goals scored record? And played Ozil as a number 10 with freedom to be creative?
He has made some poor decisions, but we have to trust him. He's clearly exceptionally intelligent, and understands football.

How can anyone still actually believe this?
He is way past it.
By bringing up Real Madrid that shows just how far back you have to go to provide any sort of substance to your argument.

Doherty is lacking confidence and looks lost out there. So let’s plug him at LB out of position vs Liverpool ? Mind boggling decision by Jose

Doherty was perfectly adequate in the first half. He helped defend down that side and kept Salah quiet. The goal didn't come from his side and we were vastly worse in the second half after we fucked around with the team structure.

Putting Doherty at LWB meant we didn't have to change anything else from the Sheffield game, where we played reasonably well. And at 0-0 with seconds to go in the first half it worked reasonably well again.

Results either good or bad are never because of one player. Today we showed huge weaknesses as a team, multiple players made horrible errors and the team as a whole was not tough enough to stay in the game after Kane went off. The manager made the wrong substitutions and made things even worse.

Doherty was perfectly adequate in the first half. He helped defend down that side and kept Salah quiet. The goal didn't come from his side and we were vastly worse in the second half after we fucked around with the team structure.
Doherty can’t string a pass together right now so I was more focused on his role as the LWB and providing service on the attack. Fair point on his defense and providing coverage against Salah. But wouldn’t using Davies there in that natural position and Toby at CB made more sense ?

Tough to trust Jose right now with West ham above the club and Woolwich not too far behind. Spurs were in first place a month ago and now finishing behind both of those clubs feels very possible.

Literally sack the manager for losing to Liverpool
and burn most of the team at the stake

funniest complaint was that Son disappeared and had a crap game. I wonder if it had anything to do with Kane going off?

What was he supposed to do without the ball - personally I have never seen him so active in the defensive third in a league game before, including the one where poch had him as a defender?

and burn most of the team at the stake

funniest complaint was that Son disappeared and had a crap game. I wonder if it had anything to do with Kane going off?

What was he supposed to do without the ball - personally I have never seen him so active in the defensive third in a league game before, including the one where poch had him as a defender?
And the view that Kane going off shouldn’t really change us. I mean we lost our best player.....how dare it affect us

Doherty can’t string a pass together right now so I was more focused on his role as the LWB and providing service on the attack. Fair point on his defense and providing coverage against Salah. But wouldn’t using Davies there in that natural position and Toby at CB made more sense ?

Maybe, but Toby was shite against Wycombe and cost us the last match against Liverpool with his poor defending against Firmino.

There is no selection we can make in defence that is clearly better than any other. That is the reality. At the moment Joe Rodon is our best CB which is shows exactly where we are. A kid with 3 PL starts under his belt is our best defender.

When you shit the bed like we did last night it's easy to feel like the season is over, but it isn't. We are at the halfway point and it's still competitive. Gio will be back soon. We are in a final. We can go far in the Europa. The season can still be good. A week ago United thought they could win the league now they just lost to Sheffield. So anything can happen. Liverpool play West Ham this weekend and we play Brighton, nothing is decided yet.

Back
Top Bottom