Tottenham Hotspur Versus Redbull Leipzig 19/02/2010

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've got abysmal tactical knowledge, but based on this, my expert analysis is that we need to play with wing-backs to really stretch their backline, with Lo Celso playing centrally to feed passes around what I'm assuming will be relatively inexperienced centre-backs who have been pulled around and left nice gaps.

Throw everyone forward to drag their defenders out of position...

Then concede from a counter when we inevitably lose possession :hugoshock:

Leipzigs 3 CB options for this game are Halstenberg, a recognised LB by trade, Klostermann, a recognised RB by trade and Ampadu, the kid on loan from Chelsea

Well we have no centre forward, so it only seems fair.

I’ll be upfront and say that I know very little of the Bundesliga and of RB Leipzig but I did some research into them:

So far this season they’ve scored 66 goals in the Bundesliga and CL and they have the third best defence in the league. In their last 5 games, they’ve scored 6 (3 of which were in the last game) and conceded 7. Their top scorer, Timo Werner, has 23 goals and 7 assists in the Bundesliga and CL combined. He has been involved in 45% of their goals this season. They also have a number of recognized CBs out of action but a number of them may be back in contention for the next leg.

What does all this tell me? Stop Werner and score some goals in the first leg! I think we need to win this game by 2 clear goals to go through as I think we’re going to find it very difficult in the return leg. I think this is where we need to see Mourinho’s years of tactics come into the fold as I think this team is here for the taking, in the home leg at least.

COYS!!

Leipzigs 3 CB options for this game are Halstenberg, a recognised LB by trade, Klostermann, a recognised RB by trade and Ampadu, the kid on loan from Chelsea

This game has penalties, I can smell them. If Aurier is on game, they'll be all ours, too.

What does all this tell me? Stop Werner and score some goals in the first leg! I think we need to win this game by 2 clear goals to go through as I think we’re going to find it very difficult in the return leg. I think this is where we need to see Mourinho’s years of tactics come into the fold as I think this team is here for the taking, in the home leg at least.

Yep, this has a fairly narrow win followed by 95 minutes of squeaking bum at Lepizig written all over it.

By the sounds of it the Leipzig squad is a little thinner with these absences but they have decent alternatives.

Advantage for us, but not as big as first thought

Just the fact that they won’t have their first team back line out is a massive advantage for us.

The problem is I’m not sure Jose will set us up attacking enough to take full advantage. Especially given the fact it’s the first leg, I imagine he will be more interested in not conceding than us scoring.

Need to make the most of our chances before the first picks return for the second leg.... None of the wasteful shit we saw on yesterday.

I'd go with a high defensive line with as much pace at the back as .possible. Really bombard them and take our chances that we can score more than them.

Initially I saw a clean sheet as essential, now I see leading by 2 clear goals as more advantageous to us, especially with how we look on the counter these days. Go to hit them hard. Get Tanganga and his fresh, speedy legs amongst it from the off

Just the fact that they won’t have their first team back line out is a massive advantage for us.

The problem is I’m not sure Jose will set us up attacking enough to take full advantage. Especially given the fact it’s the first leg, I imagine he will be more interested in not conceding than us scoring.

Given his comments a couple of weeks ago, I'm not sure he trusts us to keep a clean sheet anyway.

I'd go with a high defensive line with as much pace at the back as .possible. Really bombard them and take our chances that we can score more than them.

Initially I saw a clean sheet as essential, now I see leading by 2 clear goals as more advantageous to us, especially with how we look on the counter these days. Go to hit them hard. Get Tanganga and his fresh, speedy legs amongst it from the off

I'd fancy us to to score away so yeh, let's just get our heads in front as much as poss.

That's one of the reasons why he has won so much silverware; if any manager can reach the quarter-finals (or even further) of the CL with this squad it's Mourinho.

I’ll be upfront and say that I know very little of the Bundesliga and of RB Leipzig but I did some research into them:

So far this season they’ve scored 66 goals in the Bundesliga and CL and they have the third best defence in the league. In their last 5 games, they’ve scored 6 (3 of which were in the last game) and conceded 7. Their top scorer, Timo Werner, has 23 goals and 7 assists in the Bundesliga and CL combined. He has been involved in 45% of their goals this season. They also have a number of recognized CBs out of action but a number of them may be back in contention for the next leg.

COYS!!

One more thing, Werner hasn’t scored in 5 games which has coincided with a dip in form. Not sure if the two are linked, someone more in the know with Bundesliga will need to say.

Mourhino has surprised me by not being more defensive to date.

However maybe after looking at our defensive options, he's decided that we need to create and score more goals to win - so the pragmatic Mourhino will do the best he can with our defensive options but play attacking football (as indeed happened v Villa in 2nd half etc)

It's actually RasenBallsport (Lawn Ball Sport) Leipzig, because they're not allowed to use a company name in their name.
They've never played Lawnballschport on a lawn with wheels though, have they? Advantage Tottingham.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.

Back
Top Bottom