Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

H
Winks is not a good DM, he is not strong enough in the tackle, he doesn't sense where the danger is going to be, spends too much energy shadow chasing the ball around our third of the pitch
He was absolutely shocking tonight and i normally love the guy a player you can look at and say he can play. But he was fucking terrible

How many times must we tell all the folk on here that Winks will never be at the level we require to really compete? Time to be serious and bring in an actual DM like Partey or Diawara in

Pretty decent season so far, but tonight was terrible. Hopefully he will show v Watford again what he is capable of (shouldn't play on Saturday at Brighton).
Honestly people keep saying he's been good but we've been dog shit all season and he's been a non entity in midfield as well

I think a lot of fans look past his weaknesses out of fondness due to the homegrown aspect. If he wasn't our guy he'd never be cut this much slack.

The solo voice that says he is a lovely player.

Today was by far his worst game in our shirt. He looked like what one would expect of Skipp, not the kid that bossed Real Madrid. Slow on the ball and rather careless when given time. Just a really poor outing from the lad.

Unfortunately for him, he is being asked to do what he has not trained to do. He has performed rather well barring the fact he isn't a DM and he is being asked to play as one.

The midfield three could work. Its just that we have one player that is rather poor in trapping the ball off the back line in Sissoko and one out-of-shape player in Ndombele. That leaves Winks as the main distributor of the ball as well as the main cover for a very open side.

I don't know the stats, but I would not be surprised if he has one of the largest swaths of land to cover on our team and he is the only midfielder that looks like he can complete a full 90.

I still really like Winks and want him to be a part of our squad, but that was maybe his worst performance for us in some time. He read some things well defensively but some really poor giveaways ultimately put us under a lot of pressure.

Why does everything have to be 'he's shit' or 'he's the English Xavi' depending on if he has a good or bad game or not? Some of the opinions on here just fluctuate game to game, he had a shocker tonight but of course that will happen over the season and he was no worse than a few others. We actually fell to bits after he came off (mainly because we had nobody sitting deep and doing the dirty work) when we tried to go all out.

This diamond formation is not going to go until he is dropped.

Ndombele starts every week. Then we need a defensive presence. Winks is not that.

Sadly this is probably very accurate and right.

It's not that Winks is a bad player, he's a classy little member of the team it's more the accommodating of him that leaves me feeling he's a weak link.

It's tough as I really like him but for where we are at I think we rely on him too much. It doesn't sit well with me that we start him as frequently as we do.

Both doesn't seem ruthless enough in his decision making. Inget the impression he likes a lot of our players but can't pull the trigger on where to trim the fat. Do we really feel a midfield consisting of Winks, Dier, Sissoko, Wanyama and Skipp making up 5/6s of our options is strong enough for where we are at these days? Poch needs to be stern with it, he needs to trust that he only needs a couple of that lot an drew much like Lamela being kept on, it only prevents us from adding further quality in areas that haven't no added or done enough whilst being with us.

Love Winksy but he shouldn't be gwtting as many starts as he does. We shouldn't he using him like City use Gundogan and if he develops and takes his chances as he's gets older then he cements his place. At the moment he needs more competition and our team needs more quality, just a little more than he gives us and what we get.

Honestly people keep saying he's been good but we've been dog shit all season and he's been a non entity in midfield as well

I think a lot of fans look past his weaknesses out of fondness due to the homegrown aspect. If he wasn't our guy he'd never be cut this much slack.
Its that 'youth' and 'one of our own' thing that makes people think he is better than he really is.

Back
Top Bottom