Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Stats are deceiving that’s why I’m using them properly rather than saying “Dier ran 4000km so he had a good game”

Here’s an interesting stat though:
Dier has one less assist than Dele in the PL this season.
In 700 less minutes.
No, they are not. The misuse (unintentional or otherwise) and misinterpretation of stats is often deceiving or misleading. The underlying stat is just a number.

A for instance for ya- if some 'fair-minded' person said player-X was in the team for X (greater) number of victories and player-Y was in for Y (lesser) number that descriptive stat would yield very little from which to derive any future insight ie the number is purely a distributive summary and not based on probability therefore one cannot conclude winning with player X or Y is more or less likely going forward. Put more simply, correlation is not causation.

But if the previously 'fair-minded' person repeatedly offers a descriptive stat as supportive evidence or as their main defense for a player's inclusion as if there is some causal relationship (ie we win because player-X is on the field) then that scoundrel would be wading deep in the muddy waters of (intentional?) deceit.

Sammy, you got your wellies on?

No, they are not. The misuse (unintentional or otherwise) and misinterpretation of stats is often deceiving or misleading. The underlying stat is just a number.

A for instance for ya- if some 'fair-minded' person said player-X was in the team for X (greater) number of victories and player-Y was in for Y (lesser) number that descriptive stat would yield very little from which to derive any future insight ie the number is purely a distributive summary and not based on probability therefore one cannot conclude winning with player X or Y is more or less likely going forward. Put more simply, correlation is not causation.

But if the previously 'fair-minded' person repeatedly offers a descriptive stat as supportive evidence or as their main defense for a player's inclusion as if there is some causal relationship (ie we win because player-X is on the field) then that scoundrel would be wading deep in the muddy waters of (intentional?) deceit.

Sammy, you got your wellies on?
And what’s a mis use of stats then?
Claiming Eriksen was one of the best footballers on the planet because he passed the ball to someone who scored 12 times last season? Perhaps

And what’s a mis use of stats then?
Claiming Eriksen was one of the best footballers on the planet because he passed the ball to someone who scored 12 times last season? Perhaps
It's right there in my post Sammy. Did the use of variables instead of player's names throw you? And we are in the Dier thread so let's keep it germane ie CE has nothing to do with this.

It's right there in my post Sammy. Did the use of variables instead of player's names throw you? And we are in the Dier thread so let's keep it germane ie CE has nothing to do with this.
Look I stand by my posts.
I’ve included everything. If they were the stats for Ndombele no one would deny it pointed to us being better with him playing, that’s all.

Look I stand by my posts.
And I, by mine.
Here’s Diers stats this season:

Under Poch he didnt play in 9 of the 12 PL games.
In the 9 games he was absent, we conceded 11

PL: played 90 twice, L1,
D1 (played as a CB)
Came on for 12 minutes, W1

CL:
played 22 minutes Won
played 90 minutes Won (played as a CB)

Carabou: played 90 minutes Lost (played as a CB, didn’t concede in the game)

In the 4 games he took part in under Poch we conceded 4.
Dier did not spend 1 second on the pitch for the 2-7 game.
He played 90 minutes of the 3-0 loss at Brighton.

Of the 9 PL games under Poch that Dier did NOT play:
W2 L3 D4

Under Jose:

PL...P8
Played 90 mins x 4 - Won 4
Played 45 mins - Lost subbed off at 0-2
Played 34 mins - Won subbed on at 1-0 up
Played 6 mins - Won subbed on at 2-0
Played 14 mins - Won subbed on at 2-1

CL
Played 29 mins - Won subbed off at 2 down
Played 81 mins Lost

FA
Played 90 mins - drew (played as a CB)
Played 85 mins - Won
Played 90 mins - Won

P13 W10 L2 D1 (above is a detailed break down of his minutes on the pitch)

In those 13 games, we conceded 14 goals.

Games Dier didn’t play under Jose:
P5 W0 L3 D2
In those 5 games we conceded 6 goals

Take the piss all you want about him, but you haven’t really got a case.
It’s not coincidence, or in spite of him.

It’s a simple fact that we are better off using a DM. No more, no less.
Actually, it is in fact coincidence; he played, we won, and they both occurred at the same time ie the very definition of coincidence. And it may be in spite of him but the statistic you utilized doesn't provide a reasonable person with the ability to judge beyond the aforementioned occurrences. But you put it out there in order to imply causation. And now you are "stand[ing]" by your post. You little scamp, you!

I’ve included everything. If they were the stats for Ndombele no one would deny it pointed to us being better with him playing, that’s all.
We're in the Dier thread Sammy. This is attempt #2. Keep it germane.

Is this what he means by throwing his toys out the pram if he doesn't get a contract.

Or has JM instructed him to build a bigger bus to park instead of him? 😂

Is this what he means by throwing his toys out the pram if he doesn't get a contract.

Or has JM instructed him to build a bigger bus to park instead of him? 😂
I don't have an instagram account. What's the gist of the story?

He's done.. so slow and can't even complete simple passes let alone break up play/ follow runners.. gave ball away 3 times in first 10 minutes under no pressure, set the tone for his performance.

He has not played well, but can't help but feel that he's becoming the scapegoat for everything here, even when he has nothing to do with it. Hope he finds his talent back, he's only 25/26.

Back
Top Bottom