Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Achieved primarily because they were rotated so extensively. Not only did this elevate their intensity in their game (Rose and Walker) but Davies's game too! I deliberately didn't include Tripps here as I don't think he ever dominated his opposite number (but happy to admit any confirmation bias I hold).

One of the most underrated players in all this though was Davies. Once Rose got his knee injury, Davies played every game! That in itself meant he had to manage his output, there was no rotation which impacts on his recovery and what he takes into the next game. I posted on here a while ago that since Davies arrived (14/15) at the club he has played to date 22 games more than Rose.

I liken Rose to that of Sissoko, I don't think Danny is a particularly technical footballer, like Sissoko his main attribute is his physicality. He will run over the top of his opposite number and do this for the entire 90mins. Best example I can think when he's up against a far better technical player but utterly destroys them over the course of the game was every time he came up against Belerin against Woolich. The early exchanges you would see both of them attacking each other, Belerin would usually have the better of him in the first 10mins or so, where he was capable of dribbling past him, or linking up well with one and two touches with his midfield. But then Rose would simply never stop, relentlessly running at him and as every min past Belerin would be pinned further and further back, if he did attack he was unable to cover back the space he left. Game over.

For me his best contribution following his injury was against Ajax in the first leg. We were getting completely outplayed, Ajax was brilliant, so intense and we simply couldn't live with them. It was Rose that stood up that game and got in their faces, gave them the game they didn't want. Foul after foul followed (drawing them in our favour too) crunching tackles, pure physicality/brutality, no skill, just brute force. He turned that game around for us IMO.

Agreed and bringing Sissoko on also helped

Anything notable behind that belief? ......Afterall, he was still injured at that point and wasn't declared available again until October '17.
Referenced constantly by Jack Pitt-Brooke of then Independent and now The Athletic.

It was widely reported of Chavs interest but think most of us just wrote it off as paper speculation, I know I did. But JBP references that interest was genuine today โ€ŽThe View From The Lane: A show about Tottenham: A Mourinho Masterclass? on Apple Podcasts

Referenced constantly by Jack Pitt-Brooke of then Independent and now The Athletic.

It was widely reported of Chavs interest but think most of us just wrote it off as paper speculation, I know I did. But JBP references that interest was genuine today โ€ŽThe View From The Lane: A show about Tottenham: A Mourinho Masterclass? on Apple Podcasts

"Interest" for the Chavs doesn't mean he was up for sale tho'.

"I mean he's been transfer listed for the past 6(?) transfer windows."

I can understand why some might get annoyed with all the quotes in the media. For me anyways, none I can remember seriously 'crossed the line' of being disrespectful to the club, but that's a subjective opinion. Perhaps the worst one was the 'google' comment.

It's the general act of going to bat for yourself in the media and undermining the any sense of harmony that may exist inside the club. It also risks any impacting on the perceived value of a player should it become necessary to sell them.

As a matter of principal, respect & professionalism; just don't do it.

On balance I would much rather be thankful to him for the good performances and effort rather than spend the day moaning about the negatives.

Save for a couple of occasions; he's been shite since he returned in Oct '17.... Yet has continued to vent in the media and even now is still playing the victim whilst on loan at another club.

I'd rather concern myself with what is best for the club than sentimentally pander to a spoiled millionaire that shows little respect for me or us.

That was when we beat them 2-0.

One of only two times we managed to play our full strength team all season.

D0edkr3X4AAHDBS

The other time?

We smashed West Brom 4-0.

Soon after this, we lost Rose to injury for the season. Dembele started to break down and Walker wanted to leave.

Our bench round about this time? Trippier, Davies, Sissoko, Son and Winks mostly.

Sums up some problems we had over the next few years. When your subs are becoming your first team starters and not a true improvement, you're always going to go downhill.
That was the most complete team I've seen since '87, IMO. They complemented each other perfectly and it's a crying shame we never won a trophy with these players. Still, they gave us some magical moments and our last season at WHL will live long in the memory.

Last edited:
That was when we beat them 2-0.

One of only two times we managed to play our full strength team all season.

D0edkr3X4AAHDBS

The other time?

We smashed West Brom 4-0.

Soon after this, we lost Rose to injury for the season. Dembele started to break down and Walker wanted to leave.

Our bench round about this time? Trippier, Davies, Sissoko, Son and Winks mostly.

Sums up some problems we had over the next few years. When your subs are becoming your first team starters and not a true improvement, you're always going to go downhill.

Yet, on-thread; as we've already conclusively evidenced; Rose getting injured didn't impact negatively on the pitch at all.

U what?

You said:

"....he's been transfer listed for the past 6(?) transfer windows."

Yet your evidence of this was a report that Chavs were interested.
Mate, Jack Pitt-Brooke has said he was transfer listed, written about it and has spoken about it on many occasions. I've attached their latest pod where he brings it up, it's also on at least two Tiffo podcasts. I believe Stafford-Bloor has also confirmed the same.

If you have an issue with this, that's fine but take it up with them. It's where I'm getting it from.

That was the most complete team I've seen since '87, IMO. They complemented each other perfectly and it's a crying shame we never won a trophy with these players. Still, they gave some magical moments and our last season at WHL will live long in the memory.
Agree completely with this. Weโ€™ve played some smashing football since then but we have never been as balanced since losing Walker.

Mate, Jack Pitt-Brooke has said he was transfer listed, written about it and has spoken about it on many occasions. I've attached their latest pod where he brings it up, it's also on at least two Tiffo podcasts. I believe Stafford-Bloor has also confirmed the same.

If you have an issue with this, that's fine but take it up with them. It's where I'm getting it from.

Your last post didn't say that though; it only alluded to Chavs interest.

(I took your post on face value. Nothing suggested I needed to scour through a 36min podcast for a comment your post hadn't alluded to.)

Why wasn't he sold at the time then in your estimation? Makes no sense.

I think Tangaga is fantastic but hasn't been too great when at LB, he's stuck at it and makes his opposite number work but has by and large been hung out to dry and lost most of his individual duels (this isn't a criticism of him, just what I think is reality of an LB performance in isolation without the context of his age and that it isn't his position).

I think Aurier is good at defending, no worse than Davies but Davies clearly far better suited to 3 at the back as has played CB many times previously, especially for Wales and Swansea.

I don't believe Mourhino shares your confidence in Aurier's defending any more than I do.

He has a sadly well known reputation for making defensive errors which is why Mourhino plays him far forward so as to maximise his attacking qualities and minimising the risk when he makes his defensive bloopers - the 'funniest' (but saddest given we are talking about a professional defender) being when he went into the Bayern half to try to get a Bayern player offside, Bayern player was polite enough to say thank you as he raced past to score a goal.

And as I say its those traits which are now determining the rest of the defensive set up.

Your last post didn't say that though; it only alluded to Chavs interest.

(I took your post on face value. Nothing suggested I needed to scour through a 36min podcast for a comment your post hadn't alluded to.)

Why wasn't he sold at the time then in your estimation? Makes no sense.
JPB and others have said he was "transfer-listed" this is where I got it from so I am repeating it.

I don't know why he wasn't sold, mate. Price not right? Rose didn't want to go? Chavs wait for his injury to heal? As I said I recall the reports at the time, I thought nothing of it as pure clickbait or pure speculation, plus thought it odd they would buy a player with knee ligament damage.

I don't believe Mourhino shares your confidence in Aurier's defending any more than I do.

He has a sadly well known reputation for making defensive errors which is why Mourhino plays him far forward so as to maximise his attacking qualities and minimising the risk when he makes his defensive bloopers - the 'funniest' (but saddest given we are talking about a professional defender) being when he went into the Bayern half to try to get a Bayern player offside, Bayern player was polite enough to say thank you as he raced past to score a goal.

And as I say its those traits which are now determining the rest of the defensive set up.
I hear all the stick he gets, I think it's completely unfair. No different than Toby or Jan diving in, getting beat for pace, losing 1v1s. Happens almost every single game they play.

Yet, on-thread; as we've already conclusively evidenced; Rose getting injured didn't impact negatively on the pitch at all.

The players on the bench becoming first team starters was the problem.

Not specifically Rose getting injured.

I hear all the stick he gets, I think it's completely unfair. No different than Toby or Jan diving in, getting beat for pace, losing 1v1s. Happens almost every single game they play.

Disagree, the number of times we've seen him do completely stupid things - brainfart whatever you want to call them - means he's a liability in defence, without the excuse of age/slowness that Jan/Toby has,

Jose has also said he thinks Aurier can be the best in the league. 'Confidence play' you may suggest, but if JM does lack faith in Aurier or wanted to play more defensively down that flank (as you suggest) then I think it's safe to say he'll phase Serge out in favour of Tanganga over the coming weeks.

My money is on that not happening.

The players on the bench becoming first team starters was the problem.

Not specifically Rose getting injured.

That doesn't ring true of Ben though, so just not sure where it's relevant to Rose and the discussions surrounding him....

(Sorry, if I'm not aware of some sub-debate or another.)

Back
Top Bottom