Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I fancy that the case and Winks plays a more offensive role in the team he needs to start chipping in with assists and goals. My question is has he got that in him despite his clear footballing ability?
You really don't in a 4-3-3 if your forwards score a lot, which ours do. Barcelona are the best example of a successful 4-3-3 and Xavi never got goals and assists. In this example, Skipp is Busquets, Winks is Xavi and Ndombele is Iniesta. Then we've got Kane, Son and Lucas as our Messi, Suarez and Neymar.

You really don't in a 4-3-3 if your forwards score a lot, which ours do. Barcelona are the best example of a successful 4-3-3 and Xavi never got goals and assists. In this example, Skipp is Busquets, Winks is Xavi and Ndombele is Iniesta. Then we've got Kane, Son and Lucas as our Messi, Suarez and Neymar.

Good point but do Kane, Sonny and Lucas have the quality to make stuff happen like the Barca boys do? That for me means we can't have a like for like with a lack of goals and assists from midfield. Either that or we badly need to invest in a higher quality of fullback.

I like Winks, I just see a gaping DM hole that could be plugged if we were to make the simply decision to drop him for Dier at this moment in time.

Good point but do Kane, Sonny and Lucas have the quality to make stuff happen like the Barca boys do? That for me means we can't have a like for like with a lack of goals and assists from midfield. Either that or we badly need to invest in a higher quality of fullback.

I like Winks, I just see a gaping DM hole that could be plugged if we were to make the simply decision to drop him for Dier at this moment in time.
That's what we bought Ndombele for. He's going to have to step up at some point.

That's what we bought Ndombele for. He's going to have to step up at some point.

I dunno mate. I really like Winks I just have this nagging feeling he isn't good enough to rely on week in, week out if we want to continue being a top 4 club.

Time will tell. He has a wonderful little talent but is it enough for the levels a club like ours now requires? The same has to be said of others like Walker-Peters, Foyth, Sanchez etc. It's early days in all of their careers but I think all of them need to imporove or we end up building a squad geared for 6th rather than 4th. Just how I'm dissecting it as it goes along.

I fancy that the case and Winks plays a more offensive role in the team he needs to start chipping in with assists and goals. My question is has he got that in him despite his clear footballing ability?

I watched Fabinho for Liverpool earlier, without doubt we require someone like him. Could Sissoko offer that with his physique perhaps? He'd have to change his mindset a fair bit but he definitely has the physical attributes to cover the areas Fabinho does.

If Winks were to play in a midfield 3 he'd need to offer more. I love the kid but his goals and assists ability I really ain't too sold on.

Sissoko could play that role IMO. Quick and physical. But I think Skipp has more of a innate skillset for it and has far better passing range.

Think we may have over hyped Winks he's good and worth having in the squad but he's never going to be instrumental in a side with a serious chance in major comps.

It's easy to get carried away when it's one of your own, we as a fanbase got carried away with Tom Carroll to a lesser extent.

He takes far too many touches before he passes it. He doesn't seem to have a picture in his head of where his team mates are before he controls the ball.

I think that this applies to far too much of our attacking prowess and play. Few too many of our boys take that extra touch and don't seem to know what their teammates are and should be doing without even taking a look. I think our lack of attacking intelligence and understanding of those around them leaves us with that constant hill to climb.

One touch football on the agenda in training, give and go, dummies, I'd like to see sharper minds instead of the whole the balls at my feet now, what are we going to do next stuff we see at the moment. I think you're right, Winksy needs to work on his distribution speed and his 360 awareness

One touch football on the agenda in training, give and go, dummies, I'd like to see sharper minds instead of the whole the balls at my feet now, what are we going to do next stuff we see at the moment.
Everything you said is on the money but it hasn't happened in 5 years of Poch's management, and it never will. I think he is absolutely shite at coaching that side of the game.

I watched Fabinho for Liverpool earlier, without doubt we require someone like him. Could Sissoko offer that with his physique perhaps?

Absolutely fucking not.

If Winks were to play in a midfield 3 he'd need to offer more. I love the kid but his goals and assists ability I really ain't too sold on.

To be fair to Winks, he's never really been played as an 8 in a CM3 with a decent 6 sitting behind him. He actually ended the game Saturday as an 8 with Wanyama as the central 6, but it's too small a sample to judge. He did really well in the build up to the penalty at Arse, showed tenacity to win the ball then composure in the final third to pick out Son. There's evidence he has the tools to be a half decent 8 in the right set up, I just think we have two even better potential 8's in that system in Ndombele and Locelso and there's Skipp coming through with more potential too.

I watched Fabinho for Liverpool earlier, without doubt we require someone like him. Could Sissoko offer that with his physique perhaps? He'd have to change his mindset a fair bit but he definitely has the physical attributes to cover the areas Fabinho does.
Unfortunately Fabinho is also a player with good vision and a decent passer of the ball so...

Back
Top Bottom