Poch out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch out?

• Yes

Votes: 161 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 275 63.1%

• Total voters
unfortunately yes, if you want a club with soul and integrity. Otherwise id support city or Chelsea.

I don’t get what you’re saying at all

What’s soul and integrity got to do with the point I’m trying to make?

Poch has been great for us but he’s not been on the game since the beginning of the year

Our last really good all round performance was at Everton last season

Since then we’ve flattered to deceive playing well in patches only and this is mainly down to team selection and poor bizarre use of substitutes

Blame Levy and injuries all you want but the real reason we’re not playing well is down to the Manager

• January To Late March - 16 games, 9 wins, 1 draw, 6 losses
    • Out of those 9 wins, 5 were at home.
    • Out of those 6 losses, 5 were away.

• Late March to Now- 20 games, 7 wins, 4 draws, 9 losses
    • Out of those 7 wins, 6 were at home. Our only away victory was away to Ajax.
    • Out of those 9 losses, 5 were away.

Total = 36 games, 16 wins, 5 draws, 15 losses.

It's not a stat that impresses.

In fact it's the statistic of mid-table.

I just hope Pochettino recognises the scale of the move back from where we were and that the players have the pride in the club to pull this clear malaise round.

Last edited:
Repeating from t'other thread - too early to say IMHO. I think by the end of the season we will be in a much better position to cast judgment. He has had financial support this last transfer window - unlike for the previous 18 months - so we can make a little more of a considered call on what he's done with better support.

For now I'm still very much in the 'in' camp. Done some fantastic work over the past 4-5 years.

How do you know he can't?
Reaching the CL final IS an accomplishment, if it's not how come we haven't been there more often in our history?

If losing finals is an achievement then we’ve got the perfect team.

I know he couldn’t win the Champo because he can’t beat Champo level teams on a regular enough basis. It’s his biggest weakness.

He’s had 450M worth of players and apparently he’s working miracles on a tight budget.
Yeah I can really see him doing well with what Eddie Howe had in the 3rd division then

I don’t get what you’re saying at all

What’s soul and integrity got to do with the point I’m trying to make?

Poch has been great for us but he’s not been on the game since the beginning of the year

Our last really good all round performance was at Everton last season

Since then we’ve flattered to deceive playing well in patches only and this is mainly down to team selection and poor bizarre use of substitutes

Blame Levy and injuries all you want but the real reason we’re not playing well is down to the Manager

Maybe you're right. I just think he deserves to see the season out at least. Best manager we've had in my lifetime.

fair and balanced view of things;

"There's a certain irony to #BackPoch trending in July and then two months later #Pochout trending for a spell on a Saturday afternoon.

The away form is a massive concern, how can it not be without a win on the road in the Premier League for nine matches, stretching back to January 20?

However, this match at Leicester was not a poor display. It was better than the one a few days before in Greece and were it not for two big missed opportunities from Son when through on goal and two close range weak shots from Harry Kane and not to mention that VAR decision from hell Spurs would have been comfortable winners.

Pochettino came out afterwards and said he felt the performance was good, then upgraded it to 'fantastic' after adding in the late night flight - Spurs got back home at 3am on Thursday morning from Greece - and less than 72 hours to prepare and recover for the game. The fans were not impressed with that adjective.

It wasn't a fantastic performance - he perhaps could have said it was a fantastic effort - but it wasn't horrendous. The manager was probably right the first time when he said it was a good performance up until 83 minutes. There were more than enough bright passages of play and plenty of attacking intent - without Christian Eriksen - to wrap the match up.

Momentum is a powerful thing and Leicester turned the game around. Perhaps Spurs should have been mentally stronger. They were still leading the match.

It also could be pointed out that Leicester were given a big helping hand by Pochettino's decision to introduce Victor Wanyama for Moussa Sissoko.

The Frenchman had that yellow card hanging over his head and had committed a foul just moments before he was replaced by Wanyama with the crowd baying for his dismissal.

The Kenyan's first minutes of the season were a horror show and with hindsight it's easy to say that Eric Dier or Oliver Skipp would have been better options.

However, Dier - much maligned last season - has also not played a single minute yet in this campaign - and throwing 19-year-old Oliver Skipp into the fray might have been seen as the riskiest move of the three, although he would point out that he did come on into the madness at the Etihad earlier this season.

Whether it was ultimately a good or bad performance and whether the fault lay with the players or the manager, the rot needs to stop away from home.

Spurs used to be one of the best on the road and they've become mentally fragile on their travels in 2019. Perhaps it's the psychological work done with them or even simply a lack of real leaders in the camp. It's on Pochettino to find the solution."

If losing finals is an achievement then we’ve got the perfect team.

I know he couldn’t win the Champo because he can’t beat Champo level teams on a regular enough basis. It’s his biggest weakness.

He’s had 450M worth of players and apparently he’s working miracles on a tight budget.
Yeah I can really see him doing well with what Eddie Howe had in the 3rd division then
That's a team that includes Levy as well.
Who are the championship level teams in the prem? Third division players, prem/champions league finalists big deal, should we get fat sam in? He won the Irish first division with Limerick and the third division with Notts County.

I think he has to stay right now. Only because I think he’s as good as we can attract at present. Who is better and is actually proven to be better?

Gaurdiola
Mourinho
Klopp
Simeone

Can we get any of those guys in? If not, stick with what we have.

fair and balanced view of things;

"There's a certain irony to #BackPoch trending in July and then two months later #Pochout trending for a spell on a Saturday afternoon.

The away form is a massive concern, how can it not be without a win on the road in the Premier League for nine matches, stretching back to January 20?

However, this match at Leicester was not a poor display. It was better than the one a few days before in Greece and were it not for two big missed opportunities from Son when through on goal and two close range weak shots from Harry Kane and not to mention that VAR decision from hell Spurs would have been comfortable winners.

Pochettino came out afterwards and said he felt the performance was good, then upgraded it to 'fantastic' after adding in the late night flight - Spurs got back home at 3am on Thursday morning from Greece - and less than 72 hours to prepare and recover for the game. The fans were not impressed with that adjective.

It wasn't a fantastic performance - he perhaps could have said it was a fantastic effort - but it wasn't horrendous. The manager was probably right the first time when he said it was a good performance up until 83 minutes. There were more than enough bright passages of play and plenty of attacking intent - without Christian Eriksen - to wrap the match up.

Momentum is a powerful thing and Leicester turned the game around. Perhaps Spurs should have been mentally stronger. They were still leading the match.

It also could be pointed out that Leicester were given a big helping hand by Pochettino's decision to introduce Victor Wanyama for Moussa Sissoko.

The Frenchman had that yellow card hanging over his head and had committed a foul just moments before he was replaced by Wanyama with the crowd baying for his dismissal.

The Kenyan's first minutes of the season were a horror show and with hindsight it's easy to say that Eric Dier or Oliver Skipp would have been better options.

However, Dier - much maligned last season - has also not played a single minute yet in this campaign - and throwing 19-year-old Oliver Skipp into the fray might have been seen as the riskiest move of the three, although he would point out that he did come on into the madness at the Etihad earlier this season.

Whether it was ultimately a good or bad performance and whether the fault lay with the players or the manager, the rot needs to stop away from home.

Spurs used to be one of the best on the road and they've become mentally fragile on their travels in 2019. Perhaps it's the psychological work done with them or even simply a lack of real leaders in the camp. It's on Pochettino to find the solution."
Crazy imo. If Poch had taken the Madrid job or went for the job at Man U people would have lost their mind.

I'm just starting to think that the CL final was THE chance. We climbed to the summit of Everest and fell off. And once you climb down a mountain, it's monumentally difficult to climb back up again.
It was, the players blew it after all that moaning some of them done about needing to play in the champions league and winning trophies.

But Poch out after 6 games, with Leicester and Bournemouth are 3rd and 4th, Chelsea, Woolwich and Man U behind us? Some perspective is needed.

It was, the players blew it after all that moaning some of them done about needing to play in the champions league and winning trophies.

But Poch out after 6 games, with Leicester and Bournemouth are 3rd and 4th, Chelsea, Woolwich and Man U behind us? Some perspective is needed.

Let me just clarify by saying that I don't WANT poch to go. But I think he's clearly not happy, Real Madrid possibly lurking in the wings, and the attitude of some of our players are going to ensure he won't be here come end of season (or possibly Christmas).

Just my opinion. Hope I am wrong.

I think he’ll finish the season. We won’t make top 4 and he will leave in a mutual decision with the board. Like Klopp did in his last season in Dortmund. Doesn’t matter how good he’s the cycle looks to be over and the players are done with him. We are a better club than we were before him and for that I always be thankful

This little period has run it's course, it's easily been the best spell since I've been a spurs fan from about 96 but all good things must come to an end. Would have loved to have won some silverware as a reminder but looks like it wasn't to be but will always be greatful to Poch for getting us into a position where we are legit big club in the league.

In the end his legacy will be the players he's left behind and the style of play he's imprinted on the club which I hope will force the board to look at appointing a pragmatic manager with an attacking philosophy rather than maybe a big name who likes to play a bit defensive.

Back
Top Bottom