Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In his first couple seasons, it was very clear that Dele had two strengths: energy/pressing, and quality finishing. He's never been great with the ball at his feet.

The last year or so, his finishing has become poor, partly due to his own form, partly because we're not creating as many chances. He also doesn't press like a madman like he used...again partly his own fault, but also because we're not pressing well as a team.

In his first couple seasons, it was very clear that Dele had two strengths: energy/pressing, and quality finishing. He's never been great with the ball at his feet.

The last year or so, his finishing has become poor, partly due to his own form, partly because we're not creating as many chances. He also doesn't press like a madman like he used...again partly his own fault, but also because we're not pressing well as a team.

Don't agree.

The bloke has had injuries but he has lost his hunger.

At one point it was how will we keep him. Now he can't even get into the England squad.

He needs to look hard into the mirror.

Yes he had a poor 2018/19 season and hasn't showed much this season so far.
It seems Poch showed faith in him last season but not anymore.

Why are you selecting and posting only negative shit that you can get your hands on?

Just a couple of Tweets that you have clearly read, skipped and decided not to post, clearly you did this because these Tweets are from exactly the same people you selected the negative stuff on.

The lad is 23yrs old!! Please give me a list of other 23yrs olds who have played as many top-flight games, scored and assisted as many goals as him. This list will no doubt take some time to produce as well consist of scores of players, I'll wait.

Last edited:
Why are you selecting and posting only negative shit that you can get your hands on?

Just a couple of Tweets that you have clearly read, skipped and decided not to post, clearly you did this because these Tweets are from exactly the same people you selected the negative stuff on.

The lad is 23yrs old!! Please give me a list of other 23yrs olds who have played as many top-flight games, scored and assisted as many goals as him. This list will no doubt take some time to produce as well consist of score of players, I'll wait.

I agree with you generally. I think we should not write off Dele.
I have my doubts about how/why would he start blossoming again under Poch (he will support, defend and pick him whatever happens) but I think under another coach, some fresh perspective, feedback and instructions he has every chance to regain the form.

Though this point of yours "who has done XX and YY by age 23 or 21" is absolutely and 100% irrelevant. Players developement curves are different. And some might as well be still bench-players at 21 and go step by step, become better and play until being 35. Others can peak at 21 and be finished by 26. So it does not make anyone better or worse what they have done by some random age number. By the end of 2005-2006 Ronaldo had only scored 32 goals during his career and he was 21. Mbappe has 89 goals and he has few months to go to his 21st bday. So what? Does that mean that Mbappe was, is and always will be 3x the player that Ronaldo was and is? Or well, can it be just that he was early bloomer and his greatness comparison to Ronnie could wait until both of them have finished their careers? I personally believe the 1st option to be true.

I agree with you generally. I think we should not write off Dele.
I have my doubts about how/why would he start blossoming again under Poch (he will support, defend and pick him whatever happens) but I think under another coach, some fresh perspective, feedback and instructions he has every chance to regain the form.

Though this point of yours "who has done XX and YY by age 23 or 21" is absolutely and 100% irrelevant. Players developement curves are different. And some might as well be still bench-players at 21 and go step by step, become better and play until being 35. Others can peak at 21 and be finished by 26. So it does not make anyone better or worse what they have done by some random age number. By the end of 2005-2006 Ronaldo had only scored 32 goals during his career and he was 21. Mbappe has 89 goals and he has few months to go to his 21st bday. So what? Does that mean that Mbappe was, is and always will be 3x the player that Ronaldo was and is? Or well, can it be just that he was early bloomer and his greatness comparison to Ronnie could wait until both of them have finished their careers? I personally believe the 1st option to be true.
The age reference is entirely relevant given that it's commonplace for young players to dip in and out of form. Many factors that influence this but IMO just isolating for a moment the top players in this bracket (young players playing in top teams that contest title races, semi-finals, cup finals, their Snr International side) there are two:
1. Having to learn new facets to their game whilst still learning their core ones. With the level of analysis available to opposition scouts, players have to evolve or else they are nullified through tactics, be that doubling up on a player or cutting the supply to him etc..
Dele has played at the left of a diamond, the base of a diamond, at the tip of a diamond, as 2nd striker as main striker and as a number 10, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-4-1, 4-3-3, 3-5-2 are just the formations we've deployed under Poch the last 5yrs. Within these formations and positions, he's been asked to perform different functions from leading the press, to having to drop deeper in a mid-block as we dropped our high-press lat 2 seasons.
2. Doing this as a young man, in the spotlight of the Worlds media. Imagine George Best in today's game, he would have drunk himself to death by 24, IMO no way he would have made it under today's 24/7 spectrum of social media (he was 28 when he left Man U already serious questions about him had been asked from the age of 25yrs old, just 1yr older than Dele is now!!!).

Loads more nuanced reasons and many we will never know about but are simple as just turning from boy to man is as simplistic as it comes. Just splitting up with a serious relationship might affect something, and if it affects Jonny from accounts or Jack the chippy then it also effects Dele the superstar footballer.

I'm hoping that him being dropped by Southgate could have a positive effect. I hope that Southgate gave him a call and explained in detail what he expects, and that this gives Dele the motivation needed to kick on again.

Well this is what happens when most people including the manager ignore the warning signs.

Should have been dropped 18 months ago but everyone wanted to “play him to form”.

Now the experts all pick up on it so it’s official. Dele has been poor.

Can’t understand why people can’t just trust their own eyes

Has tendencies of the Pogba sadly for us but underneath he has that grit and determination

Needs to get that killer instinct back and not fall down the style over substance trap door

As usual - before it was fashionable, yes he has had injuries but has not been the same player for some time

like Eriksen or Toby, what I don’t understand is if they someday want the Madrid call why don’t they play their best like Bale did week after week, then you get to go!!

Sulking doesn’t get you 300k a week

It would be foolish to write Dele off, we know what he is capable of. Returning to form is down to him, he needs to reach peak physical condition and put all his energy into helping Tottenham win matches.

If he does those things I have no doubt he will get back on track. If he's more interested in selling clothes and posting Instagram stories with his bae, then he's going to be playing for West Ham in the near future.

Dele has always looked like a confidence player to me.
Never will posses bursting pace to run at players, and relies on skill / tricks to beat men.
Confidence is shot - so is the player.

Once his confidence is back, he will be firing again.
It could be a long road though as he naturally moves away from the youthful confidence he used to posses.
They always talk about Spurs and the soft centre, weak mentality etc etc, Dele used to have fire in him but due to constant media attention to it we dialled him in a few degrees and as a result we just created another weak minded player.......Did anyone ever dial in Roy Keane? Eric Cantona? Paul Scholes? In their careers? Nope.
Born winners throughout their careers and the dial was never turned down, Ferguson wouldn’t dream of it.

Like Bentley
No not like Bentley. If Dele never kicked a ball again he'd still deserve to be talked about as a signifiant even great tottenham player. If he recovers his past form he will be close to legendary player. If he improves on past form he will be known as world class player. I did a quick exercise and he is currently on the same goals per game ratio as gazza. So no not like Bentley at all. To be honest sammyspurs sammyspurs I expect more from you than this sort of lazy denigration.

Dele Games 184 Goals 53 GPG .29
Gazza Games 112 goals 33 GPG .29

Last edited:
No not like Bentley. If Dele never kicked a ball again he'd still deserve to be talked about as a signifiant even great tottenham player. If he recovers his past form he will be close to legendary player. If he improves on past form he will be known as world class player. I did a quick exercise and he is currently on the same goals per game ratio as gazza. So no not like Bentley at all. To be honest sammyspurs sammyspurs I expect more from you than this sort of lazy denigration.

Dele Games 184 Goals 53 GPG .29
Gazza Games 112 goals 33 GPG .29

Excellent for a couple seasons and shite for a couple seasons with zero signs of an upward swing or that he even cares.

If you backed Trippier and Dier and Wanyama unreservedly then you can preach about backing Dele

Well this is what happens when most people including the manager ignore the warning signs.

Should have been dropped 18 months ago but everyone wanted to “play him to form”.

Now the experts all pick up on it so it’s official. Dele has been poor.

Can’t understand why people can’t just trust their own eyes
Sorry, what!? Who?!?

Chris Iwelumo, I've NEVER heard of him in my life, just had to google him, nope, never heard of him in my life, is now classed as an expert!!!

:dembelelol:

He also thinks Sol Campbel is an "excellent manager". It's official, Sol Campbell is an excellent manager, debate settled, "expert" has spoken and spilt the beans, we can all go home now.

Sorry, what!? Who?!?

Chris Iwelumo, I've NEVER heard of him in my life, just had to google him, nope, never heard of him in my life, is now classed as an expert!!!

:dembelelol:

He also thinks Sol Campbel is an "excellent manager". It's official, Sol Campbell is an excellent manager, debate settled, "expert" has spoken and spilt the beans, we can all go home now.

Thats my point.

No one listened to us fans 2 yrs ago who had major concerns about Dele.....but they´ll listen to some no name journo who picks up on Dele being off form a week after he´s dropped from England, as if thats insight.

I asked earlier and only two replied. Where were you all last season or in 2017 when you were claiming there was nithing wrong with Dele. Like Eriksen....now all of a sudden, its an accepted mantra that both have been shite.

Back
Top Bottom