Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

All comps:

Rose - 21 APPEARANCES
Conceded: 14

Davies - 34 APPEARANCES
Conceded: 23

I only done the league originally because he mentioned the best defensive record in the league. Rose did play a part of it. He played pretty much half of our games and the same amount as Davies did.
He did play in the "bigger" harder games though.

Poch was all about rotating his FB's where he could and whilst he could Rose and Walker got the big games.

He did play in the "bigger" harder games though.

Poch was all about rotating his FB's where he could and whilst he could Rose and Walker got the big games.

Not entirely wrong at all. I think Poch knew Rose and Walker was the most dangerous aspect of our game and the majority of teams couldn't handle that width, power and pace especially the bigger clubs.

Its no surprise that with Walker leaving and Rose's injury problems aiding his decline, we haven't been anywhere near as dangerous or as good.

We were like the Mike Tyson of the Premier League during those two years. Struck fear into the eyes of our opponents before a ball was even kicked. Went for the knock out early on but ultimately we were flawed.

Rose was absolutely one, if not, my favourite Spurs player during his excellent run. But he has not been the same since late 2016. Thats a shame.

He’s probably correct that he’s not had the chances other players have had to prove themselves. But they’ve not been on the phone to the papers every week either.

The overall thought I had during his interview was that Danny sounds thick. I don’t think he realizes the effect his interviews have had on the club.

He has had the chance though. Every single day in training is a chance to show you are better than the others. It’s like Poch used to say (before he went off the deep end), the players are paid to train, not to play. If you can’t prove you are the best in training then why would you be selected ahead of others?

Not entirely wrong at all. I think Poch knew Rose and Walker was the most dangerous aspect of our game and the majority of teams couldn't handle that width, power and pace especially the bigger clubs.

Its no surprise that with Walker leaving and Rose's injury problems aiding his decline, we haven't been anywhere near as dangerous or as good.

We were like the Mike Tyson of the Premier League during those two years. Struck fear into the eyes of our opponents before a ball was even kicked. Went for the knock out early on but ultimately we were flawed.

Rose was absolutely one, if not, my favourite Spurs player during his excellent run. But he has not been the same since late 2016. Thats a shame.
Can’t remember which chelscum game but I remember both their opposite numbers getting subbed off

they didn’t just win their individual battles they destroyed them.

was impressive to see

I can understand why some might get annoyed with all the quotes in the media. For me anyways, none I can remember seriously 'crossed the line' of being disrespectful to the club, but that's a subjective opinion. Perhaps the worst one was the 'google' comment.

On balance I would much rather be thankful to him for the good performances and effort rather than spend the day moaning about the negatives.

We're Tottenham fans.

If we didn't moan about the negatives, we'd quickly run out of things to discuss.

Imo mourinho gave him a chance early doors

whatever one thinks of Jose. He’s no fool. He worked out danny was bad news and cut him out

Danny sees this as not being given a fair chance. He’s just not got the intellect to read between the lines

He has had the chance though. Every single day in training is a chance to show you are better than the others. It’s like Poch used to say (before he went off the deep end), the players are paid to train, not to play. If you can’t prove you are the best in training then why would you be selected ahead of others?

Hard to judge it on that though under a new manager.

Rose started 12 of the 16 games Poch managed this season before he got sacked. One of the games he missed was Colchester when he was rested, another was when he had a yellow card suspension. So really, he only missed 2 true first team games.

Mourinho comes in and he starts just 3 of the 17 games Mourinho has managed. 2 of which were in the Champions League.

So had his training levels dropped since Poch was sacked? Or was Poch just playing him because he does have his preferred favourites and was too stubborn to drop Rose?

We could all see Rose no longer had it, wasn't really committed, run down the club and didn't want to be here. Mourinho saw it and dropped him from the squad. Poch saw it and refused to act.

Can’t remember which chelscum game but I remember both their opposite numbers getting subbed off

was impressive to see

That was when we beat them 2-0.

One of only two times we managed to play our full strength team all season.

D0edkr3X4AAHDBS

The other time?

We smashed West Brom 4-0.

Soon after this, we lost Rose to injury for the season. Dembele started to break down and Walker wanted to leave.

Our bench round about this time? Trippier, Davies, Sissoko, Son and Winks mostly.

Sums up some problems we had over the next few years. When your subs are becoming your first team starters and not a true improvement, you're always going to go downhill.

That was when we beat them 2-0.

One of only two times we managed to play our full strength team all season.

D0edkr3X4AAHDBS

The other time?

We smashed West Brom 4-0.

Soon after this, we lost Rose to injury for the season. Dembele started to break down and Walker wanted to leave.

Our bench round about this time? Trippier, Davies, Sissoko, Son and Winks mostly.

Sums up some problems we had over the next few years. When your subs are becoming your first team starters and not a true improvement, you're always going to go downhill.
Great post

what a brilliant fucking team that was

was impressive to see
Achieved primarily because they were rotated so extensively. Not only did this elevate their intensity in their game (Rose and Walker) but Davies's game too! I deliberately didn't include Tripps here as I don't think he ever dominated his opposite number (but happy to admit any confirmation bias I hold).

One of the most underrated players in all this though was Davies. Once Rose got his knee injury, Davies played every game! That in itself meant he had to manage his output, there was no rotation which impacts on his recovery and what he takes into the next game. I posted on here a while ago that since Davies arrived (14/15) at the club he has played to date 22 games more than Rose.

I liken Rose to that of Sissoko, I don't think Danny is a particularly technical footballer, like Sissoko his main attribute is his physicality. He will run over the top of his opposite number and do this for the entire 90mins. Best example I can think when he's up against a far better technical player but utterly destroys them over the course of the game was every time he came up against Belerin against Woolich. The early exchanges you would see both of them attacking each other, Belerin would usually have the better of him in the first 10mins or so, where he was capable of dribbling past him, or linking up well with one and two touches with his midfield. But then Rose would simply never stop, relentlessly running at him and as every min past Belerin would be pinned further and further back, if he did attack he was unable to cover back the space he left. Game over.

For me his best contribution following his injury was against Ajax in the first leg. We were getting completely outplayed, Ajax was brilliant, so intense and we simply couldn't live with them. It was Rose that stood up that game and got in their faces, gave them the game they didn't want. Foul after foul followed (drawing them in our favour too) crunching tackles, pure physicality/brutality, no skill, just brute force. He turned that game around for us IMO.

Surely done at Spurs - only question should be is which club does he go to in the summer and d we get much of a fee (he has 12 months left on his contract at that point).

Our left back options after he goes will be Davies, Sessegnon and Cirkin, with cover available from Tanganga.

Davies is Mr Reliable

Sessegnon is Mr Unknown at the moment - only a few games so far due to an injury racked start to the season, but hopefully he will start to play more regularly and show he can become a PL regular. Still only 19 which is young to be playing in PL.

Cirkin still only 18, Mr 'Up and Coming' , physically well developed, one of best FB's we've seen coming through Spurs youth. We might see the odd cameo this season but I think we'll see a lot in preseason.

We will have a number of priorities to replace players in the summer, so unless there is a top LB available at a bargain price, wouldn't surprise me if the above are our options next season.

Yeah, he will feel that's the case, he will think that he's good and that he deserves to play. There's nothing wrong with having this mentality.

Lying to himself (denial if you prefer)... Making excuses....? Nothing wrong with that mentality?

Maybe it is good for him personally to do so, but why would any right-minded fan of the club his comments cast negatively sit back and buy into this false sentiment?(*)

I don't understand your position at all, but hey ho....

Imagine Jose admitting just how shite we are playing right now.

JM is obliged to do pre & post match pressers and understandably chooses to (publically at least) highlight the positives rather than point out the negatives... His remit is completely different.

(*As per above, are you sitting here saying that we ARE playing sexy champaign football? No; far from it so why would one do this in the case of Rose.... Some are.)

All comps:

Rose - 21 APPEARANCES

Davies - 34 APPEARANCES

I only done the league originally because he mentioned the best defensive record in the league. Rose did play a part of it. He played pretty much half of our games and the same amount as Davies did.

A couple of pages back I dug out the injury dates. "The same amount" would be an exaggeration but fair play.....

Apps:

Davis 62%
Rose 38%

Conceeded:

Davis 62%
Rose 38% (Spooky!)

So there was no dip in performance at LB.... Yet Davies is constantly viewed as inferior even though performing at the same level as Danny's peak.

I've been told previously when pointing out Ben's contribution to that season that in fact it was all down to Vic & Dembele protecting the back-line to an elite level; so it seems one way or another any credit in the offing comes with a caveat one way or another.

Last edited:
All comps:

Rose - 21 APPEARANCES

Davies - 34 APPEARANCES

Both played 18 games then, Rose a part of 10 wins, Davies 15. I'd suggest by these numbers that Davies played a more integral part to our success with a win percentage of 50% more than Danny boy

Both played 18 games then, Rose a part of 10 wins, Davies 15. I'd suggest by these numbers that Davies played a more integral part to our success with a win percentage of 50% more than Danny boy

One way or another Ben gets a ridiculously raw deal just because Mane & Sane each once roasted him for pace few years back.

Back
Top Bottom