Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's fair enough, I was being a tad provocative to make the point that pehaps these teams have the inferior individuals but play much better as a team than we do.
I think that is a fair point. I have watched a good bit of RBL this season, and I could not get excited about half of their regular starters. But they are very well-drilled. They lack creativity in the middle of the park, IMO, and are not uncomfortable with the idea of playing a more reactive game, as they did against Bayern just a couple of weeks ago.

Even Southampton have blown us out of the water with their work rate in recent times. We have some very good players, but we have become very poor at the nuts-and-bolts stuff (pressing, counterpressing and squeezing up when we get the chance). We have a few highly overrated players and an injury/fitness crisis from hell.

Just on the issue of the reluctance of our defensive line to push up at times (and you can see the frustration of some of our attacking players in relation to this), why do you think our back four are reluctant to do this? I think one reason is that only Sanchez has recovery pace. But maybe they don't trust the midfield not to leave them exposed, too? Is there anything else?

Progressive football is the most effective strategy - I just can’t explain what it is why that is successful.

It’s hilarious watching some talk about ‘progressive’ and ‘dated’ football. Mourinho is dated, Nagglesmann is progressive. Fine explain to me in detail how and why?

We have a manager with massive success behind him, titles in England, Spain, Portugal and Italy. Probably, he is the most decorated manager in Europe today. He is older and wiser. Give him time, judge him in Dec 2020.

Get behind him and stop talking nonsense.

Last edited:
Be fair amount it, NW1Spur NW1Spur -Firmino's technical ability is outstanding.

But it takes a manager to see the potential of the player to play a particular role. I think you and I could both predict Dele would stink the place when he was played in the position he was last night, but Mourinho was left scratching his head. He still hasn't worked out that Dele's brother has always been Dele himself.

Progressive football is the most effective strategy - I just can’t explain what it is why that is successful.

It’s hilarious watching some talk about ‘progressive’ and ‘dated’ football. Mourinho is dated, Nagglesmann is progressive. Fine explain to me in detail how and why?
Its ' cos he's 32, and in charge of a manufactured Boy Band club....

It's the same situation as Klopp at Dortmund... he became some 'hipsters Paradise wet dream'
... and so it will be with Nagglesmann... he's 'current' ...he's probably 'woke'... and I imagine contractually obliged to be Vegan... and will be in charge of either Bayern/Real/Barca/Man City within the next 3 years....
Football doesn't look much beyond that!

This article perfectly presents the argument against Mourinho, with his management style and tactics now outdated and superceded by a new generation:

The article would have been upside down if Spurs won the match. It is an article by who ever not even fussed to read it. The article can only be justified if the 25 year young manager wins 26 trophies in 20 years which I doubt very much, so call me in 2040.

26 trophies because Jose has already won 25.

But it takes a manager to see the potential of the player to play a particular role. I think you and I could both predict Dele would stink the place when he was played in the position he was last night, but Mourinho was left scratching his head. He still hasn't worked out that Dele's brother has always been Dele himself.
Firmino's touch is beautiful. His vision, his selflessless, his tactical intelligence. Who are we going to stick up there? People have been calling for Dele to play as a False 9 or as a 9. He isn't even worth a wank when he has a partner up there.

Lucas, Dele and Son are all have dodgy ball control and routinely make bad decisions in possession. Bergwijn has beautiful close control, but he's only been here 5 mins, so what do we do?

For the record, we were 4-4-2 without possession last night, and 3-2-4-1/3-2-5 with it.

It's the same situation as Klopp at Dortmund... he became some 'hipsters Paradise wet dream'
... and so it will be with Nagglesmann... he's 'current' ...he's probably 'woke'... and I imagine contractually obliged to be Vegan... and will be in charge of either Bayern/Real/Barca/Man City within the next 3 years....

Oh god woke supporters - just what the game needs.

Firmino's touch is beautiful. His vision, his selflessless, his tactical intelligence. Who are we going to stick up there? People have been calling for Dele to play as a False 9 or as a 9. He isn't even worth a wank when he has a partner up there.

Lucas, Dele and Son are all have dodgy ball control and routinely make bad decisions in possession. Bergwijn has beautiful close control, but he's only been here 5 mins, so what do we do?

For the record, we were 4-4-2 without possession last night, and 3-2-4-1/3-2-5 with it.

Bergwijn, seems to have the footballing intelligence and ability to adapt to a new position.

... and so it will be with Nagglesmann... he's 'current' ...he's probably 'woke'... and I imagine contractually obliged to be a cunt... and will be in charge of either Bayern/Real/Barca/Man City within the next 3 years....

Fixed that for you mate.

That's fair enough, I was being a tad provocative to make the point that pehaps these teams have the inferior individuals but play much better as a team than we do.

To prove that RB L were missing 3 of their first choice Cb's. Had 19yr old Ampadu on loan from Chelsea academy playing, yet still played us off the park.

I am a huge fan of Nagglesman he almost plays like Pep in possession and Klopp without the ball. Love him at Spurs, might be my favourite style right now.

Mourinho’s tactics seem to be sit deep and counter then hit forward later on in the game. It’s not amazing on the eye but it’s hard to judge as I don’t think we have a balanced squad for Mourinho, Poch or anyone else. We have a good squad not a balanced one. I will judge more next season.

He still hasn't worked out that Dele's brother has always been Dele himself.
I don't know. I think there is a chance he knows, but feels he has little option but to use him right now. At least that is what I am hoping. If we had everyone fit and available (and obviously, I am hoping for even more new faces in the summer), would he make Mourinho's starting 11? I am not sure he would. He is throwing stuff around the dugout every other week now (we're only hearing so much about it today because it was a CL game, as opposed to an early KO at Vicarage Road), so that tells its own story.

Mourinho said that he would like to sign a striker who could, in addition to being able to play up top on his own, play alongside Kane. I also see that Mourinho appreciates the value of pace in attacking players (Dele has zero). People are wondering why we can no longer control games of football; well, players like Dele are the reason.

Back
Top Bottom