Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool, 28/01, 8PM KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If you watch the video of the VAR, the line based on Alexander-Arnold's shoulder should be moved to a more Spurs-favorable position - it does not account for his forward leaning position (his leading shoulder is closer to the goal than the line would suggest as he started running toward his goal).
What it shows is that VAR does not deal with fact for offsides. Unless you freeze at the precise moment the ball is touched for the pass, it never will. And that's just not possible until such a time they embedded sensors in either all platers boots or in the ball that can detect that, or use multiple cameras to computerised the process.

I've noticed there is a tenancy to use a picture after the ball is played, i reckon working on the theory that if a player is onside a couple of frames later, then he probably was when the ball was played.
But VAR for offsides is best guess, not facts, and I wish they woukd keep saying it is .

Last night, because he was moving towards N'Dombele, and was still slightly offside after the ball had been played, I've no problem with that.

What I would like to know is why the dippers first goal didn't get that level of Forensic examination (he looked onside though, with the naked eye, even though it was tight), and Allison's 'handball' didnt.
And if they did, why didn't we know about it or see it.

For me, this is the biggest issue. For those watching, and especially those in the ground, the conversations on the refs mic should be available, so we can understand if decisions are being looked at or not, and why not. Or why they are

Stop with this 'we're in three cup competitions' shite.

Every single team we've played in each competition, including Chelsea, has been absolute dross.

All three Cups, we'll get pumped against the first proper opposition we come up against.

When this becomes apparent, what the fuck will people cling on to then?

End this shit show now and move on.

Really.
How is life up there in fantasy land ?

Dominated first half. Sorry that is garbage, we had 2 shots, they had the best chances. They went in 1 up, and totally deservedly so, they were better team both halves. They totally dominated midfield from the start, in the main due to the way we set up with 2 against 3 in centre mid.

Allison definite handball and send off ?
Of course this was checked and quickly dismissed by VAR, as any such incident would be. But as was NOT handball, therefore not an offence, not a send off, and TV didn't even deem if worthy to replay, it was a nothing event basically. But somehow because the referee didn't totally invent an offence (which VAR would have overturned anyway) it is such a key decision and the reason we lost ? Behave yourself,, your conspiracy theory is an embarrassment.

The reason we lost was because a better team, with a better manager, with more injury issues, set their team up much better than ours. playing aggressive football, creating numerous more chances. deservedly won, and we can count ourselves lucky, not by more than 2 goals.
This is a terrible attitude to have mate.

I've watched the handball again in real time and it's very borderline, hard to tell but if you can analyse Sons first goal and say that's offside, the potential hand ball needs more scrutiny.

We didn't play bad at all first half and yes we did dominate possession in large spells but once again, as I've been saying on the forum for weeks, we lack any link up with the front men. You need to go and rewatch that match again because it was a tale of two halves for me.

We were the better team in the first half but Liverpool are very direct in their approach, something we are lacking massively. They look to attack when they have the ball as a standard and when they lose the ball work back to get it as quickly as possible. We are now in a defence first approach and have been for weeks upon weeks for some reason after starting so well in attack, we've shifted to a don't lose mentality rather than win at all costs. Yes I know its Mourinhos way, but I'm talking about yday right now.

The first half yday we played some lovely passing football, but we lack the direct attacking intent in midfield to attack, which is why for all the lovely football we played we only had 2 attempts. Kane wants to score, Son wants to score, but that's about it. Ndombele, Hjolberg had great individual performances but there is a cog in that midfield not linking up with the front men.

I think our biggest issue is a lack of real third danger man. Bale obviously was supposed to fill that hole and its hard to see at the very top level where that's coming from. Berg needs time, I just don't think right now this season he's the fix. Lucas is hot and cold, Lamela never will IMO.

Reguilon and Aurier, Ndombele, they're all players that can go forward to link up but they're not forward by trade. Nobody has come close yet to Eriksen or Alli when they were playing at their best for me and its what we need. A player that can pick out a pass but is going to score double figures a season, it's all on Kane and Son right now.

Why are most of our supporters Deluded, like yourself?
We not winning nothing again....
We not finishing top 4 again....

We are crap, our transfer policy scouts included are blind, levy gets paid per annum, he don't care.

Mourinho was/is the wrong choice, we need a young dynamic manager.

We need to play attacking football, at least its enjoyable watching us lose, instead of watching paint dry.

We are mid table fodder, look at the smaller clubs above us in league, why are they ahead of us?
Still Spurs regardless, that’s enough for me

Trophies may come, trophies may not.
I’ll still be Spurs.

Been reflecting on my views on Poch and while I stand for some of it, a lot of it was the talk of an entitled moron for a supporter.
Poch did a great job, I think Levy is doing a great job, and Jose is doing well, and eventually will win something, probably this season.

That’s good for me.

I actually preferred it during the Jol and Redknapp years when I felt a weeks buzz after certain games, and couldn’t sleep days before big matches.

Now nothing is good enough, the vibe is less and less about the journey, the ups and downs and loving the club and those within it.

I genuinely don’t care about the depressing negative views anymore. I’m done with caring what other fans think, you have a right to an opinion, it’s not my place to change it.

I woke up this morning and I wasn’t a scouser, Manc, gooner, west ham or Chelsea.

That fills me with joy. I am re learning to love my club again. The internet is what drives the wedge between the fans and reality.

My reality is that Spurs just aren’t elite, we are still on the fringes, we will get there, and I’ll be ecstatic when we do.
My joy will be unconditional.

Hope you enjoy the Brighton match a lot more than last night, there’s always a next week.

would be good if they could put lines on the pitch that only cameras could pick up in a certain setting. because these angles they show are like an illusion
Nfl have those yellow lines on TV to show where the attack need to get to. My american football lingo isn't the best. In ice hockey they used to have a light around the puck for tv viewers. So your idea is very doable

Then why did we sign him for fuck sake

Well, I guess we expected more from him.
I personally certainly did.

But I guess he will get the chance against Brighton on Sunday. And despite being very sceptical about his ability I absolutely hope he does well and helps the team to good result.

The narrative was different when Pochettino was here. We spent like a bottom half club yet we finished top 4, reached UCL final etc. Now the biggest manager in football can’t do it if he doesn’t have faultless players.
We have gone from saying we have the talent & players, it's just the manager who's crap (poch). To now saying the players are crap despite us signing about 6 players since the new manager came.

1. We were very unlucky with the loss of Reguilon just before the match. It really screwed us over. Doherty never looked comfortable in the LWB role. He had so many opportunities to push the initiative but often times the attack broke down while waiting for him to get the ball on his right foot. Dont think we had any other player that could have played the position any better. A change of formation at the last minute is also unlikely to go well.

2. The Son offside goal was just inches away. If that had counted, it would have been a whole different game

3. Kane injury was the jarring uppercut. Once he was hobbled the attack was also hobbled. Think Lamela, for what he offered, was the best option.

4. Aurier and Doherty were very poor imo. Doherty didnt seem game fit with a lot of misplaced passes. Aurier was his usual disasterous self, losing track of Mane at almost every point and eventually cost us with the first goal. Aurier should be gone imo and we should look to sign a better LB.

5. Our passing accuracy is just bad. Even when not under pressure, our player cant seem to pass accurately consistently and often left the receiver in trouble or outrightly pass to the opposition. Not sure if better coaching can fix this.

6. Our defenders are just poor. On each goal, there was enough blame to go around. The only person that might still turn out ok is Rodon. Even though he was at fault for the 3rd goal, he still showed some promise given his age and experience. The rest were poor, as were Toby and Sanchez against Wycombe. Need major upgrades

7. Midfield was ok but Ndombele and PEH were outnumbered. Bringing on Winks (or Sissoko?) to allow Ndombele push forward brought back our mediocrity issues. Need quality reinforcements ASAP. A better midfield would also lessen our dependence on Kane for not only scoring but also creativity.

8. lloris made crucial mistakes. Given his age we should be looking to move on

Bargain bin shopping is not going to fix our issues anytime soon and the loss of Kane might already doom another season again.
Just on your 1st point.

Ok, Reggie gets injured just before the start.
So why not put Toby in at CB and move Davies to LWB. A left footed player playing on the left.
This still leaves Dav and Doherty on the bench.
Enough cover for CB and WB if needed.

A baffling decision to play Doherty there.

I’ll still be Spurs.

Been reflecting on my views on Poch and while I stand for some of it, a lot of it was the talk of an entitled moron for a supporter.
Poch did a great job, I think Levy is doing a great job, and Jose is doing well, and eventually will win something, probably this season.

That’s good for me.

I actually preferred it during the Jol and Redknapp years when I felt a weeks buzz after certain games, and couldn’t sleep days before big matches.

Now nothing is good enough, the vibe is less and less about the journey, the ups and downs and loving the club and those within it.

I genuinely don’t care about the depressing negative views anymore. I’m done with caring what other fans think, you have a right to an opinion, it’s not my place to change it.

I woke up this morning and I wasn’t a scouser, Manc, gooner, west ham or Chelsea.

That fills me with joy. I am re learning to love my club again. The internet is what drives the wedge between the fans and reality.

My reality is that Spurs just aren’t elite, we are still on the fringes, we will get there, and I’ll be ecstatic when we do.

Hope you enjoy the Brighton match a lot more than last night, there’s always a next week.
Sammy isn't the lack of buzz really a symptom of the incompatibility with the way Jose plays the game? Yes when/if he wins a trophy it will be great but a trophy under Jol, Harry, Poch would have felt even better to me. I want a fearless Spurs back even if its flawed because we feel chicken shit and we are still flawed.

Just on your 1st point.

Ok, Reggie gets injured just before the start.
So why not put Toby in at CB and move Davies to LWB. A left footed player playing on the left.
This still leaves Dav and Doherty on the bench.
Enough cover for CB and WB if needed.

A baffling decision to play Doherty there.
A baffling decision to even start Doherty at all given how shit he's been all season - let alone out of position. He must have made 5 square passes straight to a Liverpool player and put us right in the shit last night.
Yet Aurier got hauled off....go figure.

Wolves must be laughing their arses off.

See you in May with your tail between your legs.

Please don’t hold it against me when I quote you that you was genuinely scared by Woolwich

👍
What’s your perspective on where we’re at now mate?

Not being a cunt but obviously you had great faith in Jose. Has that subsided at all or do you think it’s just a blip?

I find myself getting angrier by the week personally.....

I’ll still be Spurs.

That’s good for me.

🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

As hard as this is, it’s what makes us Spurs.

The destination will taste even sweeter because of the journey we’ve been on to get there.

🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

As hard as this is, it’s what makes us Spurs.

The destination will taste even sweeter because of the journey we’ve been on to get there.

I don’t think we will ever get there that’s the issue. We had that unbelievable chance to create something special in the CL final and we completely blew it in true Spurs fashion. I have come to accept that at the grand old age of 34, I don’t actually think I will ever see a successful Spurs side.

Oh no.

Not the forum Whatsapp group!
Claims someone is the laughing stock of the Whatsapp group and the Whatsapp group becomes the laughing stock of the forum.

giphy.gif

I don’t think we will ever get there that’s the issue. We had that unbelievable chance to create something special in the CL final and we completely blew it in true Spurs fashion. I have come to accept that at the grand old age of 34, I don’t actually think I will ever see a successful Spurs side.
I understand the scepticism, but I have faith.

Without a “sugar daddy” it’s tough to envision the sustained success that Utd, City and Chelsea have had, but we will have highs and lows over the next 30 years and we will be successful.

This club is far more advanced and ready to win things than it was in the 90’s and 00’s. There’s more competition, but I believe we’ll get there..... 👍

Well, I guess we expected more from him.
I personally certainly did.

But I guess he will get the chance against Brighton on Sunday. And despite being very sceptical about his ability I absolutely hope he does well and helps the team to good result.
Lol no he won’t. You know sonny will be up top haha

Back
Top Bottom