Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's not his favourite player. He simply likes and shows support to players the majority don't rate to go against the grain, that's all.
I can see that. Sammy's got that in him...but to be honest that might get him a wee bit of respect from me. If it makes people think and keeps them 'honest' then that's not so bad.

sammyspurs sammyspurs , you putting on?

That's not his favourite player. He simply likes and shows support to players the majority don't rate to go against the grain, that's all.
No I just have this thing where if someone plays shit I will say they played shit, and if they play well I will say they play well.

Not surprised that morons with agendas find that inconceivable

I can see that. Sammy's got that in him...but to be honest that might get him a wee bit of respect from me. If it makes people think and keeps them 'honest' then that's not so bad.

sammyspurs sammyspurs , you putting on?
I don’t have pictures of Kane hanging on my wall because I’m all big now.
I don’t like players because they dance in the changing room or have a good Instagram account.

Play well and I’ll give credit.
Simple as that.

Dier, meanwhile, spent much of his time pointing, some of it shouting and not enough actually doing. At 26, he already looks an ex-footballer.

Couldn’t have described it any better.

Dier, meanwhile, spent much of his time pointing, some of it shouting and not enough actually doing. At 26, he already looks an ex-footballer.

Except deliver 4 suicide passes within the first 20 minutes. He did get slightly better after that but he really couldn't have got any worse.

He getting so much abuse .. he is a great lad with good character , but when fans dicide someone is shit then he's shit no matter what .. it's sad really ..

25% is almost impossibly bad, especially for a player who tends to keep it very basic, in fact his pass success % was 71 today (which is still pretty low).
OK - I swear someone posted the stat I quoted - maybe I misunderstood it.

Played well today by his recent standards. I give him shit but I love his character.

Would love for him to turn this around and become a valuable member of the squad but I doubt it will happen.

I love Dier and I think he’s under-appreciated for the role he played from 2015-2018, but he got old quick. Maybe he put on too much muscle, maybe he never truly recovered from his ailments, but it’s been 3 months and he’s not really improved at all.

He may be a good player to keep around as a 4th CB and 2nd DM, but If he stays I don’t see him making too many match day squads outside of cup matches next season.

Look him on the bench after he came off. He's off in his own little world, appears disinterested in what's going on:

Meh.... He get's up and applauds his team-mates for the winner and appears pretty focussed on the match the rest of the time..

I love Dier and I think he’s under-appreciated for the role he played from 2015-2018, but he got old quick. Maybe he put on too much muscle, maybe he never truly recovered from his ailments, but it’s been 3 months and he’s not really improved at all.

He may be a good player to keep around as a 4th CB and 2nd DM, but If he stays I don’t see him making too many match day squads outside of cup matches next season.

If we manage to shift Wanyama and replace him with a high quality DM, Dier becomes a perfectly viable squad member for the purposes you describe. Not on big wages and cost us fuck all to begin with so I seen no point in striving to move him on when there's other, more pressing business to deal with.

Couldn’t have described it any better.

So you're as clueless as a daily mail reporter, you should keep that quite.

There was a clear strategy today - hoof-ball - we sent more long passes from the back than in any game this seasons Sanchez with 64% and Aurier also with 64% pass success shows just how many hopeful long punts were being used ... why? because Villa can't defend they make more errors in defence than any other side .... and guess what this 'clueless chaos' strategy led directly to our winning goal ... but you go with the daily mail if you must.

Dier did his job, the change was clearly a planned one as Dier was having by far his best period of the game when the substitution came, what was his job? Clutter up the midfield and stop Villa scoring from the edge of the D ... that worked as they did not score from the edge of the D. Our problems all came from corners and crosses, that's not just on Dier.

In the end we set out to create chances by bombarding their back four, it worked we created loads let's face it with some better finishing it could have been 3 - 7 ....

This was a good example of where Jose sacrifices his rigid principles to get a result ... our line-up screamed we're going to score one more than you, so did our substitutions ... Richard Jolly at the Daily Mail is a football illiterate he writes click-bait shit for idiots ... seems he found his mark.

Last edited:
Still far from his best of years past, but it was encouraging to see what was clearly an Eric Dier performance instead of the confused impostor that has seemingly been occupying his body for a season or more.

To the quote from that Guardian piece, an ex-footballer is exactly what he did NOT look like today, for the first time in awhile.

Back
Top Bottom