West Ham Knuckle Dragging Pikeys v Tottenham Hotspur. Sat 23rd November 12-30 : Live from Billy Smart’s Circus Tent.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

OK.

He's just been kicked. I'll give him a pass.

He's just been kicked. Alli is available. Not Dier's fault that Moura is offside.

What Dier does here is exactly the kind of thing that drives me mad. We have a corner, and Dier turns and passes back to Aurier, putting our defence under unnecessary pressure.

We had just been defending a set-piece. The issue here was reorganising our defensive line after dealing with the initial threat. But I think I know the type of thing you are on about.

Anyway, I have told you 1,000,000 times that I really dislike him as a player. But you have dementia, and keep forgetting.

My initial point was that Dier was not the reason we ended up defending deep.

Dier is also coming back from injury lay offs and will improve

Jose tried to buy him and Toby in the past so will persevere with him for a while yet

You clearly don't understand superstitions.
The only thing that works is NOT going with your superstitions, so as your new superstition is to drink from your Spurs mugs, you MUSTN'T DO IT.
But now that I've explained it to you and you realise that your new superstition is TO USE THE MUGS, you mustn't use them.
Get it?

...This will have to carry on right up to kick off (kind of like an extended 'she loves me, she loves me not').
🤪

Yep strange because we didn’t win anything.
Don’t remember the media or many fans hyperventilating with grief when we sacked Redknapp

I do however have 'fond' memories of "who's best; him or his replacement" dragging on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on... Even when both had been gone for a year or two....

Halcyon days revisited: incoming. :pochcry:

Better still: Arry v AVB v Poch v Jose fatal four way anyone? :angryscouser:

Come on Steve, I'm no apologist for Poch, I wanted him gone, but we've been here before this season, where we've played pretty well for a half, an hour or even 70 minutes (Palace, Leicester, Southampton, even Bayern was good for 40 minutes eg) and then capitulated. We coughed up two goals today to a team in even worse form and confidence than us.

As I said, I think Mourinho simplified things a tad, the format, the approach and the personnel - that's good - and everyone upped the effort a few percent as you'd expect for the new gaffer, that's good - but other than that it wasn't vastly different to some other games we've seen, it still had tropes we've seen for while - a midfield that went a bit awol (offensively and defensively) at the first sign of pressure increased, an attack that stopped pressing, and a frailty all over.

And that's normal, I don't expect all those things to disappear over night, or even in a month or two, but we'll get some idea in a couple of months whether these issues are really being solved, whether that extra effort becomes standard, and if we do see that over a period of time, I'l happily jump aboard the suck each other off fest.

I'm not going to temper my desire to see what I think is a better equipped young player who's spent 10 years learning a specific position to given some time to develop. I think if Pochettino had not lost his bollocks where this is concerned, there's a good chance he'd still be in the job.

I'm not daft enough to think that Mourinho was going to pick Skipp today or even in the next few weeks, but that doesn't stop me thinking he'd be a better 6 than the likes of Dier and Sissoko with a couple of games under his belt. And if I'm still watching Sissoko and Dier there in 3 months time, chances are I'll feel the same about Mourinho doing it as I did Poch.
Not temper your desire but your expectations after one game and 3 days at the club. As you say it's gonna take a while for Jose to work things out with both established players and the youth coming through.

Personally I'd like us to get a proper 6 in as soon as possible and have Skipp as the understudy. I think the first part will happen, I'm not convinced the second part will though as it's not something he's done very often. Maybe Levy will force his hand.

I'm not sucking off yesterday at all but it was a little bit better, we won and more importantly we deserved to. We've been drawing or losing to shit teams for quite some time remember. Confidence has been low due to results and that creates a habit psychologically, that trend needs to be reversed, yesterday was hopefully a beginning. I thought he'd start Dier and I'm glad he did, not because I think he's the answer but because he recognized Moussa isn't the answer. That's progress in itself surely?

Forgot the obligatory Winks celebration pic...

EKKEv0vWsAIGATt

Look, I'd rather Dier out there as a DM than Sissoko, because he at least has a better game reading brain and does some of the simple stuff better, and Sissoko actively hides even more than Dier does, even under no pressure at times.

Maybe Dier's issues will be less emphasised under a more pragmatic approach of Mourinho than a more expansive and tactically challenging Pochettino, but still not my idea of a real midfielder, especially not a CM2 which asks it's components to be really rounded.
"What made me [start Winks and Dier] was the positional play of the four attacking players," Mourinho told BBC Sport. "I needed one midfielder that was more positional and I needed one midfielder that was more a passer of the ball.

"Of course, when I see Moussa, he is a very good player, but he is very different than my needs. I need that stability from Dier and I need the kid to move the ball faster, also positionally and also to find the attacking players in the positions we want them to find the ball."

Just realised that I inadvertently broke one of my superstitions yesterday, and we still won :)
(in case you're interested, it's the one that I don't use my Spurs mug on match days..... and I had actually used both! Know what I'm going to do next weekend)
I went full on Spurs merch mental. Slippers, lounge pants, dressing gown, retro shirt, 2 x pin badge, scarf, baseball cap, and beer in a Spurs pint glass. It started as a joke, can't believe I've got to turn up at the stadium like that on Tuesday.

Last edited:
I went full on Spurs merch mental. Slippers, lounge pants, dressing gown, retro shirt, 2 x pin badge, scarf, baseball cap, and beer in a Spurs pint glass. It started as a joke, can't believe I've got to tirn up at the stadium like that on Tuesday.
Wear a pink carnation just so people can recognise you.

"What made me [start Winks and Dier] was the positional play of the four attacking players," Mourinho told BBC Sport. "I needed one midfielder that was more positional and I needed one midfielder that was more a passer of the ball.

"Of course, when I see Moussa, he is a very good player, but he is very different than my needs. I need that stability from Dier and I need the kid to move the ball faster, also positionally and also to find the attacking players in the positions we want them to find the ball."

Sissoko = our 'Fellaini' from here on in. I think JM will warm to what he can bring from the bench (See CL at home to City).

Afternoon all...

I've only seen the motd highlights rather than the full game but have seen a couple of mentions of us playing more 'long balls' than previously. From what I have seen it looked like we were happy to play a pass that bypassed the midfield if it was on, as opposed to lumping it long looking for the knock down.

Anyone that's seen the full match confirm/deny?
Yes there were long balls in the first half, but more importantly, we were on fire, sparking flames. The passing was quick and incisive and the closing down was sharper. It was like looking at the Spurs team at the height of Poch's heyday. Balls weren't constantly being passed sideways. There were accurate, insightful balls going in all directions, including devastatingly through the middle. Attackers (especially Moura & Son) were moving around the pitch and bamboozling West Ham. Dele seemed alert and energetic, just like the old days. It was good to watch.

Having said that, the pikeys did their best to make us look good. They were dismal.

Back
Top Bottom